Posts by Cthulhu

Do you have the original amp settings? Without that, it's going to be trial/error or hit and miss.

The tonestack needs to know how the amp was set before it can accurately make changes.

No, but my understanding is that the original amp settings are a "nice to have" to get as accurate as possible, but not required (at least to not sound like crap).

What am I doing wrong here?

I selected a JCM800 profile, then assigned the Kemper JCM800 amp to make the "Liquid Profile".

Sounds fine, but when I roll back the gain, it thins out and almost starts to sound like a DI profile w/o a cab assigned (very thin and shrill). The only way it sounds good is if the gain control is not rolled back at all (essentially rendering the LP useless).

What am I missing/doing wrong?

Awesome reply, thanks again. Agreed about the 5150, awesome amp. You know, with sooooo many demos/vids of high gain KPA profiles, I would've thought there would have been plenty on this topic that I could have read about prior to purchasing the KPA. To be honest, one of the main selling points to me was that I would be able to profile a high gain amp, then up the gain some more with the left over space on the KPA gain dial. However, now that I have tried for myself, I find that this is not the truth, and somewhat disappointing. I know, I know, we don't need that much gain. I just like to have it... just in case, ya know?...

Terraformer, thanks a lot for the reply, I really appreciate it.

What I've noticed is that when I turn down the gain to about 4 on my reference amp to successfully profile without the "too noisy" message, the resulting profile on the KPA has the gain almost maxed out. I don't understand the discrepancy with this... The profiled gain should match the level of gain on the reference amp, right?

Hey KPA'ers,

I'm trying to make a studio profile. The reference amp EQ is setup how I want, lots of gain, with the volume on 1 (it's still loud and hissy). While profiling, I get a message telling me that the reference amp is too noisy and to turn down the gain. The output LED on the KPA and reference amp is green, so I don't get it (I'm not too sure how the return level impacts this, as I don't notice any changes when I turn the knob). The only way I've been able to complete the profile, although I wanted to avoid this, is to put my decimator in the chain going into the reference amp. Interestingly enough I don't get the noise gate warning message. The resulting profile sounds great, but what gives? I want to know I'm doing this right, as I want to share my profiles, but only if they're high quality. It profiles no problem when I turn the gain down, but that's not the high gain profile I'm trying to capture. Thanks in advance for any help.

I've been doing just that. It really is a must. I am very happy with it so far.

If the HS80s are powered cabinets , you should connect the KPA to them from the Main Outputs with XLR or Shielded cables or Monitor Output with shielded cables.

If they are unpowered cabinets, use the KPA powered output with unshielded speaker cable.

Yes, the monitors are powered. So you're saying I should use regular shielded instrument cable (guitar to amp cable) and not speaker cable (amp to guitar cabinet)?

My Yamaha HS80's are giving off a loud hum when my KPA Powerhead is off. I've got my KPA Powerhead hooked up to my powered monitors via 14 gauge speaker cables. My understanding is that I should use speaker cables and not regular 1/4" instrument cables. The hum goes away when the KPA is on, but I'm not sure what's up here. Do I need to "deactivate" the powerhead part of the KPA and just rely on the monitors built in power?

Thanks in advance for any help!

For those of you who are experienced with this, is there a big impact in profiling results with an amp with old worn-out tubes versus new tubes? Is the difference just as noticeable as playing a freshly retubed amp?

I did it. After much deliberation, watching videos, reading reviews, and posting questions here a long time ago, deciding against it, then changing my mind, this happened today:

[Blocked Image: http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/mistakl/CC64E29A-402C-4C32-9BDB-7A11251DEB8B_zpsxl18yay1.jpg]

Glad to officially be a part of the community of owners, and while I'm sure I'll have many more questions, I look forward to being able to provide answers to others in the very near future!

... And this is unrelated to the nature of the Direct profile!

Can you please explain how this is not related to the nature of direct profiling? I am under the impression that direct profiling captures only the amps character, with no cab/mic colouration. This led to my question of the KPA's EQ capability. What part am I misunderstanding? Thanks!

Thanks, paults. That's exactly what I needed to know!

So in essence, the KPA EQ knobs will just affect that specific direct profile, and it will not act as the original amp EQ section.

If I directly profile an amp, will The KPA only have the amps tones from the EQ settings that I profiled, or will I have full access to the original amps tonal possibilities with the EQ knobs from the KPA? I know that I will be able to alter the tone from the KPA's EQ knobs, but will it be the same as the original amp, or do you need to profile several different EQ settings to get closer to the full range of the original amps capabilities?

I hope this question is clear, thanks in advance for any help.