Posts by schreckmusic

One really funny thing is if you look at the session, the overall use of the real recorded bassdrum. ;)
    What I really liked on the "course" (for me it's more like having an inside look than a real course) is this kind of "do what brings you to your goal" - thing. Yes the sources are recorded very good and everything was edited before, but it's a mixing course not a recording or editing course. There are a few interesting things in this session which leads to clear point, with a good strategy you can do whatever you want. For me it was not such an eye opener but entertaining and a little bit educating and this overhead thing is a great one beside of this whole "highpass on everything" style of in the box mixing. I'm sure this will work pretty good on more organic stuff.

What I really like to see is an inside look on Elvis Baskette's Slash mixes and approaches. The drum sound on "world on fire" is so amazing, I would give my Kemper for this (and than buy a new one :D ). I'm also a huge fan of the Tremonti solo records which were produced by Baskette too (Alter Bridge, also) but for me the production of them was way over the top...

Good point. I need to understand what's going on and apply it to my own sound. His mix is awesome for this style of music, I'm just not a fan.

World on Fire is absolutely amazing! The guitar tone has this weird unique sonic quality that I have never heard before. In the reel to reel you can see in the corner 2 Rivera rock crushers. The first one is doing a speaker EQ and the second is set for a Marshall tone stack EQ. I've been messing around with 31 band eqs trying to mimic it, but who knows what else is being used.

Based on the CLA SSD4 expansion pack's promo video, I'd say he "pre-produces" each drum in the kit being recorded to the max before he even commits it to tape, so to speak. Even if he does it afterwards, it's still, I'd say a procedure he's become accustomed to going through before commencing mixing. He knows his sound and could probably concoct it in his sleep.

Maybe that's why all that stuff was missing from the tute; it's his secret sauce, after all, and IMHO it's probably a bunch of outboard compressors and EQ.

it's not a matter of how he recorded it but mixed it. When you have the actual track and look at it piece by piece it's very processed and not organic. I'm not a big pop fan and hate the electronic drum loops he uses and fx cymbal hits. Nicky, if you had the pack I think you'd hear what I'm saying. I'm sure everyone knows I love Slash and his tone by now. My ears are used to listening to all of Slash's solo albums which are organic r&r.

My ilok2 arrived. Now I was able to install the SS plugins and open the CLA mix. I actually do not like the mix at all! It's super over processed and bright. Has 0 organic feeling at all. Anyone else think the same or actually did not like the mix? Maybe that's how CLA mixes a pop song and he would do a rock one differently? Could be my ears are not used to a commercial mix?

Good stuff! Sum 41 reminded me of early Metallica.

External Content youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Another thing CLA doesn't use any limiter in these tutorial but a fellow studio owner who I know went on the mix with the master course in Paris where they watched him mix a Green Day tune and he used the waves L1 a lot nearly in every track

I think I saw a Joey Sturgis tutorial using a L1 on guitars which I thought was odd. But hey, they know a lot more than I do.

I am a successful guitarist and teacher in Washington D.C., Philadelphia, New York area, and before that in L.A. I auditioned for Limp Bizkit in ,'99,and have recorded and sat in, on innumerable projects thru the years but regarding the Kemper and everthing relating to it I am novice. I say this to say that I find the info here in the forum to be very valuable and I would request any conversation or message to me to be related to issues with learning more about the KPA and nothing else .Anythng else is deleted and not even read. , I surely will only post issues with that in mind at this point. The fractal forum is filled with contrary opinions and arguments. And that is what I love about this forum is that in general, I have only experienced positivity.

hahaha dude do I actually know you? Lived in NJ?

Sorry man it was not an obvious thing to me. We disagree and it's all good. I'd rather get my review from someone who actually knows what they're doing (Not saying Justice, as I have no idea who he is)
    People tend to overlook their own capabilities and criticize someone who is far more advanced in the field. Sure a beginner can have an opinion but it's just that, a beginners opinion.

Constructive criticism is one thing, calling someone an asshole is childish. @Monkey_Man I respectfully disagree that everyone is equal here. There are professionals who make a living with production and people like me who do it as a hobby for fun. IMHO their ears are way more trained than mine and any other non professional. If Justice was not pleased he could have contacted the seller to ask if there is something he needs to do to make it sound better before bashing him.

...Which is how it should be! Unfortunately, there's a big piece of the puzzle missing then from an educational standpoint. Especially because of what I imagine the target audience actually is.

Yes, that is very true. If you look at my post, I mainly bought the lessons because of the free ilok2 and free month of plugins. The lessons I thought would be very interesting and entertaining to watch. If I learn at least 1-2 things from it that is awesome. I've watched the Reel to reel of Slash recording because I found it to be entertaining. But.... I actually found a tiny clue as to how he gets his tone and that's why I started creating my own impulses.
    You just never know what you are going to learn.

Good Point, kind of what I meant. Great tone with outboard gear and proper technique. In essence they are forming the tone beforehand is what I meant. Correcting is not the right choice of words

I just bought this last night and was excited to dig in. About 10 minutes into the drums tutorial I came to the same conclusion as all of you. These are professional recorded sounds that were corrected already. The plugins were more icing on the cake. I'm not sure what I will learn from these videos, but I will watch them all.

I also bought Steven Slate Drums Platinum 4 with a few expansions. The prices were cheap enough, so I thought why not. Still have to install it.

* The course comes with a free ilok2 (which I do not have) and a free month of SS plugins for 75$
    That's a pretty good deal! ilok2 is around 38$ SS monthly is 25$. =63$ So the courses are like 12$