Posts by BigYinUK

I don't use any effects, just the Kemper. Very strange as I've had the Kemper 2 years and never had anything like that happen before, although I have had issues with the remote and POE.

Just one thing to note is that I never had any issues at all with the Kemper prior to installing v8.x series firmwares.

Hi all.

I had to reboot my KPA mid-gig as all my sounds were terrible. Initially I thought it was me, but when I switched to a cleaner tone, there was obviously a problem. All sounds were thin and over distorted. A restart fixed it and all was well for the rest of the show.

Any ideas?

I'll see if I can borrow a remote to test. One of my friends has a Kemper so I can probably try that with my remote and see which component is causing the problem. One issue though is that it only does it the once when first powered on. Once its crashed and been rebooted it is reliable for the duration of the gig. No issues at all when not using the remote though.

Perhaps the original cable is broken.

Although I suppose that's not impossible, it works fine with a computer to a hub and works fine with my TP-Link POE150s - KPA to Remote. I measured it at 24ft by the way, so well within spec (cable supplied by Kemper). I've literally only used the cable 6 or 7 times as I usually use a short 2m Cat5e cable.

As I'm using the stock cable and still having issues, as you say, there may well be something wrong with the profiler or the remote. But it is reliable with a short (2m) cable so I'm releuctant to send it back PLUS I use it all the time and can't really be without it.

I have used switch cleaner and an air duster on the sockets at both ends but it made no difference.

As I probably will need to use longer cables than the supplied one, I'll live with the POE injector in the rack with the KPA and see how it goes once I get back to gigging after Xmas.

Thanks for all the replies.

That's what I've done, put the POE injector in my rack. See my post above - built in POE won't even run down the Kemper supplied Ethercon cable. Love the KPA but really not impressed with this issue.

It's not dodgy. It's not designed to push long cable runs. The longer the run, the more capacitance. The more capacitance - the more current (amperage) needed. At 45 feet, you're well beyond what the KPA was designed to deliver on its own.

Think of it like using a buffer in a pedalboard. It isn't that the pedals suck or that the board is improperly designed - its physics.

But it doesn't work reliably with your supplied cable which is within your own specs. Seems mighty strange that I can buy a $20 POE injector and run it down 100 metres?

I've had a lot of reliability issues with the Kemper which, after quite a bit of fiddling about, seems to be linked to the ethernet cable and remote.

Luckily it has stayed up during performances but on power up the remote doesn't power up - plugging / unplugging bring the remote back up but as soon as you play a note the Kemper crashes. Power back up and its all OK.

I have spoken to support about this and they suggested I try a POE injector, and this is where it gets interesting.

Even with the POE injector at the Kemper end of a long 45ft heavy duty cable (which incidently wouldn't work with just the KPA and remote) its 100pc reliable.

Is there something inherently dodgy about Kemper's implementation of power to the remote?

Regards all

Hi all.

I've had my Kemper now for a couple of years and its been really reliable.... up to now.

I've had it crash twice now on starting up at shows, green screen and you have to power off & on again to get it going. Sorry didn't manage yet to get a screen shot as too concerned with just getting it up and running.

My suspicion is that there is some corruption in the performances as both times it was switching to performance mode that caused the crash and I've been moving performances back & forth in Rig Manager as we have been doing festivals which require different set lists.

Is there a way to do a "deep reset" on the KPA? Then I could put everything back from a backup and go from there.

Any ideas?

Running latest Rig Manager (Mac OS) and latest KPA firmware - This still doesn't appear to work, can't Copy/Paste multiple performances to Profiler from Local Library. Bit of a PIA tbh as I work with multiple bands and set lists and having to copy one performance (song) at a time is well, rather time consuming.

How do I highlight this to Kemper / add a feature request - although its not really a feature request as it used to work.

CelticGibson I'm sure you're right. I have used a pair of F12-X200s with my Kemper and they were OK but nowhere near as "real amp in the room" as the K12H-200TC. I've sold them now. As long as its good through FOH though, I won't worry too much :) Everything in life is a compromise I find :)

@Kim_Olesen I am using a K12H-200TC as my backline. I expected it to sound as it does though tbh. Just wondered though if anyone had any EQ tips etc to make it sound better. Works fine for me though as at gigs I'll be through the PA. How it sounds through my cab isn't that important tbf.

I see there's a few threads on cables with the Kemper remote.

I just bought a new 15m cable, heavy duty, much like the Kemper one and it doesn't work. Kemper remote display flashes on and off a few times and then goes off.

It does however work with a flimsy computer CAT5 cable but not with two other identical ones.

Seems really picky about cables......

Is this a fault or "normal"?