Posts by ElDoca

Gemini and Atomic are arriving the week of the 26th. My office in Santa Clara is closed from the 30th-2nd and will be empty and available. Or, if anyone has a more appropriate venue, I'm open for suggestions. Can't hold onto them too long, I'll need to ship them back before the return window closes. Or, if anyone is blown away by what they hear, you're welcome to buy it for my exact cost. Don't know which one I will keep, but I get first pick :) Let's stick to PMs or email when discussing specific addresses, etc

...want to test out some FRFR? I have a Yamaha DXR10 and a Matrix FR12 with an Atomic CLR and Mission Gemini on the way. I got tired of reading all the opinions and decided to hear them all for myself side by side. And, if anyone has a Xitone, that would be awesome.

Thanks CJGOMEZ.

I wonder if the downgrade is necessary , or just deleting and reloading the profiles would correct the problem? I'll probably just do the downgrade anyways to be safe at this point.

It seems it was necessary for my situation. Just wiping my KPA had no effect. Just downgrading had no effect. Downgrading then wiping fixed my issues and that seemed to have helped a few other people too.

So being a noob here, what risk do I take doing this?
    Will this procedure work?

• Take a backup (have to figure that out)
    • Downgrade to 4.x
    • Wipe Flash
    • Upgrade
    • Restore my backup
    • Don't import any new delay presets??? Do I need to find those and delete them before I do my backup?

Only thing I didn't do on your list was restore the backup, I didn't want any remnants of the prior setup. I just imported all my profiles and cabs after going back up to v5. I have not imported the new delays yet, I'm getting rather fed up with it so I don't want to mess it up again. I've owned this thing for less than a year and I've already sent it back twice for repairs and countless hours of troubleshooting. Actually, I'm willing to bet I've spent more time trying to fix things than playing.

Hope the fix works for you

Thanks Douzable, I tried restoring, downgrading, then back upgrading to try to fix my tone issues with no effect. I read this thread...downgraded, then init flash, then upgraded back to v5 and my issues went away. I suspect it was the new delay presets as well.

Seems to me lately that I've been having to significantly turn down the presence of many profiles and up the treble to compensate to get rid of this high frequency fizz. I know we've been told over and over that updates don't effect the tone of profiles, but I don't remember ever having to do this before.

Budget amps or expensive pro equipment...whatever works for you, don't let anyone try to convince you that something sounds bad. But, with that said, by not going FRFR, you're missing all sorts of opportunities to try various cabs and speakers. You're limiting yourself to just that ONE setup. It might sound great with some profiles but not so great on others and you're stuck with it. And, let's be honest, of course a real guitar cabinet is going to sound better than a simulated one!!! Guess what, a real amp will too! But, limiting yourself to just one rig isn't why most of us bought into the KPA.

I've only found the "stepped" knobs (Type and Browse ones) to feel a little-less robust than the conventional ones, which on my unit have no "play"/ lateral movement, which is great. Personally I just try to be careful when using the two I singled out. AFAIK, those two do have a little lateral play on all units; this is normal.

Yeah, you'll void your warranty if you attempt to tighten them from the inside as you were contemplating. IMHO, you'd be better off leaving them alone and if there's an issue you'd think they'd fail within the 3-year warranty period, at which time you could get them fixed for the price of shipping alone.
    If they continue to function perfectly throughout the 3-year period, they're likely operating within spec.

In the US, opening up or circumventing a security seal will not automatically void warranties no matter what the manufacturer warnings may say. If something does go wrong, it is up to the manufacturer to prove the tampering caused the problem. When dealing with electronics, yes, one static charge can render an entire device useless so it's best to let an official repair place do the work. But if you make a custom mount, for example, and drill a couple holes in the case and then later your LCD goes out, you are fully covered under the warranty unless the manufacturer can prove you caused the damage. that proof would have to be definitive and not just "it could have caused it". Unfortunately, it is not illegal for manufacturers to put unenforceable claims on tamper seals. Europe usually has even stronger consumer protection laws so I wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case in other countries.

U.S. 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

What's funny is, I've got an Agile 24 fret neck through LP copy with Zhangbucker custom wound pickups that smokes about every $2000-$6000 guitar I've ever owned. That CE24 is just a rare guitar that I've not wanted to change the pickups/electronics on.
    :)

We agree on the CE24 but maybe I got an Agile dud. My LP copy was nowhere near the hype I had read about. Fake flame top, very short tenon compared to the ones people showed online and very sticky finish once the sweat started flowing. They said it was solid mahogany and I'm not a tree expert and have no education in field of wood identification...but, I would have put down money that it was poplar or maybe even paulownia the way I was able to dig my fingernail into the wood in the control cavity and inconsistent wood grain in the see-thru rear finish. But, with that said, it sounded good and the hardware was surprisingly well made but, when it came down to playing, it was never a guitar I would grab for first. See the MIJ Burny in my avatar? Got it for the same price as a top-of-the-line Agile LP and it's as solid as they come and will appreciate in value. Definitely a better value than any Agile. I wouldn't say it blows away my Gib Les Paul, but it comes close for 1/5 the price. Sorry, I just get a massive chill down my spine anytime I read online that some guy's Agile with GFS pickups "blows away" this or that. Never tried Zhangbuckers but I'm a loyal WCR guy :)

PRS CE24. Love it wayyyyy more than my Custom 24.

Funny because my CE24 got way more use than my Custom 24 as well. Loved it so much I went out and got a CE22 to round out the collection and absolutely hated it. Don't know if it was simply the position of the pickups or sound of the Dragon pickups or maybe it was simply a dud...but it didn't stay with me very long. Luckily, most PRS owners only care about how it looks so it sold quickly.

Sounds like mine when I go through the alternative input. Not only is there more noise, but it sounds like my guitar is fretting out. I'd go on but I'd probably get more "blunt" talk or insults about my reading comprehension.

Do you know what has caused the sound breakup or what Kemper Team fixed? Dying capacitors, loose connection, ...?

I didn't get specifics but was just told it was a "hardware problem" the first time. Still waiting to get my KPA back this second time and haven't been told if it is the same issue or something new.

Sounds like a lot of people are complaining about similar things and Kemper is trying to figure out which units have hardware problems and which ones are software issues. Probably not the easiest thing to do over email. They way I explained my problem (extreme sound breakup after 30 min of use) I was told to RMA it immediately with no audio samples needed. Perhaps your problems are more indicative of a software issue and your preferred profiles and settings cause your issues to happen. If so, a replacement unit is not going to help you

This is the second time I've had to get my KPA fixed for the same thing and I'm not nearly as annoyed as you are. I even waited two weeks between support emails because I got the 'ol "never got the email" excuse. Yes, I sold all my amps too but realized, after borrowing others', anyone who is serious about playing isn't going to put all their faith into one piece of equipment so I went out and bought myself a pedal preamp and cab sim as a backup. Not nearly as versatile as my KPA but it fits in a small bag and plugs right into the main board or powered monitor, just like my Kemper, and has been very reliable so far.

Gotta be blunt here...if you're serious about recording, use that money to buy yourself a quality microphone and practice miking a cabinet. That skill will be a lot better for you in the long run than throwing money at new equipment. But, I'm going to guess that you're in an apartment or something and can't make too much noise. Trust me, we've all been there. If that's the case, you really need to compromise and understand you're not going to get your perfect tone that way. If it was just as easy as throwing a Torpedo and a load box on top of an amp, a lot of sound engineers would be out of a job. Additionally, out of all the Kemper cabs and free cabs available that were done by people with decades of recording experience and thousand dollar microphones and none of them are to your liking, I really don't see how a Torpedo will be any different for you.

Or, maybe there's just something seriously wrong with your Fryette

Sounds like a similar issue I was having. If it is, unfortunately, it's a hardware issue that requires repair. I had my repair done in July and the problem came back and I just sent it out again this week. Upon initial startup, it sounds great. But, after playing 20-30 min the sound just gives out as if a tube went dead or, like you said, like your guitar is fretting out badly. Funny part is, I held onto my old amps until I was sure the KPA was right for me. Right after I sold them, my Kemper went dead. I was bragging to my friends about how great it is and now I'm borrowing their amps and getting a lot of teasing haha

*edit* After listening to your audio example, my issue was a LOT worse so it may be something different than from what I was experiencing.