Posts by eljodon

Resurrecting this thread, because really profiles from @eljodon are outstanding. In my opinion the match the best ones - free or commercial.

I just had a blast with "Friedman BE100 HBEFX" - two stereo NEUMANN KH120A monitors already deliver punch. But I have DXR10 under my desk - when I engaged it it was so good!

Highly recommended, one of these profiles should become part of factory profiles to show the power of this device.

Thanks skozy! I've been gone for awhile and my apologies! I'm raising 2 kids, working in my studio and re doing my guitar system (which you can see on the picture) so I haven't been here for awhile! The ones that I enjoy the most are the Metro and Scumback plexi's. I actually use the cabinet from my profiles with other profiles I purchased because I like the way I mic my cabinets better. I gave the many profiles I purchased a new life. The one that seems to match with other amps is the ones from the 2 plexi's like the Metro/Friedman 75v and the 68/69 Scumback. I use DI profiles from all my amps with my band and rarely the ones I purchased.

I just bought a 68' Custom Fender Vibrolux Reissue and sent it to Alessandro which he modified it into the original specs and point to point wiring with a better OT and it sounds amazing. I'm trying to find time to profile the amp so I can hopefully share it! I'm glad you're enjoying the profiles!!!!

Thanx for the great work and profiles man! I had the same issue and solved it. I don't look for a similar profile to start profiling the amp. I just profile the amp once. Then using that profile, I start over. For my JMP-1 preamp profiles, I had a random marshall profile. I started the profiling process. When it's done, I saved it as JMP-1-001. Then when the JMP-1-001 profile is active on the Kemper, I started the process again. So the profiler did the job using a very similar (actually the same jmp-1) profile. I named the new profile JMP-1-002. It seems to work fine for me.

Thanks for the tip!

Since this would be A DI profile, I don't know if it would hurt the speakers to put a couple of blankets over them and make an attempt without an attenuator or may be if they fit inside a closet temporarily.. I also believe the DI you're using might have a 20db pad which might help with the volume issue.

The Behringer has two -20db pads but they're both on and with the PS attenuator volume between 3 and 4 I have the level of the Kemper profiling page at - 23 to - 20 db so I might have some headroom. The problem is that my booth is right my kid's bathroom and just at moderate levels the glass in the bathroom shakes like crazy! It sounds like an earthquake! I thought I replied to your post, but I don't see it! Thanks for your tip!

Are any of your DI profiles available to download ?

No, are you interested? When I play live , I use either a Marshall 4 x 12 cab(or 2) or a Port City 2 x 12 with a Mesa 2 90. I don't use FRFR so I needed to make some DI when I play with my band. I haven't tested them out live, but they sound great in my studio. I did DI profiles of my BE100,PT100 and Mesa Recto. I made 3 or 4 from each from different channels. This is my 1st time making DI profiles, but if you want to test them and see what you think I can post them.

Thank for the reply. In order to get the right tone from the Plexi's the volume has to be at least at 5 which would be extremely loud! If I use a power amp with a guitar cabinet from using the outputs of the Kemper, while being on profiling mode you can monitor the tone of the Plexi and it sounds fine. I even tried using my AC30 I'm getting the same results, overly distorted with no definition. I wonder if my DI's are the weak link? Like I said, the PS attenuator, it's an attenuator with a 50 watt power amp with 6L6 tubes so the DI is getting the output of the PS with the volume at 2! I tried putting the volume so low that I had to increase the level on the amp with the Kemper on profiling mode with the same results! I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the Fryette Power Station which is an attenuator with a tube power amp, so when using an nmv head full up it's essentially working the same as high gain amp. My Plexi's don't get near as much gain as my BE100,PT100,etc. The DI it's not getting that much of a load since I have the PS attenuator actually at a lower than when I'm profiling a high gain amp because I'm running NMV full up. When I'm making normal profiles(with mic'd cabinet) I have no issues at all. The only gear that's getting the full load of the amp is the attenuator and it's power amp section is plugged into the DI at low volumes. So I can't understand why the profiles don't sound right. Another thing that happens is that the Kemper think there's noise reduction unit plugged in which I don't.

I use both single coil and humbuckers equally. For humbuckers my all time favorite are the PRS 59/09 set with a DC resistance of 9.3k(bridge) and 8.4k(neck) they're a bit hot with an amazing clarity. For single coils, I've gone through many of them and settled with Fralin's real 54's with the noise canceling back plate which works incredibly well. I also have the Suhr VLP60 but they lack the complex tone associated with the originals and the Fralin 54's so they're destined to my "pickup cemetery" box which is getting quite full!

I finally got around to make some DI profiles and they sound amazing! For live playing, I was using profiles that were made with a cabinet and turning off the cabinet. They sounded cool but something was missing. I had great success making DI profiles with all my high gain amps but with my non-master volume amps is not working at all. The way I'm doing it is the same way I've been doing all my regular profiles by plugging my amp's speaker output to a Fryette Power Station attenuator with a TC Electronics 2240 parametric eq plugged into the FX loop of the Power Station. This way I can drive my amps hotter to get the power tubes to work harder. To make the DI profiles I used a Behringer Ultra G DI box or a CAI Countryman type A FET DI box which both can handle a guitar amp. I use the PS attenuator's speaker output and plug it into the DI box and it worked perfectly with my high gain amps but with my non-master volume Plexi amps it sounded horrible! It doesn't make sense since the PS attenuator is handling the Plexi's full volume while the DI boxes are receiving the same volume level as my high gain amps which I usually set the master volume to 4. All my high gain amps sound amazing with great detail, but my Plexi's sound dark and too distorted. If anyone has any idea of what's going on, it would be greatly appreciated!Thanks!

I tried the BIAS software amp and it sounded horrible to my ears.After using the KPA for 5 months the, only thing that is missing in my humble opinion is more effects, like more parameters for the echo, pitch, etc. I still use my Axe Fx 2 for effects only and the KPA strictly for amps for live performances. The pedal simulation on the KPA is much better than the Axe Fx 2. After playing the KPA, there's no way I can go back to the Axe Fx 2 for amp simulation. The KPA gets a much better tone without doing a lot of tweaking. With the Axe Fx 2 I was spending more time re-adjusting parameters than playing my guitar. I do wish that the KPA would come with a full feature editor which would make it easier to make patches and more flexible.

I checked Vinnie Moore and he's really good, but I'm not even close to his skills as a player. Perhaps it's the harmonizing of fast runs that might be similar? From what I heard, it looks like he favors humbucking pickups. I like to blend single coil pickups with humbuckers on some of my rhythm parts. I really like this amazing player, his name is Rick Graham and his the master in hybrid picking and legato playing. He teaches guitar on youtube, look him up. I've been trying to learn his picking technique, but I've been doing up/down picking forever so it's hard to get used to it! I have to actually sit down and
    play with a metronome and I'm afraid that I'll be 60 years old before I break my old picking habits! Thank you for introducing me to Vinnie Moore! He's a great player!

For real? Your 'jam' reminded me of an old tune of his called "Daydream." Look it up on YouTube perhaps. Your playing style and harmonized lines are reminiscent of that tune as well. Great stuff.[/quote]

I'll check it out! I wrote the chord progression in 1987 and found a video of my old band playing it live at a club in LA. It even had lyrics and melody! I liked the lick so I re-did it as a guitar jam just recently. My friend used to be into Vinnie Moore but since there was so many guitar shredders coming out in those days, I just stuck to a few. Besides, we didn't have internet and youtube! Maybe I could learn some stuff from him!

What a cool job, great! Reminded me of Vinnie Moore back in his prime. Those tones are killer - I've just found this thread today so I will definitely be checking out your profiles... sounds awesome on this track. Can't wait. Thanks so much for all your hard work and being so generous with your work!![/quote]

Thank you! I've never listened to Vinnie Moore, but I've heard of him. I hope you enjoy the profiles!

These profiles sound excellent with my Tele as well! Very responsive to pick attack, and, as someone commented on your profiles in another thread - kind of 3D sounding.

Thank you very much!

Thanks, I hope they inspire you to play or write some cool music. These amps are very responsive to pick attack and I was hoping the Kemper would capture that. I think that the NOS preamp tubes in both amps help. I tried many of the new ones and I keep going back to them. I'm hoping they last because they're getting expensive!

the profile selected when switching to PROFILING has no impact on the new Profile, as already stated, it's recommended, so you can verify that your new Profile sounds good when compared to a presumably good sounding Profile.[/quote]

Thank you for also clarifying this.Waraba and paults also said that it makes tagging easier. Another thing I just learned is that the monitor out has his own general eq which is like a guitar amp eq with a presence knob! This helps when using a SS power amp which sounds darker to my ears. I usually use my Mesa 2 90, but with my terrible back problems, I've been trying to slim down my live rig. I don't run FRFR, I've preferred using a 4 x 12 and just recently switched to a Port City 2 x 12 cabinet. The eq applies to all the patches which it's really good! I'm using a Crown XLS1000, but for some reason my Mesa 2 90 sounds louder!

yeah thx Eljodon , I tried em but they are still gainy for me ,and lowering the gain on your profiles did not help that much. I'm really picky about crunch tones and you're clearly on a much more modern tone quest that mine, but hey that' s the beauty of this community 'les gouts et les couleurs' as we say in french ( taste and colours).

I see you have an AC30 ... a dream amp ... I'm really looking forward these one and the clean channels from the Suhr, metro , Friedman , man what a collection you got , I'm a bit jealous ^^ But hell yeah it takes a long time and a trained ears as well as some amp tweaking skills to fire up a good profile, good luck !

LOL Thanks! But I'm not only into high gain, I also love the clean/breakup tones. I did the high gain ones first because they're easier, the ones you like is where many amp modelers fail are more difficult because I think the tones are more complex in my own opinion. I hope I can make some profiles that will please you, because I always like a challenge! The Clean channels of the Suhr and BE100 are very disappointing to me. I like the vintage Fender clean tones much better. I made the mistake of selling a 1969 Fender Dual Showman reverb that was given to me. I sounded amazing with a huge headroom! I've done this before because I sometimes I have to upgrade my studio which can be expensive!! But I decided to keep whatever I have or buy in the future because I alway end up regretting it!

Thanks for your quick response! This really helps. I'm profiling like crazy and trying different
    micing technics, once I have something I'm happy with as far the breakup/crunch tone I'll put it up. Perhaps you should try the new ones I posted with my 68 Metro/Friedman and 68/69 Sumback plexi. the one labeled with "5I" which is treble input and the "5J" which is the amp with both channels jumped with the amp at mid volume. Maybe those will work for you?

Hi,

I've been searching for information about finding a similar profile that sounds like the profile I'm trying to make. Why is it necessary for the Kemper amp to use another profile to make your own? It seems to have an effect on the profile I'm trying to make depending on what profile I end up choosing . I would like to understand the process in which the Kemper amp goes through to make a profile. I wish we wouldn't need to find a similar profile in order to make your own. When the Kemper amp was 1st design, how did they make their 1st profiles when they didn't have any profiles at all that sounded similar?
    Another question I have is about making DI profiles. I'm using different DI's and set up everything correctly according to the manual including selecting "no cabinet" Do I need another profile that's DI to make a new one? It ends up sounding dark when I run it into a power amp and a 4 x 12 cabinet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks