Posts by da247b1c195a50ff252c636fd3781705e7f5820e

Sorry to leave everybody hanging, I've just been incredibly busy lately with work and family and haven't had the time. (It also doesn't help that the profiling is ridiculously loud through the EVM12's when capturing it). I'll redo the profiles this Saturday morning with lower input gain, and will also add profiles for the FET input. So check back Saturday afternoon, and hopefully I'll get this clipping thing taken care of.
    Chris

Tally,
    I'm only using the EVs with the Welagen. I'm using a pair of Atomic CLR wedges with the Kemper.
    Chris

Oh.. and the SamAmp is gone btw.. I sold a lot of my amps and replaced with guitars after getting the AxeFx and the Kemper. I still have a ToneNut 4x10 tweed bassman, Two Rock Custom Reverb Sig v2, Bluetron Blueverb, 2 Gomez Surfers and a Gomez G-Spring Reverb unit.

Awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed em! I definitely need to fine tune the input attenuation as well as figure out the tone settings. I haven't had the time to read up on it, but I don't get why the tone controls are available BEFORE the amp is profiled. It doesn't give you a chance to hear what effect the changes are having until it's done. Also, the fine tune option just appears to sit there with an animation until I finally click done. I'm sure there's more to it, but again I need to read up on it when I have some time. I have been playing with the FET channel the last few times I played it and it nails Little Wing perfectly. You can dig with the pick and get a little dirt, or pick lightly and it'll be chimey, crystal clear and clean. I'll be working on another profile over the next few days, and redoing the original ones for a better clean with no clipping. But I must add.. for anyone that has been on the fence about ordering this amp, BUY WITHOUT HESITATION. Jelle Welagen makes the finest amp I have ever played, and as good as the profiles hopefully may get, I could never see myself parting with this dream amp. There are just so many details and things that come to life in it that I don't believe I'll be able to capture with the Kemper. I will absolutely make some more profiles and continue to tweak, but I feel the need to mention it to anyone thinking about ordering. I've sold my Classic Reverb and the Custom Reverb Signature is next. I'll try to get a few more profiles done tomorrow or Thursday. If anyone has any quick pointers or tips on what I mentioned, please chime in!
    Thanks,
    Chris

Thanks for the feedback. I spent all of my studio microphone money on the amp! Kidding, but I don't have any studio setup here, and have only a Shure SM58 lying around somewhere. But I've never attempted any mic'd profiles as the DI Box seemed to be the easier solution. As far as the extreme tone controls, I mentioned that in my initial post. And it was only because the profile was very dark and muffled. After those settings it was close to the original. The output clipping was mentioned as well, but this should only be on the Welagen SSS1 profiles and not any of the Welagen 2 profiles. This was due to the input attenuation being backed off too much initially (also mentioned). When I added any of the cabs, it got very dark again, so I left them off. I'd be curious to hear from Atomic CLR users and see if they are any better for them. Might just have to do with everyone's different setups. I've downloaded some profiles that were unusable for me, but sounded very good in the sound clips posted along with them. I need to read on a few other features I didn't quite understand and will definitely post some updates as time permits. I'm also playing a strat with Klein Jazzy Cats if that helps. I didn't consider that some of you are probably using humbuckers or higher output pups. I might make an even lower input one for that.
    Thanks,
    Chris

I just got this beauty last week and have been playing with it every chance I get. It's been at the top of my bucket list for years, and I found a deal I couldn't pass up. I saw a request for this here before, so with my first day off I've decided to return the favor after downloading many great profiles from here.

There are 5 patches (so far);

Welagen SSS 1
    Welagen SSS 1 Rev
    Welagen SSS 2
    Welagen SSS 2 Rev
    Welagen SSS 2 LG

Welagen 1 and Welagen 1 Rev are the same profile, one just has added reverb. This was the first one I made, and I kept getting the "no amp detected" error. So I lowered the attenuation significantly, and as a result it is very sensitive to the input volume of your guitar. So I kept this one for some delicate playing, or backing off the guitar volume. Otherwise it will fart out.

Welagen 2, Welagen 2 Rev and Welagen 2 Rev LG are the same profile as well. The first 2 just like previously, and the gain on them is up to about 3. The LG patch has the gain backed off to zero. This one you can strum as hard as you like and not have the output clip on you.

Now on to the EQ settings. They're pretty drastic, but I A/B's them against the real thing (which is running through a pair of 80's EVM-12L's). The Kemper is running through a pair of Atomic CLRs with the cab OFF. This might sound crazy to some, but I profiled it with the Kemper DI Box and it sounds incredibly close this way. But I've also left room for adjustments and you can do as you please on your box.

Enjoy,

Chris

[Blocked Image: http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa256/alphakin/8E7A07F8-D638-4987-B521-AB806AF24AA0_zpskgco4j0k.jpg]

Yeah I did that and didn't notice a difference I'm guessing I should've had a CLR hooked up rather than just the amp + cab. I went through the settings on the CLR when I first purchased them with the Axe rig. I think if the CLRs were set incorrectly it would reveal itself with both units but I hear ya.. They definitely have more bottom end in one setting than the other. The difference in sound between the cab on and cab off on the Kemper is night and day. It's almost like there's an incorrect setting I'm missing. That's why I mentioned it. It's a drastic change and sounds fantastic with the cab off. But not even usable with the cab on. I appreciate the reply.
    Thanks,
    Chris

First off Happy Easter everyone! I just got my Kemper rack late this week and after getting used to navigating it (I've been used to my Axe FX II XL+) I'm running the Kemper through a pair of Atomic CLR active wedges, and primarily using a strat. I decided to try to use the DI Box this morning. I bought the Kemper DI Box and had 3 main amps I wanted to try and profile;

Two Rock CRS v2 100w
    Two Rock CR 100w
    59 Bassman 4x10 clone

I ran into a few problems and figured I'd share in case anyone else ran into the same thing.

I also want to try and do my Samamp VAC 40 and a few others, but these were the main reason I bought the Kemper. So my first few DI attempts were unsuccessful. I got the message "error - no external amp connected or volume too low, please check and repeat profiling". By default, the return level was set to -32db. (I'm running the 3.30 software). After about 5 tries I finally upped the level to 0.0. The profiling worked, and I proceeded to run through some other amp settings and create new profiles. I noticed that the return level changed to about 15db at one point, then around 10db on another go, and one time around 5.5. After saving 5 new profiles, 3 of them were incredibly loud, like an overdrive channel. But the profiles were all set to be clean. So those must've been the 15db ones, because the output light was clipping and the last few around 5-10db turned out fantastic. I'm new to the unit, so I'm not too sure why it started out so low or how it decided to start changing the parameters. But with the output going into clipping on the higher db profiles, I anticipated some would need to be redone. The ones that turned out good though were enough to make me want to list some amps after profiling a few more amp knob settings. But so far I'm really impressed with the Kemper. The main difference I noticed compared to the Axe was that even though I could get close to a sound with the Axe, the Kemper actually captured the percussiveness of the Two Rock CRS. Each note and sensitivity was still there, and that was something I hadn't been able to dial in with the Axe (Not that I don't think the Axe is capable, but it would definitely require a lot more work to achieve the same sound if it can do it.. There are a lot of parameters I'm just uncomfortable messing with at this point) I've also read a few posts where people that had both units stated that the Kemper sounded more digital, while the Axe was more natural. I noticed the opposite. The Kemper sounds about as close to the amp as I've ever heard, while the Axe reminds me of my old Eventide pedals, but with a much higher studio quality sound. But the hifi is definitely more evident than with the Kemper. The Kemper fools me that I'm not plugged into my amps. And I'm extremely picky with my amps, tubes, cabs and pickups. This thing is definitely a keeper. The effects on the Axe are ridiculously good. And while the ones on the Kemper are pretty good as well, they are limited in comparison to the Axe. That said, I'd much rather play through the Kemper with the new profiles than the Axe with my previous settings for a clean channel with reverb. So far, my plan is to keep the Axe for some heavier things and also for any effects I can't get on the Kemper yet.

One thing I've noticed so far that I can't make sense of... The Axe FX with the CLRs sounds best with the amp AND cab emulation on. When I first plugged in the Kemper, I thought it sounded terrible. I hit the cab button and once I turned off cab emulation it was unbelievably good. So good that I turned the cab off on every single patch. It was like lifting a veil off of the speakers. But everything I read says I should only be disabling cab emulation when using a power amp/guitar cab setup. I'm content with it as long as it sounds good, but I'd definitely like to know if I'm doing it all wrong.. Maybe some of you seasoned vets can shed some light on this. All in all I'm incredibly happy with the Kemper, and can't wait to put more time into dialing everything in. I have the remote already but haven't even plugged it up yet, and two Mission/Kemper expression pedals on the way. I'm definitely happy with my purchase so far, and looking forward to making this my main rig!

Thanks,
    Chris

Hi all, new soon to be owner here after ordering this morning. I currently own an Axe Fx II XL+, 2 Atomic CLR Wedges and several boutique amps that I can't wait to load into this thing! Finding a 15% off coupon on musiciansfriend today pushed me over the ledge, and I have the profiler rack and remote on the way so heads up to anyone that's been trying to save up.. I got both for $2107 shipped! See you all on the private forum side when my serial number arrives!
    Chris