Posts by joust

I'm guessing that was minimum 2 ohm, and you could have used them just fine 8)

I wasnt about to start messing with things i know nothing about,I always read about the disasters of ohm mismatch.To bad I didnt have someone like you with me,it sure would have helped.

So I was finally able to try the kemper with a different power amp,.Heres what happened.The guy I was supposed to go see to do this thing with was someone I sort of knew through someone else.When I called him his wife picked up the phone and told me he passed away last summer.I told her what I was trying to do.Even though she didnt understand me she invited me over to rummage through his equipment and give it a go.I threw my 4x12 in my truck and headed over there.Unfortunately I was not able to do very much with all that gear because most of his amps were a 2 ohm load(my cab is 16).I was able to try the kemper with a Carvin class D power amp.The result was unsatisfactory as there was no bass response whatsoever.Loud but very paper thin.The kemper sounded better with my fryette 2/90/2.I just ordered a camplifier 360 today.Maybe I'll have better luck with that.

Excellent. I've been waiting for this all along (see my quote from page 1). Good luck with it, joust!

I'd go a "Class D" amp if possible. Super-efficient, ultra-linear, cool-running and not-power-hungry. Can't go wrong, mate. I'd recommend one but I haven't kept up with the models out there. All I know is, I was blown away when this new class hit the market a while ago.

Well it was Dons suggestion so props to him,for all I know I never knew there could be a difference in SS amps.I know a guy who has quite a few QSC,Crown and Carvin amps so i'll give it a go and let y'all know.

I do not have access to a powered kemper so there goes that idea,but pauls suggestion is definable doable.

sounds like something isn't quite right. this setup, levelled correctly should sound identical.this could be due to the fact that the fx loop does something to the sound (now the whole signal is running through it) or maybe the relative volumes of Profiler Output (how much signal arrives at the power amp) and amp master volume need to be set differently.
    Best comparison would be between the amp/cab and a powered Profiler using a Direct Amp Profile of said amp/cab combination. You'll need a DI box that can deal with speaker (!) level signals to make a Direct Amp Profile

I have 2 DI boxes,A Live wire which is ok and the Kemper DI which is fantastic.I have tried many DAP's,I would think it would be better to profile just the preamp of my laney head eliminating the poweramp section completely,Rather than a direct amp profile when using my fryette 292 which is all tube.IMO It does sound better that way.I dont think this is a kemper issue. As Ive stated earlier,I've gotten the same results when using the helix,BIAS(thru a laptop)and the fractal AX8.The AX8 sounded the best over all.I still love the kemper tho and couldnt be happier with it,its the ultimate tool for recording.

Playing back those sound samples on my monitors can't compare to a LOUD 4x12,not even in the same ball park.Its more of a feel thing than tone.I thought since the kemper is so spot on it should sound almost exactly the same as the real deal.Even when running the profiled preamp into the fx return of the original amp is not cuttin it. Lifeless,dull and boxy.Maybe im doing something wrong?I dont know.

The Fryette 292 has a depth control,it does add some pump to the cabs but turn it up to high and it turns to muddy shit.And yes it is tubes.The Rocktron velo 300 is SS and also has a resonance control but really doesnt do very much IMO.Before going back to tube amps I started to profile just the preamps of my live rig,eliminating the power amp(of the profiled amps) out of the equation.It did sound better with the 292,not so much the vel 300.But the lack of boom or push has forced me back to real amps.Volume wise its not deafening on stage but it is enough to compete with a hard hitting drummer.

ok great and what is your cab then ?

My main cabs on stage are 2 laney Iommi signature 4x12's,I also have a Marshall 1960 JCM900 4x12,Ive tried my live rig with other cabs in the past,all 4x12,Peavy,ENGL,and an old Mesa and its always the same results.

Hi all I recently went back to using my tube amps(mostly Laney)I play old school metal(Sabbath Maiden Priest etc)And Ive noticed something that the Kemper or any modeler Ive tried has not.Theres no pound in the chest,4x12 cab air moving experience when playing loud.It sounds lifeless,boxy and dull,No matter how the eq is set.I use a rock crusher on stage and push the real amps hard to achieve this and they sound incredible.Anyone have any suggestions on getting the kemper to sound the same?

I bought the Kemper DI,and I can tell you there is a difference in the quality of the profile.These are DI profiles only.I first profiled my mesa mk3 head with a live wires di padded @ -20db.The profiles sounded good.Did the same with the kemper di and playing back thru my 4x12 laney cab sounds darker,not as bright as before and much fuller.If this helps anyone considering the kemper di, I say go for it..

Sorry to hear about your troubles.I dont know if this will help,You did say you're in the USA.You can try calling Kemper USA @ 1-303-248-3864.Thats sales but they may be able to help you.

Countryman 85. It's a bit expensive but worth it every penny.

The CM85 keeps popping up on many a forum I visit.I dont know much about DI's other than their primary purpose.I assume the higher price tag equates too higher quality components,and not just a reputation? I wonder if the kemper DI is different in a way that is proprietary to the KPA only,unlike any other DI.Maybe a marketing ploy by kemper?Its unfortunate there is so little info on it.

Hi all,
    Can anyone point me in the direction of 3rd party profiles that are Non Boosted.I just want profiles of the amps themselves.(Mesa,ENGL,Blackstars,PV's...etc) All I see from sellers of profiles are the profiles that are boosted...Any help is much appreciated..