Posts by Godal

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

When using active monitors with the Kemper – what volume ratio should I be aiming for? Low volume on the speakers (knobs on the back) and high master volume on the Kemper? Opposite? Or somewhere in the middle? Just in terms of best practice.

Thanks!

G

You don't *need* two cables - you can go mono into the Scarlett. I have a 2i2 and thats what I do, but I am only laying down rough ideas, not recording demo/production material.

Does that mean that you either get the raw guitar signal or the amp signal but not both, basically?

Reckon this will be a steep learning curve as I haven't even started yet but already have all the questions.. ;)

Ezerath, thanks for the reply!

So I'd basically need two separate cables between the Kemper and 2i4 if I want to to record both DI and amp signals?

Ezerath wrote:

for recording both DI and amp signals you'd send the Kemper's Direct output set to GIT Studio to the 2i4's line input and then the amp signal from the Kemper (either the monitor or main output) to the second 2i4 line input on the front of the 2i4.

Also, where do I plug in the monitors - can they still be connected to the Kemper?

Thanks man,

G

Hello!

So I've had my Kemper for a while, and been enjoying playing through a pair of JBL 305's. I'd like to get an interface so I can start recording music and I'm completely green when it comes to this...

The interface I've looked at is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (2nd gen) and I haven't been able to find anything on how to connect the two together? As far as I understand the 2i4 doesn't have S/PDIF so what's the procedure here in terms of connections? If someone could help me in terms of what other cables I need and where they go that would be amazing.

Many thanks,

G

Hello, I ended up getting a pair of JBL LSR305's in the end – my living room is tiny so I had to sacrifice something for space... But really happy with them! I guess ignorance is bliss in this case as i have no experience with monitors nor anything to compare them with ;)

I use 2 regular (shielded) jack guitar cables from my soundcard : one to the left monitor and one the right one , but you'd better use two XLRs for balanced output.

Will I need a soundcard too? :| Or can I go directly from the Kemper to the monitors?

Thanks for the thorough replies! I'll definitely order the HS5s then :) Last question(s): How do I connect the speakers to the Kemper - through the Monitor Output plug on the back? There is only one plug so do I need to split the cable in two or do I connect the cable to one monitor, then the monitors together? Sorry I'm really green here... Appreciate the help!

Makes sense. So I guess at this point it's down to the HS5s – or these that I just came across: JBL LSR305 LSR3 which apparently have a little more bass than the HS5s. Also almost half the price...

Thanks both, all sound advice.

In terms of speaker size - how much does it matter if I am sitting at arms length?

Any thoughts on getting a single speaker for now then, if I decide to go with a slightly more expensive brand such as the Focal Alphas?

Bonus newbie question: Will I need to purchase any additional cables or will most speakers be good to go with the Kemper straight out the box?

Thanks again.

Hello! I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger on some studio monitors as I’ve only used my Kemper with headphones since I purchased it – and not even good ones… So needless to say it will be an upgrade! I live in a small flat and have my guitars etc in the living room, which I estimate is about 20 sq m / 200 sq ft ish, so I am pretty dead set on getting some small speakers, both due to the size of the room but also because it’s ridiculously loud where I live (neighbours etc). I was considering the Yamaha HS5s for a while but suddenly I started reading up on the Focal Alpha 50s and it threw me off balance a little:

Is the difference that massive to an ‘untrained’ ear between the HS5s and the Focals?

In terms of money, I could get a pair of HS5s, or a single Focal (and get another one when I can afford it) – would one speaker with perhaps slightly better quality be a bad idea?

Sorry these questions might be a little dumb but I honestly have no clue about studio monitors…

Thanks!

Amazing, thanks both! It definitely makes sense to wipe the profiler and start from 'scratch' – I guess it's the equivalent of buying an amp and over time adding to your collection as your needs grow :) I'll have a look for the thumas rigs on the exchange once it's up and running again.

Hello! New Kemper user here, got it delivered yesterday and absolutely love it. Best purchase I’ve done in a long time, no doubt. Really like the sense of community here too – been skulking around the forum in anticipation for a few weeks now :) The only thing - if anything - is just the sheer amount of rigs already loaded on it; where do you start and how do you organise everything? I’m mostly playing along to music at home so I thought I’d start off with getting a few rigs to match my current ‘repertoire’…

I’ve downloaded the new Mesa IIC+ stuff from Djemass - which are awesome by the way- but when I imported The Terrence Hill pack and loaded it onto my Kemper I only had about 3-4 new rigs although in the folder I downloaded there were around 23 in total? I also loaded the Bud Spencer pack but that just left me completely confused as there were hundreds in there…

Also, I am looking for a nice, Petrucci-esque clean rig for finger style riffs etc (i.e Goodnight Kiss) so if anyone could point me in the right direction of one, or give me some pointers on which one of Djemass’ rigs I could modify to start with that would be amazing.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the barrage of questions!

G