Posts by chrismilne

I ran out to Guitar Center and bought an inexpensive DI box to test (one i saw a few others using...the Livewire one). I made one pretty good profile with an edge of breakup preamp, but the mid gain one sounds like the worst of the cocked wah profiles so many people put out (now i see why, haha). I can not profile high gain because the amp just feedsback and it says its too noisy. The feedback does not occur when i plug in to the amp, so not sure the deal here. Definitely losing patience

Yes, DLS...
    That’s what I understand also, it’s very simplified… Which could be a good thing… But I have talked to a few people in studios and they all say that the countryman is the most transparent DI box they have ever used and they swear by it, so… I will try both and see if I can get some half decent direct profiles

how did these go? Sound the same, different? Which did you keep?

The profile will match the sound of the amp at whatever volume it is set at. For amps with good master volumes that rely more on the preamp for the sounds, you can get good results at just about any volume level. However, if you want to capture a profile of a screaming non-master volume Marshall, you're going to have to profile it at that volume level to get that sound.

Attenuators are another option as you can push the amp hard without blowing out the windows, but again the profile will capture the sound of the amp with the attenuator in the chain. Some attenuators do a really good job of not interfering with the sound and dynamics, but the older, resistive load units (Hot Plate, Marshall Power Soak) are going to start changing things once you go beyond about 8dB of attenuation.

Another option is direct profiles with a load box. This will give you totally silent profiling, but you'll need to add a cab block to the profile afterward to complete it.

Have you actually tried this? the sound coming out of the powerstation reactive load was nothing like the reference amp sound...a lot of people said they had the same issue, just wondering if there was maybe something different you were doing?

They don't make this easy do they?

So i don't have any other direct box, so i tried running the speaker out of the Fryette power station my cabinet and the direct out to the kemper and it wouldn't profile. So i tried to send the direct out to my daw and apparently its not active when running a preamp in to the line in...it only sends the direct out from the amp in (which can itself be the power station, but we already confirmed direct profiles don't work that way with the kemper). So unfortunately i can't create direct profiles still without buying yet another direct box of some sort. This is getting frustrating....

Any hardware recommendations (cheaper the better...that still work). The official Kemper one has never been in stock that i've seen (and is a little pricey). I saw a lot of recommendations for the Countryman (even more expensive...but maybe more versatile).

The only way I can see this working properly is if you take the speaker out from the power station into a DI box / from the DI box into a speaker cabinet, and XLR from DI box to Kemper ...
    I tried to do a ‘silent’ direct profile with a suhr reactive load and got similar results that you are getting.

The DI portion is already built in to the Power Station though....maybe tomorrow i'll try doing what you said or putting it in a closet at least...at least to see what it sounds like.

Hmm, that sort of defies the idea of a Reactive Load box (which is to react like a real speaker)....but who knows what the Kemper is doing. I was in that discussion on this topic and i thought it was determined that the Kemper should at least be able to copy the sound of the Reactive Load, even if it's not capturing the sound of a real speaker.

I'm taking the direct out of the load box (which in this case is the Fryette Power Station)...which is also the power amp since i'm bringing a preamp in to it. The Fryette will let you take the power amp out and feed it right back in the reactive load so you get the sound of the tubes in the power amp without any sound. It all seems to sound fine as the "Reference Amp" , but the Kemper/Profiled amp sounds nothing like that.

I do have access to speakers, but it will be tough to profile anything with proper volume where i have it set up. To me this sounds like a level problem, but changing the level on the amp or the return level in the profiler didn't seem to make much difference.

I'm trying to make my first ever profile (a direct profile) and it sounds hideous, like speakers that are going to explode. I know from other threads reactive load boxes are not ideal, however its what i can do right now. I'm running my guitar in to the kemper, in to a Synergy Preamp->Fryette Power Station with the direct out going to the return input of the Kemper. When i play the reference amp it sounds what i expect (of course no cabinet so it sounds super fizzy), but after the profile its a hideous sound Here's a quick clip alternating between profiled amp and the direct/reference amp.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Anderton's are Kemper salesmen, so of course they'll say or do anything to increase the buzz.

I love the tones from the KPA, so it's still worth the investment just as an amp simulator alone.

I don't see how this benefits anyone...why not just come out months ago and say we're still working on updates, but nothing new coming at NAMM. Why let everyone speculate and get annoyed with a video like that. Strange. I hate the culture Apple has seemed to make so popular of everything having to be a big reveal/event, and is nearly always just a letdown.

Someone on the gearpage said they were at the Kemper booth and spoke to them at length and they said no new announcements were happening this NAMM. So currently not expecting anything unless they are waiting for the right time to announce (like with Andertons or something), which would be odd!

Did they say when they are going to have new Reverbs? At NAMM or just some time in the future?

Hey Guys,

This is a profile of a Synergy amps preamp module of a Morgan AC running into an EL34 power amp into greenbacks. I know its not your typical AC setup but I think it sounds pretty good. Made with a Les Paul Traditionall.
    Feel free to comment if you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy

Is it your Synergy? I just ordered the Syn-2 and the SLO (i'm an old Egnater MTS owner/user)

Please share your experience with Fryette Power Station 2. Are you replacing any other power amp?

So far i haven't used it too much, i have an old Carver Solid State poweramp i'm using right now but its a bit on the fritz. I also have a Peavey Classic 50/50 Tube power amp when i need to run stereo. I got the fryette for running my kemper to a single cab, running my tube Egnater (soon to be Synergy i hope) preamp, recording Direct with the preamps, incorporating the tube section of the poweramp (so far not the greatest luck with that but getting there) and for making direct profiles with the Kemper. I will post back when i get more experience and use for it.