Posts by Lugosi

My preference is the unpowered toaster. I find that using good powered speakers (studio monitors for recording, and Atomic CLR for playing out) gives me the most flexibility. Obviously, the added assurance that the FOH gets exactly what I’m hearing through the monitor is a plus. I have the option of using any power amp I want if I decide to go through a cab. However, I rarely do that anymore - while it may sound great for one particular rig, it usually blows for others.

I didn't imply that you don't accept PayPal - it is your site and not PayPal that I was referring to. There's no reason that any website in the present day should not be made secure, just as this forum is. You ask for a person's name, email address, and password in clear text, something that no unsecured site should do. For more info on securing a site, check out the following article...

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6073543?hl=en

Security is free. Certificates can be obtained here...

https://letsencrypt.org/

Did you get this working yourself ?? I'm pretty sure the last time I had the chance, I tried this but the guitar recording basically sounded like it wasn't plugged into the kemper at all... just a really bare sounding guitar with no effects/ or amp

Sure did. I tried it just before submitting my reply. It was quite easy and the recorded guitar sound was quite good - certainly better than the built-in GB amp sims. I did have to spend 20 seconds playing a hard chord and adjusting the level control to keep the signal from clipping, but that part was pretty trivial.

Sure you can do this. Plug into the Kemper normally, then run a guitar cable from Monitor Out to the Jam connected to the Mac. While in the GarageBand audio recorder, adjust the level on the side of the Jam so that you aren't clipping the input into the red. Record! Of course you're going to record a mono signal, but I assume you knew that already since the Jam is mono.

Having a similar issue at times, but I don't have enough solid info to open a ticket yet...

In browse mode browsing through my favorite rigs, everything starts out fine, but switching to a different rig (I still need to pin down whether it's a specific one) causes the volume to go very quiet. When that happens, there's also a faint droning fuzzy artifacted signal behind the primary. From that point on, every rig exhibits the same behavior until I use the System menu's Init Globals option, which restores everything to normal.

I'm on the 5.0.3 release, and don't have a remote. It's happened 3 times since I applied the update, but as I said, I don't have enough info for diagnostic purposes yet - so far I've just initialized the globals and kept playing. I do have a bunch (600+) of profiles loaded, though.

I have my Kemper connected via the main outs either directly to my monitors or to my Apogee One via a custom passive switcher. There's no difference in tone between the two through the monitors, and if I listen to the Apogee or the Kemper through headphones they sound the same also. No significant difference between headphone tone and tone via the monitors (other than the sonic characteristics of my MDR V6s versus the monitors), so there's definitely no issue with the main outs on my rig.

How long are your cables? Have you tried other cables? Are you using the XLR outs?

While I'm not expert enough to know what's going wrong for you, I do suspect there's a problem somewhere in your chain. I've been playing through a variety of (now) vintage tube amps for ~40 years, and once I was through about my first month of Kemper use, I had no problem getting tones every bit as real as my amp collection. I've now had the Kemper for about a year.

Learning how to tweak definition, EQ, and such were essential to me in getting true amp tones.

I honestly never use headphones, but instead rely on my studio monitors or an Atomic CLR, both of which can play at very low volumes when required. I will say that while my own profiles sound really good, professional profiles of the same vintage amps from MBritt or TopJimi usually sound better to me - probably due to my limited set of mics and lack of engineering experience compared to these folks.

For the record, I absolutely realize that there are unbalanced 1/4" jacks on the main outs and that they should be used when connecting to unbalanced inputs, so that's not the issue or question I'm posing.

Rather, if one *had* to connect one or both of the balanced outs to unbalanced inputs (or had it done for you), which unbalanced to balanced conversion is appropriate?

Conventional schemes employed by most converters simply connect XLR pin #3 to ground (pin #1), as in this Shure article:

http://shure.custhelp.com/app/…to-1%2F4-adapter-cable%3F

However, this is typically only "correct" for transformer-balanced, cross-coupled output, and impedance-balanced (or single-ended) type circuits. For reference:

http://www.rane.com/note110.html
    https://www.presonus.com/news/articles/balanced-unbalanced

For opamp-based inversion circuits (electronically-balanced, active-balanced), it is more appropriate to leave pin #3 floating (not connected - see previous references). This may also prevent damage to the output circuit. Since doing so yields a smaller output voltage on pin #2, a signal drop will result. From the PreSonus link...

"If the spec sheet says that the maximum output level is +22 dBu, that’s the voltage measured between pins 2 and 3, or tip and ring. With pin 3 unused you’ll only see half the voltage, or +16 dBu, before the output circuit runs out of steam."

The above figures match exactly the specs of the balanced (+22 dBu) and unbalanced (+16 dBu) main outputs, so this makes me believe that the appropriate way to connect the Kemper's main outs to unbalanced mixer inputs is to leave XLR pin #3 unconnected (pin #2=signal, pin #1=ground), and that this is likely how the Kemper's internal unbalanced main outs are connected to the balanced outs.

Do you think this conclusion is correct? Thanks!

I use a pair of KRK Rockit 6s with a KRK 10s sub, and find that - at least when I have the volume up to a decent level of, say 85dBs or more - the results compare very favorably to my Atomic CLR . No, they're not the ultimate in studio monitors, but they seem to be reasonably flat in the critical mids section and I don't find myself tweaking rigs for monitors vs CLR.

On the other hand, setting changes at very low volume late night playing through the monitors don't translate well, but I think that has more to do with the FM effect than a problem with the monitors themselves. I guess I'm saying the monitors aren't the problem. It did take me a couple of weeks to hone in on rigs that suit me (M Britt, Top Jimi, Dill, and others), but that was just a learning curve thing for me.

It might not be new, but as a new owner it was new to me after the 4.0 upgrade. Afterwards, Crunch was the default rig in Browser mode. I had not even tried Performance mode until the suggestion above.

"Lugosi's '65 BFDR" has been uploaded to the rig exchange. While it isn't a professional profile by a long shot, it was amazing to me how nice it sounded for a first profile attempt. I'll certainly do more as my skills improve.

First, THANK YOU to the folks who post here regularly to help folks out. These answers have been a great help to me both before my Kemper purchase and afterward. Even though I've only had the unit for about 2 weeks, I haven't been stumped on any problem for long - a quick search here has provided the help I need.

While I still have a ways to go to be able to craft great profiles, I was immensely pleased that on my first day with my new toaster, I was able to create a great sounding profile of my beloved 1965 Deluxe Reverb! It gives me hope that I can do my other amps justice in the near future.

This really seems like a great and informative community. Thanks for letting me tag along.

Danny

As the docs explain, I got the default 'Crunch' rig after the 4.0 upgrade and restart. I played it for a minute, thought it sounded pretty good, and then moved on to trying out the new morphing rigs.

Later, I went back to try to find the Crunch rig and I couldn't find it! Is it only visible after an upgrade?

Thanks!