Posts by ColdFrixion

I don't have a problem with people selling profiles commercially since time and money and the labor involved to make a superior product is worth something, in my opinion. It will only sell if there's a demand, though.

In any case, I think your idea is a really good one and it would be for the benefit of all.

All very good suggestions. I'll no doubt scout the lay of the land before jumping into anything. One advantage I considered with custom profiling is that it's tailored to your guitar, but I agree about taking my time before diving into a studio to start profiling. As for mic placement and setup time, as Ingolf was saying, this is where an experienced engineer serves you well.

Anyway, thanks again for the input.

My Kemper should be here tomorrow and I'm planning to purchase some commercial profiles because I don't have any amps of my own, not to mention I live in an apartment. Now, maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself but once I wrap my head around profiling I thought about booking some time in one of the more well-known and reputable studios in my city for the sole purpose of profiling their amps. After all, they have the proper acoustic space, mics, and setup to make it happen professionally. The studio in question charges $75 an hour, and I don't have a problem spending somewhere around $225 for a session. However, since I don't have the unit and am not familiar with the profiling process, I have no idea how many amps I could profile in a 3 hour period. I assume it would partly depend on the number of amps profiled and the amount of time it takes to mic each one up. Anyway, it sounded like a pretty good idea to me but like I said, maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself. Incidentally, I've already contacted the studio and they're cool with it. They were just wondering how much time I might need.

Thoughts?

So I was experimenting with mixing the Axe delay with the Kemper delay.

This is recorded mono as that is what I am set up to do, wish I would have switched to stereo for this test!

I'd be interested to hear a stereo version solely with the Axe delay.

Anyone care to guess if the amp was Kemper, Axe or Kemper profile of Axe? :)

I'm leaning toward the Axe but it might be easier to assess in stereo without the mixed delay.

You are in for a real treat when you get the KPA! While I have been talking about the Axe in this thread, the Kemper is a great piece of human ingenuity and fun to play. I remember just smiling from ear to ear the first time I plugged in and played it. Combined with the Axe it gives you more options than you will know what to do with and once 4.0 lands the combined package is going to be even better and more flexible. The pitch effects in the KPA can't be beat and we may be able to move some of the effects from the Axe to the new KPA effects and free up some process in power on the Axe. What a great time to be a guitarist!!!

I'm super excited at the thought of having both units. Just for kicks, I've downloaded and re-amped a few Kemper samples through the Axe using some of the Axe's effects and the result was really beautiful. The first order of business will be to buy some Michael Britt profile packs.

I own an Axe II XL+ and will probably be buying a Kemper soon to add to my arsenal.

All I can say is, when top artists and engineers are using both units in their studio and on the road, it says something about the accuracy and authenticity thereof.

That said, I haven't used a Kemper heretofore, but my impression is that the amp models may sound slightly more accurate / authentic right out of the gate, though that isn't to say the XL+ can't be made to sound practically indistinguishable with a little (or a lot) of tweaking. I don't know and won't know until I get my hands on a Kemper. My plan at this point is to run the Kemper into the Axe in order to use the XL's effects with the Kemper's amps, though that isn't to say I'll be abandoning the Axe's amp and cab sims. I won't. It's mainly because Axe-Edit is awesome, and will simplify adding effects regardless which amps I use.