Posts by eljodon

What do you mean by controlling parameters? Like bend down on stage to change the delay amount?

Can you give an example of what you're trying to do but can't with the KPA?

I can definitely control the parameters on the KPA.

Change delay volume, increase delay feedback, change delay time, change reverb volume, change delay and reverb volume with one expression pedalstc

I know this subject has been talked about many times, but not being able to control the parameters of all the effects in the Kemper is a serious issue. I was able to control every parameter with the Axe Fx 2 and the MFC100. This should be a priority because it makes no sense that you can't control the effects with a cheap controller. Although the Kemper Remote is very convenient and works well, I could've purchased the RJM Mastermind GT which would've given me control over the parameters of the effects. I hope Kemper addresses this issue quickly. Another issues is that you can only control just the program change of 2 MIDI devices and that's it. I would be nice to be ablate control the parameters of other devices.

I got the mic part down well, but I'm still having issues with the DI profiles. I use my Chandler Limited TG 2 mic preamps using 4 57 on a cabinet with 4 different speakers(Scumback BM75,M75,H55 and a V30) and a Roger 121 Ribbon mic on the BM<75 or M75. All the preamps get blended on an SSL mixer from the SSL XRack to blend what ever speaker or mic I want to use and then it goes into the Kemper. I'll send you a bunch of profiles and see what you think.

I'm good George. I hope things are well with you too! I just sent some profiles. I used a Countryman DI for all of mine.

I'm glad you're good. I also have the same Countryman D! . I checked out a bunch of your Profiles and they're great! I usually change the cabs because I prefer a brighter speakers, but regardless of what type of speaker I use, they still sound amazing! . Since I like a Vintage JBL on Fenders I just switched to the cabinets from my profiles like a bunch of Scumbacks from my Fender profiles which are brighter. I usually play only Strats with single coil pickups with Fender amps to get a nice top end like Eric Johnson gets with his clean tones or Stevie Ray with his dirty tones. I can't believe I can't get the DI tones like you do and I use the same DI box. I tried everything I can think of!

How are you Jerry? It's been awhile! Hope thing are going well with you!
    Your DI sounds clean. Mine sounds like a dark crappy distorted amp.No sparkle at all!!! Like I said before, my profiles with a mic'd cabinet sound amazing. I'll email you, thanks!

Hi,

I want to have the flexibility to be able to save different sets of performances for different set ups. Sometimes I want to use FRFR, power amp to speaker cabinet or different pedalboards with my Kemper with the same performances. Each performance is a song. Is it possible to use s USB drive to save different set ups and easily replace them. For example on USB will have my FRFR set up so my performances will have profiles with cabinets, another will have the the same performances(or songs) but using DI profiles, another one will have performances using my pedalboard(with pedals and effects, using the Kemper as just an amp) and the last one will have performances using a MIDI controller with Kemper's stomps and effects. I hope I was clear enough for anyone to understand what I'm trying to say. I just want to be able to easily switch system by replacing performances so I can have the flexibility to change my system depending on the gig I'm playing. Thanks!

I have the same issues when I try to make DA-Profiles of my VOX AC30.

I also have an AC30 and I encounter the same issue! Any amp that has a great tone when slightly overdriven will not work. I wrote to Kemper and they suggested that I might be overdriving the the input from the DI, but I've tried many different elves with no luck! I was lucky a couple of times, but that was it!

Have you tried to get a merged profile? combining the DI with the "studio profile" using identical amp and mic settings? If you can get good studio profile that's clean, the resulting merged profile should be identical in sound but with the ability to disable the cab to use the DI profile with a real cabinet.

Thanks for your response. I thought that you need to make a DI profile to be able to make a merged profile. The problem is that I need DI profiles of the amps and settings described above so I can have the option to use my tube power amp and 4 x 12 cab. The issue is that for some reason when I try to make a DI profile of a mildly distorted bright tone, the result is completely different from the source. The profile sounds dark and much more distorted than the tone of the amp I'm profiling.

Are you checking the signal going into the Kemper to make sure you're getting enough input. The input light should be green. In the profiling screen you have an option to increase the input. if that's not the issue there's also still the possibility that you might be clipping the DI so you might want to engage a PAD on the DI to reduce volume.

Thank you for your reply. I tried all that. I even tried using my Suhr Reactive load at low level which is not recommended but I got the same result but getting a good DI profile of a higher gain amp, but a dark distorted with a non master volume amp. Many of the non master volume amps don't start sounding the way I like them to sound until you go pass 5 and above! It makes no sense that it works with a higher gain but not with a non master volume amp. I just did 50 new mic'd profiles with all my amps and the profiles sound great including the ones with my Vibrolux and both Plexi's from volumes at 2, 4, 5 and up.

I like having both DI and regular profiles because I want to have the option of using FRFR or a tube power amp through a 4 x 12 cabinet when I play live.

Georgie-boy! Glad you're still alive, bud.

Are you using any power-amp gain in combination with preamp drive? I once had the original Vibrolux for a few weeks but can't remember what the gain options were...

At any rate, if you're combining the two, that might be the problem. In this case, you'd have to lower the power-amp drive to, say, around 4 and see how you go.

Nice to hear from you! My Vibrolux has no master volume or gain. I'm profiling the same way is described in the manual, just using the DI with the speaker out of the Vibrolux into the DI and the Speaker out into a speaker cab. I'm trying to duplicate the tone of the Vibrolux at a volume setting of 5 to 7 which gives you a very mild overdrive tone with the typical brightness you get from a Vibrolux and a Strat. It seems like the Kemper can't handle profiling a mildly distorted tone from my Fender or my Plexi. It ends up sounding dark an overly distorted tone while making a DI profile. It works with higher gain type of amps.

I tried using the TRS input instead of the XLR on the Kemper, but I got the same results. Perhaps there's something wrong with my Kemper. It keeps crashing when switching performances quickly or sometimes for no reason at all. As you know, I've been making good profiles successfully for awhile and I really need to make mildly overdriven tones for my band because I don't like the ones that are commercially available.

I use a Fryette Power Station because there's no way I can crank a 100 watt Plexi with no master volume. I try to get as loud as possible without bothering my neighbors. I like my profiles much better than the ones out there. I purchased many of them from the top guys and I rarely use them.

HI,
    I've had my Kemper for awhile now and I've been successful making great sounding mic'd profiles with all of my amps. But I'm having a tough time creating DI profiles with my 1968 Reissue Fender Vibrolux modified by Allesandro. I've tried several boxes like the Countryman Type 85, Beheringer GI100. When I profile the Vibrolux set at 5 for example, it sounds dark and distorted. The same thing happens with my Plexi's also set at 5. It seems like the Kemper can't handle bright mildly distorted tones. I was able to successfully make DI profiles with my high gain amps like my PT100 and BE100 with different gain settings but when I lower the gain to a mild distortion the DI profile sounds muddy and distorted. I have many great sounding distorted DI profiles from all my amps, but I need a tone like my Vibrolux on 5 or 8 or my Plexi set on 5 with a nice bright top end. I also noticed that sometimes my profiles sound slightly darker than the original so I have to add some presence.

If anyone has any idea what's going on I would really appreciated.

My interface is used as the mixer, so if I wanted I could just run both units into my interface separately as that's where the signal will ultimately end up anyway. However, my main goal with 4CM is the ability to place the effects from the Axe before and after the Kemper and I couldn't do that if I ran them both into the interface separately.
    That said, I honestly don't notice any qualitative difference between running the Kemper direct vs. in the loop of the Axe, though.

I tried running it like you and I wish I could since it's much simpler, but I sometimes need to run some effects that won't work running it the way you do and what sucks it's only for 3 songs in a 32 song set! I've been a composer/mixing engineer for 20 years and I have very sensitive ears. What I hear is a slight digital type tone. I prefer using real amps to record (which I own 10) I switch to the Axe Fx 2 and later the Kemper for live playing because I had surgery on my back so I reduced the size of my live rig because I was using 3 to 4 amps(W/D/W system) switching between them with a bunch of cabinets and a huge effect rack. Now I only use a stereo 2 x 12 cabinet with one rack to fit the Axe Fx 2 and Kemper with a Mesa 2 90. I had a Matrix power amp to try to reduce the weight but the Mesa Boogie 2 90 sounded much better. I might switch to FRFR but I'm an old timer and I like the feeling of having a cabinet behind me.

You can do it that way, however I run the Kemper into the loop of the Axe-FX using 4CM so that I can use the effects of the Axe-FX before and/or after the Kemper's amps. Otherwise, I'd just connect both separately into my Focusrite. I've tested the sound quality of the Kemper connected directly to the Focusrite as well as through the loop of the Axe, and to my ears if there's a difference, I can't hear it. The standard latency I'm getting from the Focusrite by itself using ASIO is 3ms.

I used to run 4CM by plugging my guitar into the Axe Fx 2(extra for pedals) then one out into the Kemper, the stereo out of the Kemper into the stereo in of the Axe Fx 2 and the out of the Axe Fx 2 into my power amp but to my ears using a mixer it sounds more natural.I had the same issue with the Axe Fx 2 and using 4CM with my real amps.

Man there is some great stuff in here, thanks! Some of my favorite plexi tones... any chance of you putting up your DI profiles of your amps that you use with a real cab? I'm dying for good plexi DI/merged profiles, as there seems to be very very few.

Thanks! I didn't make merge files, I only have DI profiles because I prefer using a tube power amp(Mesa Boogie 2 90)with 2 x 12 or 4 x 12 cabs and I honestly haven't learned how to do it! My first batch didn't work out but the next ones did. I was also having an issue making DI profiles with my Plexi's but I was able to make decent ones after trying a few times. I have to look for them because I made a bunch of them so I have to see which ones are worthy to post. My Kemper has 987 profiles so I have to get rid of the ones I don't use!