Posts by JSB

I would like to get a profile that sounds like this:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He used two mics to record, one close-up and one for ambience.

I'll definitely get some pictures of the 5F1 build. It should be a quick turnaround, but the tube swapping and profiling with different mics, may take some time.

I was having a hard time waiting for the 57 kit, and noticed StewMac had a 65 Princeton Reverb kit on sale:

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickup…P-Reverb_15W_Amp_Kit.html

The StewMac instructions are incredible, so easy to build with. I'll be profiling this one hopefully this weekend, it's all wrapped, just needs to be soldered.

I'll definitely get back here with the finished results of the 5F1.

I ordered a 5F1 kit from Mojotone.com two weeks ago, it's back ordered for another two weeks, but I'll be profiling the 5F1 and adding it to the RE, by the end of November at the latest.

https://www.mojotone.com/kits/…/Test-Tweed-Champ-Amp-Kit

I've got two sets of NOS RCA tubes, and a set of newer top-rated tubes, ready and waiting to test and profile with.

I really want to capture that classic original tone, and will do everything I can to make the profile sound like a true '57 5W Champ.

Thanks for the replies and the great suggestions! I've taken notes on the mic recommendations.

I have built a couple of radio kits years ago, and many different electronics projects in the past, so I should be alright for these kits.

As it turns out, the hurricane that happened recently down south, affected the supply lines of many of the amp kit makers. I called StewMac yesterday to ask about the timeline, and was told it's been moved to the middle of November, for stock of the '57 and '59. Their site still says 1-3 days though.

This led me to explore other options, such as mojotone.com. Mojotone is also out of stock of everything until mid November, but mojotone is less expensive, and very close in quality to the StewMac kit - it looks like pushback wire is not used in the Mojotone kits, for which I've heard people say they regret using pushback wire (ratty at the ends), so no real loss. I've heard excellent things about Mojotone, so I ordered the 5W Champ.

If this all goes well, I would love to build a tweed Vibrolux, and then a tweed Bassman at some point.

https://www.mojotone.com/kits

I just found these two Fender tweed kits at StewMac, they are both backordered for a week. The kits look excellent, I'm really looking forward to building one of these.

But, having a hard time choosing which one. I have about a week to make a decision, so I thought I'd ask you guys which one you'd pick.

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickup…ini_Tweed_5W_Amp_Kit.html

Instructions for '57 5W:

https://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-10730/10730.doc.0718.pdf

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickup…59_Tweed_15W_Amp_Kit.html

Instructions for '59 15W:

https://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-10730/10730.doc.0718.pdf

What factors would you base your decision on?

Bonus points: which mic would you use to profile your choice?

The remote comes with the cable, no separate purchase is required. If you want a softer, more flexible cable, try one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GVXYOWY

I use the 1.5ft angled cables, for my EP1. This puts the pedal just to the right of the remote. You can use (2) TRS, instead of (1) TS and (1) TRS. This makes it easier to break down and setup, without having to figure out which cable goes where.

Didn't know this was possible with only 4 strings.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Had a list of these already made up -

Apache - The Shadows (1960)
    Surfin Bird - The Trashmen
    Wipeout - The Surfari's</a>
    Bustin' Surfboards - The Tornadoes</a>
    Diamond Head - The Ventures</a>
    Mr. Moto - Belairs</a>
    Pipeline - The Chantay's</a>
    Walk Don't Run - The Ventures</a>
    Surf Rider - The Lively Ones</a>
    Bullwinkle - The Centurians</a>
    Bullwinkle Part II - The Centurians</a>
    Misrilou - Dick Dale</a>
    Commanche - The Centurians</a>
    Commanche - The Revels</a>

I think most of these are Fender Showman/other Fender amp, but VOX AC15 for Apache 1960.

I really like the free Hays Fender Champ 1967, Hays Wyldebassman, Hays Silverface Bassman - but I use monitors in a DAW setting.

The Focusrite interfaces are great for the KPA, especially when using SPDIF, as they have the 75ohm coaxial in and out, like the KPA does. The newer 2nd gen have great drivers and low latency.

The 6i6 is the least expensive model that has SPDIF. The 6i6 has (2) preamps/XLR's, the 18i8 has (4) XLR's.

The Clarett models are better suited for vocals, the Air technology is primarily the upgraded feature, and not really necessary if you're only recording instruments.

If you just need to connect your guitar, two mics, and maybe some line-in instruments, the Focusrite 6i6 is a great value. If you want more mics, go with the 18i8. I started with a 6i6 1st gen, sold it on Reverb and got the 18i8 2nd gen. Excellent compatibility with Ableton Live.

Maybe the best thing to do is to decide what DAW software you want to run first, then find the best interface for that specific software.