Posts by ShadowJumper

What is the right profile ShadowJumper ? Is it from RigExchange or any RigPack? I would like to try myself...

I think it sounds pretty good on any number of profiles... low or medium gain ones (and even some of the high gain ones sound pretty good to me). Settings may vary from one guitar to another (I'm mainly using a Les Paul with a set of original 59 PAFs, which are on the bright/clear side of the spectrum). Turn the volume way down on your Power Station and try these settings in Rig Manager (bring the volume up to tolerance on the PS) and let me know what you think.

The fact that no one seems to like that imprint in the Kabinet shows you just how accurate it is.

I think the V30 imprint sounds really nice when matched with the right profile and like it just fine the way it is... I'm not a high gain player though and appreciate clarity aver distortion 9 times out of 10.

Interesting hypothesis.

When I bought the XiTone MBritt I asked Mick if I needed to break in the speaker, and he replied that there was no need. He was right.

Some speakers are broken in at the factory, I don't believe this is the kase with the Kone.

I'm wondering if the issue with Kone\imprints not working as well with high gain tones as low gain ones is that the speakers are not broken in. Speakers generally don't need to be broken in for good clean tone, but for overdriven/high gain tones there is a big difference. It would be interesting to create imprints of, for example a new Greenback and an old one to see how they compare. I'm not sure if an imprint of a broken in speaker would compare to an actually broken in speaker, but it would be interesting to compare the difference(s).

I guess, this amp in is only relevant, if you would want to use the Fryette as a pure power soak.

IMHO the amp is as 'relevant' as any other power amp and the tubes/glass add a dimension that solid state amps simply don't offer. More accurately, as a power soak/attenuator they are irrelevant for unpowered Kempers but as a transparent amp they are perfect and to my ears work amazingly well with Kabinets/Kones.

Another Reaper fan here... I've been using it for years and every time I check out another I appreciate Reaper's workflow and simplicity more and more... it had been recommended to me as a great place to start and after using it for awhile I never saw a need for anything more.

Hi!

Which is the best poweramp for kemper kabinet? Seymour duncan power stage 170 or something else?

Thanks

There are quite a few threads discussing this at the moment and I don't think there is a definitive answer as to which is best. I really don't think there is a perfect solution yet as every power amp (pedal, rack, internal) seems to have its drawbacks. Whether its not enough solid state wattage, mismatched impedance, incorrect voltage, too much coloration, noisy unit, overpriced, etc. none are perfect as none are designed specifically for this application. I think that hopefully in the next few months there will be new options being offered that are designed for the Kemper/Kone and available in different configurations designed more to individual needs/preferences. Just a matter of time. In the meantime I am using Fryette Power Station, which is perfect for my needs and preferences and I was lucky enough to already have one so there was no need to purchase anything. I am looking fora solid state backup though... the EXH 44 Magnum I have just isn't cutting it, but I think I'll wait for the perfect solution rather than settling for something 'less'.

I am thinking that this Traynor cabinet (DHX12) would make a great donor cab for a Kone. It has the option of being closed or open back. ? it’s also reasonably priced.

https://traynoramps.com/product/dhx12/

Open backs leak bass, which is fine if that's what you're looking for. I think it might not be true FRFR in that case though and the change in dynamics might be more severe than with a regular guitar speaker. It would be interesting to hear what kind of difference it makes though and I'm not sure if the cab is actually taken into account when these are voiced... or if its just the speaker.

nice. Im deciding on 1x12s while my cone arrives. Now im deciding whether to get a plywood cab or go closer to the Kabinet spec and find an MDF cab, which would be even cheaper

I think MDF is perfect for housing the Kone. As is true with open vs closed back the added warmth of plywood might change the dynamics. It would be interesting to test that though...

I'd also love some more tuning options... especially the Peterson Strobo ones, and just as some food for thought in regard to future application, I have several guitars with tronical (robo) tuners and one feature they have is the ability to tune your guitar exactly the way you like it and then save that as a preset. This is in effect profiling your tuning... which I thought fit well with the Kemper philosophy. The ability to save several tuning 'profiles' would then allow for every possible combination and preference.

Anyway, just a thought...

Yesterday ordered the cabinet (will take a week to ship) and seperately a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170. Got the Powerstage today and was very disappointed by the continuous noise of the fan. Now saw in reviews that others have similar experiences.

Will return it, but what power amp to order now???

Haven't tried either but I think I would rather have a Camplifier than a Powerstage... I'm using a Fryette Power Station (PS-1) with my Kabinet and unpowered Toaster and it rocks! I have a 44 Magnum and its pretty good at lower volumes. If I get something more 'substantial' for a solid state amp it will probably be a Camplifier though.