Posts by norburybrook

As I mentioned earlier (I think), I really really wish this had been posted in another section so that those off us who likely know most about the topic could participate. This is a very very weird rule IMO. At least it could be implemented more sensibly.

Ah Ok my bad then, I wasn't aware of this. It seems strange to have a discussion about commercial profiles that commercial profilers aren't allowed to participate in.

mod's feel free to delete my threads, I wasn't aware of the rules on this. usually a mod will send you ands email if you've over stepped the mark.

M

Ok, I'm here because I'm interested in the thread and would hope commercial sellers would come here to openly discuss their methodology, surely that's what I would want as a customer. You'll have to ask the OP if that's what he was hoping. If not I'm happy to bow out. I thought I could bring something to the table here.

I was just opening into a discussion and following things down the paths that opened up.

M

honestly I wasn't trying to be facetious, I was saying that the subtleties of what I used on one particular 'demo' were very subtle and I could guarantee I can upload the same files with out it and no one would be able to tell the difference. If you read my replies I was saying I take on board what you say and will bear that in mind next time.

I think you've taken this the wrong way, and that's a problem with internet communication I believe. My whole premise of profiling is keeping it real I was only trying to be open and transparent about how and why I do what I do. I still stand by the fact that 99% of people auditioning profiles on their laptops/phones prosumer monitors would not be able to hear a tape sim used lightly or 2db of master bus compression hence me going down the line to the AD convertors.

Again, I'm saying I'm with you on this whole processing to enhance profiles thing so I don't know why you would think I was being facetious. It's why I was interested in this thread. I want to make the best profiles around and keep up a high standard in the whole 'service' hence I've just spent a lot of money on a new web site to incorporate a proper 'shop' with instant downloads.

Thinking about this: even if people put a disclaimer saying post processing was used, would that mean that most people then wouldn't buy the profiles? an analogy: I walking down the market and I want to buy some golden delicious apples, there are two stalls with the same apples, one vendor has polished up his apples and put the best looking ones on display, the other has the raw, dirty apples, who are most people going to buy from? if you have a choice of two JCM800 profiles, even if there's a disclaimer saying post processing was used in the demo, are people 1: going to buy the one that sounds best in the demo or NOT buy that one because it mentions processing and buy the one they don't think sounds as good because it hasn't? Personally I feel most people will go for the one that has the best sounding demo regardless. It reminds me of the loudness wars with music, louder always sounds 'better' to people so music got mastered louder and louder so their record sounded better than the competition, no one was brave enough to say enough as they didn't want THEIR record to be the one that was quieter :D just throwing some stuff into the mix here over coffee.

I'm still learning about all this stuff and there's a lot to learn after you've done the hard work of profiling, so threads like this and communicating on the forums are an integral part of learning what people expect, want , are happy with, not happy with, again I said I would take on board what you said, I can't do anymore that that :D

M

I don't think it's uncommon or unrealistic to note what gear you use in recording. I often see something like "recorded through a Focusrite 18i20 interface direct to ProTools with no additional processing" in the text associated with demos.

Brian

I say what the signal chain is for the profiling I don't tend to bother with the actual demos.

I will also bear this in mind next time to mention the actual equipment used in recording the demos if that's what people want. Before I started this I asked if people wanted videos and 99% of people said no, they wanted high quality audio. I personally want this too when choosing profiles so went along with this. It's the sound that matters first and foremost.

of course you are relying on the profiler to be 100% truthful here though, it would be easy to massage your demos and not say so, perhaps that's what the OP has experienced and the reason for the thread.

It's a good discussion though.

M

no argument honestly. My point earlier about riding the volume knob was just an observation that several demos (Tone Junkie for example) often do ride the volume pot which can change the sound quite a bit depending on the guitar being used so it is another potentially significant variable rather than simply a means of matching the gain.

I always ride the volume pot on my demo's because of the kind of amps I use. Some players don't work that way, they use pedals and keep their volume on full.

@Monkeyman, I hear what your saying and I'll personally bear that in mind for my next demos. If I record to tape in my studio then should I say in the notes these demos were recorded to tape? 2 db of master compression is a lot less than will happen if you upload to you tube, or convert to mp3. Also if you're recording the analogue out's from the Kemper the quality of the AD conversion will have an effect, should that be specified too? my Apogee convertors sound different from my Yamaha/steinberg ones, that will affect what your hearing in the demos if your listening on a good system. where do we stop with this?

all food for thought.

Marcus

Absolutely, that's why I upload full 24 bit wav's to either my web site directly or soundcloud. @Monkeyman I hear what you're saying and trust me if I thought I was deliberately 'enhancing' the sound to mask bad profiling I'd be with you 100%. I would categorically state that if I removed the slight master bus compression and tape sim, no one would be able to tell the difference it's that subtle.

I'm being fully open about my particular process here as I've nothing to hide and stand by my profiles.

I will perhaps in future then go back to a direct straight out into my surface if people feel that using good recording studio/tape is enhancing the sound.

I'll add that the two Dumble amps in my profile sets are so dynamic that it would be more or less impossible to recreate what I played sound wise as they respond to your touch so dynamically, even with the same guitar. throw in a different player and a different guitar you'll be adding another set of variables. .The thing is though that's exactly how it would be with the real amps, which is why dumble would only sell amps to certain players, and some players don't get on with dumble amps, they're incredibly unforgiving :D

The good thing is though I've had people buy these profiles and tell me it's the closest they've come to playing the real thing, these are people who have owned/played the real thing in the past and know how they're supposed to sound/feel/repond

Marcus

Personally my whole thing with profiling is to get the authentic, mic'd sound of the amp, cab as if I were about to record it for a record. I generally record all gtr's dry for myself so I like a clean,high quality signal chain.

When I've done my profiles and edited all the meta data, I plug my kemper into my surface 2 with a steinberg UR22 and a pair of phones and go through 5 or 6 different profiles recording with a a few different guitars. I use the FX on the kemper. Some of my demos are a bit rough and ready as I literally just record a direct noodle with the sound, but I feel the rawness gives you a 100% reliable impression of what you'll get. It's also the reason I don't High pass filter my profiles. In a live/studio situation I would generally take out the bottom end on a guitar depending on musical context, however I believe yo should get the whole picture to start with and then edit to taste, you can't put back what's not there in the first place.

My latest profiles, the running on empty set, I had a tape sim and some SSL compression on the master bus as I recorded the demo's on my studio, I didn't feel this changed the end result as it's subtle.

I'll also add I have a set of $10,000 monitors in a treated room so what I hear back is reliable too. I spend a lot of my life mixing records so I have to have a reliable monitoring source, this helps a lot with the profiling process too as I know that when I finish a profile it sounds exactly as it should.

that's my 2 cents as they say :D

Marcus

That's pretty damn cool, "Hey, where's your Dumble"? "Oh, no biggie, Larry Carlton is borrowing it"! Haha, love it! Killer man, and killer sounding pack too!

it was a trip :D

So I'm cooking dinner and about to put my spaghetti in the pan and I get a phone call from a friend, I'm with Larry Carlton and his amps haven't arrived, let me pass you on to Larry...…………..

LC: Hi it's Larry

me: Hi Larry , how's it going?

LC; Not great...…….

me; er...yes well I'd heard...….

LC: I've tried 6 rental amps and they're all rubbish

me: Yes well rental companies don't care about tone just so long as they work.

LC: so you've got some great amps I hear.

me: Yes, do you want to borrow them?

LC: really?

me: Sure, no problem.

M

Matt,

I've emailed them to you. Check your spam folder if they're not in your inbox.

I will endeavour to get the web site finished this weekend and then the shop will be able to allow direct downloads. The actual Kemper shop is done but I've got the rest of it to finish before I can publish.

thanks again to everyone for the continued support, I really do appreciate it.

Marcus

May I ask; would people prefer having a direct download rather than waiting for me to send out profiles?

I'm working on a new web site and shop that will enable people to download directly.
    It's part of consolidating my own site, my studio site and the Kemper profiles so it's quite a lot of work but I'm hoping it should be up next week.

Also, have people had enough of 'dumble ODS' amps? I've one more, the 100w Bluesmaster HRM which was Dumble's only Marshall based ODS, but I'm wondering if I should do the Trainwreck rocket/Z wreck next.

M

I don't understand, is this a true Dumble or a clone ?

As it say's, it's a recreation, as close as possible to the original 1970 #40 ODS, some people call them clones yes :D

the original didn't have a full FX loop or the FET level control on the front. This amp can use the dumbleator which later ODS can too, which adds to the palate of sounds. Having the FET control on the front makes for a controllable clean boost. Both these things don't alter the original tone but add later functionality.

here's gut shot of the amp in it's construction. and the original ampkemper-amps.com/wbb/attachment/7111/

Marcuskemper-amps.com/wbb/attachment/7111/

Marcus,the JoBo Profile itself is worth the money. Omg what a great sound.

thanks, yes that was a real surprise for me too. I've had the 80's Dumble amps for a few years but never thought about the Jazz setting much. I've experimented mixing the ODS with other amps but it was seeing his settings using the 'Jazz' setting and OD mode that made me think.

I replicated his settings and was knocked out with the sound, really great. So I thought I'd try and see if I could capture that with the kemper.

I couldn't profile the delay/chorus setting but I could definitely capture the two amps together, then adding the delay/chorus in stereo in the FX slot afterwards got me 99% of the way there, so I was pleased with the result.

It had nothing to do with the 70's amp but as I had everything set up profiling the 70's amp I thought it would be a great little 'addition' to the pack.

I didn't make the most form the sound demo but it's really responsive to the volume control on your guitar, just wind it back and it cleans up lovely, just like the real thing.

here's the Dumble Tweedle Dee :D..thats the Dumble version of the Tweed deluxe

MC