Posts by JedMckenna

There are usually a bunch of backline amps and stuff at most important concerts that could be used in case the Kemper goes wrong so I never bring a backup. Besides, I know of Murphy's Law and all but in 5 years of everyday use of the Kemper, it never just "stopped working" all of a sudden. There has been a few crashes and reboots maybe, a non critical hardware issue as well but not a full stop "I suddenly can't use it anymore." So statistically, 0 occurrences in 1825 days. Do what you will with those odds but imo there are more important things to worry about before a gig. If something goes wrong with Kemper say the week before the show and it needs repair, I do have a large pedalboard (containing an Atomic Amplifier 3) that does the job just as well.

Kemper has been asleep at the wheel on Rig Manager for far too long. They need to shake up whatever group is responsible for RM or add better engineers to fix it. The whole application is a fucking mess ...

As Rush puts it... "quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand."

I'd go ahead and say that at this point, at least 80% of problems users come across with RM are because of an improper workflow (not saving, screwing up their performance by loading random slots, accidentally using the lock function, etc). This workflow might be counter intuitive to some (it used to be much worse pre-editor days) but there is definitely a logic and a workflow to follow to have stability. This program has come such a long way and combined with the editor and all the features like drag-and-drop (none of this existed 2 years ago), this system now checks all the boxes. There has been 4 or 5 updates of RM these last few weeks so I wouldn't call that "asleep at the wheel".

- Logic Pro X on a 27" Imac (not very recent, but a workhorse)

- Apogee Element thunderbolt interface (I don't use spdif, except for monitoring sometimes )

- JBL 305 speakers, Sennheiser HD600 or Audio Technica M50x headphones

That being said, I feel that the importance of gear is exaggerated nowadays. The internet has become a big advertising panel for new products and internet forums (often pushing promotional content) are full of threads and argumentation comparing brands/models/etc which within the same price bracket, all pretty much offer a different shade of the same thing. As long as you don't get the absolute worst low-end gear on purpose, you can get professional results with almost anything as long as your ear is properly trained and you know what you are doing.

I don't agree with the review above concerning the M50x, they are killer and I never experienced ice pick/boominess. I also have Sennheiser HD600 that are also great and slightly more "neutral" perhaps (maybe by virtue of the fact of being open back) but for almost half the price in my area, the M50x are definitely more bang for the bucks.

Firstly if the Kemper sounds good with headphones and active monitors connected direct, it’s not the Kemper.

Not necessarily. I've had problem with only one of my main output before. Meanwhile, the headphone, the other main and all other outputs were working fine - I just had to do my gigs in mono until it got repaired.

Fun fact, I contacted support and sent it over, then picked it back up at their Recklinghausen office during 2 dates of a Europe tour (coincidentally) a couple of days later. They had apparently changed the board inside, unbelievable customer support! Hang on brother!

I trust my studio monitors best for tweaking sounds. Headphones are not ideal in my opinion, but could probably work better than IEM imo. If you use studio headphones, try to get an open back pair that's as flat as possible. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600 which seem to work well.

Edit: I can also vouch for the Audio-Technica M50x, they are probably a better value at nearly half the price of my Sennheiser.

They're all rat catcher and blenders, the same YT influencers who have been telling people for years that they couldn't hear any difference to the original amp, now they want to telling us something else. This YT influencers will lie in your face if they get enough money for it.

Let me agree with your unpopular opinion. Many of those channels have basically turned into a nuisance, they pretend to review and educate but do the exact opposite by confusing, pushing products and distracting musicians by focusing on trivial stuff like hour long videos discussing what kind of Klon Centaur variation you absolutely need. They can't sell you the discipline, personal style, experience and technique you need to be a better musician so they carry a narrative where gear is all you need. Many of them would fall flat in the context of a studio session, yet are reviewing the most cutting edge stuff every week as if they were some sort of authority.

As for the Kemper, it's just fine as it is!

In my views it's redundant to add more drives or pretty much any other conventional pedals in front instead of using the Kemper effects. If you can't make it sound decent, the problem isn't the machine. At the end of the day, I've yet to see an unsuccessful gig be saved by bringing more pedals.

Go in "output" and choose which outputs sends what. In your case you could set the Direct Out to "Git Analog" and set the Main output as your amp sound by setting this to "stack" (or depending what you want). I suggest reading the manual and looking at the official Kemper tutorial videos, it explains all this in great details.

I think the first 2 pictures you posted are ES 339s (which are nice too!)

Funny you post this, this entire covid year it's been a honeymoon with my 335 (from the Memphis plant). I bought it sight unseen through a connection (the retail price was a ridiculous US$3700), it was reckless and I was a bit apprehensive knowing that Gibsons are hit or miss. I am not a collector or anything and hate guitars that sit unplayed, I only have 2 other electrics for different purposes and they are workhorses. I didn't love it at first, and just looked at it for an entire year. The nut was out of whack and the electronics were all screwed up, I wasn't sure about the finish. The neck however was perfection (my luthier confirmed this!) and it sounded amazing so after a few additional hundreds $ to fix the nut and change the wiring, I eventually got over my personal traumas with sunbursts (too much time in jazz schools), I started loving the finish and got used to the different feel. It's an acquired taste compared to say, a strat, but these days I'm using it for pretty much everything because it's so versatile and it just sings. However, I see that lots of people (musicians included) often listen with their eyes and they associate the burst 335 to jazz or old rock & roll, so it might not look the part for certain gigs but alas! In the studio it's also it's my go-to (I've tracked everything from metal to jazz on it.) I'm on a jazz gig these days (haven't used Kemper in a while!) and just plug straight in a fender combo and it's right there.

While I do prefer the feel of some other picks, I'm superstitious and get anxiety whenever I use something else than small red Jazz III. Even the black ones give me the feeling that something isn't quite right. :wacko:

It's nothing but an indication from the person who made the profile that the tonal sweet spot of the amp had been found using that specific pickup setting. Also, some take into account the output difference between HB/SC and adjust the volume of the rig accordingly so that their pack is balanced volume-wise. By all means, you can feel free to disregard if you want (but might need to compensate with some tweaks - ie: a profile labelled for single coils could appear too loud if used with a humbucker guitar, etc.) I personally just follow the creator's recommendation just for the sake of saving time tweaking.

While I see the point of Monkey_Man with the silicon chip thing, this market wants you to think you need to change your gear with their latest bells and whistle every year and it's aggravating to me. I'm still rocking a refurbished imac 2014 I got for quite cheap, it's nice and I love it. I do all my Logic work on it as well as video editing (Adobe After Effects and Final Cut), it's has been going strong for the most part (I keep it clean and avoid plugins/software that take up too much resources.) I also still have a trusty Macbook from somewhere between 2010-12 that I use as a backup or to travel. I don't think I'll even upgrade my dinosaurs anytime soon.

Have you listened to this italian guy's Youtube video where he says he compares KD presets to the real pedals? Holy crap, I really don't know when I ever heard worse guitar tones. So thin, narrow, bandpassed, weak, almost like through a phone. And Christoph (for unknown reasons) shared this when asked for a comparison blind test!?

Sounds like you're over-dramatizing a bit to prove your point.

Depends what you are doing. Most sessions I do are everything but consistent stylistically so I never change cab and I just try to get a rig that fits the song as much as possible. If I were to play with a band that does the same style all the time or if I'd be looking for more consistency, I'd probably use a performance based around a single amp that has been captured under various amount of gain. I'm more worried about volume balance between rigs or getting the charts on time!