Posts by AnthonyNYC

I'm very new to Kemper ownership and lurked the forums a bit before making the purchase. When something is new to me is when I generally have ideas about it, so these are my thoughts on a few improvements:

Forums

• Having a private forum for registered owners only is a great idea, it keeps down spam and sheer post volume to a more manageable level. I've seen people complain about it, but I think it is an important aspect of the forum.
    • A few topics in the public and private forum are capable of attracting posts which could easily fit in either forum. Specifically, the Public Forum section: Profiler - Questions and Answers & the Private Section: Profiler Related Discussions. Both of these sections could by definition be appropriate for the same post or question.
    • I think the public forum should change the section: Profiler - Questions and Answers to Profiler - Pre-Purchase Questions and Answers. Thereby separating the types of questions had by an owner who has played with and manipulated the profiler from a person trying to make a decision on the purchase by asking questions that might not be asked by a person with the preamp in their possession. It would be more efficient if there were only one place to post a certain type of message.
    • I think the section titled Introduce yourself should be moved to the Private forum because it implies that one should be an owner in its description. This isn't so important though.

Rig Exchange/List/Download Suggestions

One of the most confusing things to me when I first turned on my lightly used Kemper Prifiler was how to do a full factory reset and restore only the rigs that came from the factory from Kemper. This perplexed me for a little bit and after searching and asking here I found all the answers. I ended up just deleting all the rigs and then restoring them from the firmware. That was confusing though as there were only 337 rigs when the lists I found had over 500 factory rigs on them. 2 days ago I found the answer to that question here: http://www.kemper-amps.com/pag…mplifier___Downloads.html

In the entry titled Factory Content 3.1 (August 2015) it states why 337 rigs are loaded.

In total though, all this rig info is scattered. Currently, these are the sources of info on rigs:
    Rig Manager
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/sharerigs
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/pag…mplifier___Downloads.html
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/pag…__Mic_Reference_List.html
    http://www.wikpa.org/Factory_Rigs

It would be helpful if all this info was in one or two places maximum. Also, using the rig manager I see Kemper Amps as an author for a few rigs - but I have no way of telling which rigs were made by Kemper (unless I missed something). So if I want to check out only factory rigs, the best way to currently do it is download them all from the download page and run through them after putting them into a folder in the Rig Manager.

Hope some of this helps with small improvements and/or sparks some ideas.

Cool, thanks. I do have to keep reading.

I can now say that I do love the Kemper. It has a permanent spot in my tiny home studio on a rolling shelf, and I even built a little custom wood S/PDIF cable support so I don't destroy it when rolling it short distances.

I was wondering why the Kemper has so many "product groupies", and now I know. It's a unique device for sure, and as I learn the effects of manipulating the controls - I understand the thinking behind it more and more. In 6 months I should have a much better handle on it. Will be very interesting to see what each firmware upgrade brings as well.

Well, late last night while my wife was asleep I got on the headphones and played a bit more...

After more forum and manual reading I discovered the clarity control in the amp pages as well as the clean and distortion sensitivity controls. I guess this is true with any device or amp - getting good sound just took a little bit of time spent adapting the settings to my guitar a bit. It happens pretty fast though, as excessive adjusting was not necessary.

Clarity and clean/dist sens combined with pure cab and definition really make an enormous difference in the sound quality that I heard on the first day.

It was just suggested in the feature requests section that pure cab be assignable by rig, and I think that is 100% needed. The global setting should still exist, however. I also think the same would be smart to implement for clean and distortion sensitivity. I'm playing through an LTD EC1000 with the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. What I noticed is that some profiles sound great using the bridge PU with the sensitivity on zero. However, the cleaner ones really need me to turn the clean sens down -3 or -5. While some of the high gain rigs seem like they were really designed for a higher gain pickup, and on those the JB sounds good at a distortion sens of zero.

Playing more, I am beginning to see some of the artistry and musical thought that went into the programming of this machine. The thought "love" did cross my mind, but I didn't speak the words, so the Kemper doesn't know yet. I'm beginning to understand why this machine has commanded the type of response it has. A high level of thought is behind it, and its parameters, though digital - have an organic feel. This is day 3, so there's still the excitement factor,I wonder what I'll think in a month.

Another big thanks.

After messing around with pure cab and the definition level it makes a huge difference out of my cheap KRK Rokit5 monitors. This evening I was able to get some pretty nice sounds and discovered that sinmix makes some very interesting rigs. Also experimented at the other end with a nice, clean, reggae patch. Dialed in some reverb and delay, adjusted the eq, and it got pretty sweet. Everything just seems to need a slight tweak and you get a different sound.

Pure cab is definitely an interesting effect. It works well on some rigs, while others sound better without it and are noticeably more tube-like with pure cab off. I guess in the end it depends on how the amp was captured all the way from settings, to mic placement, to levels. I notice that there are some rigs that I just cannot get to de-fizz to a level that's usable. I assume that the handling of this continue to evolve in time with software experiments/updates.

Also, pure cab, combined with definition, and space effect made playing through headphones a completely different experience than it was on my first try.

After awhile of messing around with patches through my monitors and looking for the next rig that sounded more interesting than the last, I think I actually started to get used to the tone being decent to the point where I began taking it for granted that I was playing my guitar through a pair of monitors and not an amp. That in and of itself is pretty cool. Can't say I love the machine yet, but it's surely a very strong like at this point - and it's only day 2.

Ah. That sounds like a good idea for sure. The bass player sort of extends his some of his notes by dragging his finger on the pad longer for longer periods of time, which might be the hardest part to capture. The wah input might help there for sure.

Post the results for if they work out! Good luck with it.

That makes sense. I'm finding that I do not want most of them in there anyway.

There are a handful I like, but it seems like tweaking is needed to get some sounds I'll find useful. Surprised at how fuzz filled some of the sounds are, maybe it's my monitors but the machine seemed to sound better going into my amp.

Hello folks.

Received my very slightly used Kemper Profiler today (non powered version). I'm trying to get it to a factory new internal state so that I can begin the messing around.

So far, shutting off the cabs globally and running it into my 2x12 Fender Amp, I like the sound! I am about to go S/PDIF out to a MOTU 828MKii and some KRK Rokit 5's to see how that is in comparison.

The preamp is running firmware 3.2.1.11625, which looks like the latest. I did a full reset/initialization as outlined in the wiki (turn on in tuner mode, hold softkey 1). I reset the global settings just to be sure as well.

It loaded up 337 rigs, and I noticed that the full factory list contains over 500 on the wiki, and seems even longer in this list: Factory Rig Reference List (revised December 18th, 2015)

This is the one on the wiki, in case any other new guys find this thread: http://www.wikpa.org/Factory_Rigs

Did I do something wrong or is there an additional step I need to take to load the full factory set? Thanks.

Thanks Frodebro, Vaughnfats, Raoul23, and Zapman.

Zapman - tone snobs are the kind I was hoping for! The sounds I've heard and the engineering/theory behind the Kemper are what attracted me to it. Seeing Muse live recently and hearing they used one didn't hurt either. Seems like all those really thick, rich sounds I was looking for as a kid but could never afford are now possible.

Vaughnfats - I'm just an amateur as far as playing goes. Recently picked up my guitar after not playing for a couple years, plugged into my Fender Hot Rod Deville and been messing around with my acoustic as well. Also took my Boss GT10 out of it's box and just kind of couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. Some of the effects were really good/interesting if set up right, not so much the distortions - but overall the sound wasn't to my taste. The last rig I owned and really liked the sound of was an old ADA MP1 coupled with a TC Electronic G-Major, but I sold it 5 years ago after cleaning out some gear. Now I'm just looking to simplify/minimize to cut down on complexity, the minimalist approach.

I look forward to hearing at bunch of those rigs on the exchange, maybe 5000. My wife is cool and loves music, but already told me - "you'd better practice now after spending so much money..." Hey that's better than some wives would say! So now I'm practicing, I'm practicing...

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated! Somewhere I read a comment that people on this forum we snobs.

From reading through some threads and the response I got here, I'd have to strongly disagree - everyone here seems cool to me. Also, very experienced, professional, and knowledgeable.

This seems like a very adult forum, which I suppose is rare these days.

I don't even have the profiler in my possession yet, just bought the non-powered head used for $1,400 last week. Will arrive on Tuesday. The seller un-registered it and gave me the serial number so I could register and have access to the software/rig exchange, and the private forum.

Have not heard it live yet, and made the purchase based on research & YouTube. I'm curious though - with 7,000+ available profiles in the rig exchange, is there a problem with addiction to profile hoarding? ;)

Seems like there would be, as that's an insane number!

Thanks paults, ahh - the search was hiding under my nav bar.

That is a good point viabcroce - you can't control how folks name things unless you restrict naming conventions to a set of fixed options.

Thank you for the welcome whippinpost91850!

Based on this input, I guess overall my posting is sort of a waste of space here on the forum, so if a mod wants to delete this please feel free.

Ethics are one of the first things I thought about when coming across the Kemper Profiler.

I thought - well, if this tech really works - it will save space and waste while reducing the impact of the human tendency to over-produce absolutely everything (including guitar amps and equipment).

In a way, Kemper can reduce a guitarist's environmental impact by allowing him/her to do much more with less. Less materials, no wood (although a wooden Kemper would be nice), and less time, energy, and fuel wasted with lugging enormous and varied rigs. It would be cool to just have one machine that could literally make any sound in the best way possible. Why not? It reduces waste.

New technology kills old technology all the time. In the long run, yes - Kemper may reduce real amp sales. But that's the way things work, and in this case I think it is a good thing for many reasons.

DVD's killed the VCR. Netflix and the internet has killed the DVD. Advanced mobile devices are reducing PC sales.

Hello folks. I'm brand new to the Kemper Profiler and after browsing around for a week I have a couple of suggestions for improvement to the Rig Exchange and the Forum. If it is inappropriate to post this here, please feel free to delete this thread.

For the forum, I think it would be excellent to add a search function to the top of the right sidebar.

As for the Rig Exchange, it is awesome! Since it is pretty full, I think it would be great to add a way to limit a search by Amp Manufacturer. It would be nice to just be able to browse only through Fender Guitar Amps for instance. This may be an issue, however, as I do see some profiles uploaded with an amp profile of "VOX-ToneLabSE" - which as we all know is an effects unit. Possibly, effects units could all be lumped into one "effect units" category -- which would be very interesting to browse in and of itself!

Bass profiles and guitar profiles could also be separated.

As for sorting, it would be helpful to be able to sort by 2 more parameters: 1) The number of reviews a profile has, and 2) The amount of times a profile has been downloaded (which could be shown as well).