Posts by hendrix.stratman

a dr. z z-28....but once I figure this thing out, I would like to profile a JCM800, VoxAC30, Victoria 45410 Bassman, and Deluxe Reverb....

I have a SM57 and some cables, and I don't have a sound room or ISO box. I just have this gear in my basement....

I would like to just learn how to use the Kemper correctly, and I am not the best with written directions because there are always questions that come to me that I need explained...

• Can you tell me if I am connecting everything right in order to make a profile of an amp...
      I plugged my amp's input to the kempers direct output/send using an instrument cable

I plugged my SM57 XLR cable to the Return using a XLR cable

I plugged my CLR Atomic Wedge using a XLR to the Main XLR connection.

Then I turned the chicken head knob on kemper to the profile option and began to profile the amp. Step 1 told me check the volumes of both the kemper and reference amp, so using my ear I just turned the volume up on my CLR Atomic Wedge until the volume was approximately the same as the reference amps. I did not touch the Return Level volume knob at all (I am not sure what this knob does because when I do turn it one way or the other I don't hear any audible volume changes in the reference amp or the CLR.) can someone explain this to me...?

Then I go to the next page and hit start profiling And it goes through all the weird noises.

Then I refine the profile a couple times and then I am done.

Am I doing this right? I have head phones but I have not used them for anything in this process. Let me know if there is a reason I should be using them.

Also, after I made my profile, my profile seemed to have a lot of white noise coming out of my CLR speaker, but when I switch over to the reference amp there is no white noise hiss. Can anyone explain this?

Also, I use my amps standby switch to mute the reference amp in order to hear the Profile coming out of my CLR by itself. Is this appropriate to do?
      Is it recommended that I use a second mic and hook up a mixer and get a ISO box or turn a closet into a sound room to get a better profile?

Can you tell me if I am connecting everything right in order to make a profile of an amp...

I plugged my amp's input to the kempers direct output/send using an instrument cable

I plugged my SM57 XLR cable to the Return

I plugged my CLR Atomic Wedge using an instrument cable to the Main left jack.

Then I turned the chicken head knob on kemper to the profile option and began to profile the amp. Step 1 told me check the volumes of both the kemper and reference amp, so using my ear I just turned the volume up on my CLR Atomic Wedge until the volume was approximately the same as the reference amps. I did not touch the Return Level volume knob at all (I am not sure what this knob does because when I do turn it one way or the other I don't hear any audible volume changes in the reference amp or the CLR.

Then I go to the next page and hit start profiling And it goes through all the weird noises.

Am I doing this right? I have head phones but I have not used them for anything in this process. Let me know if there is a reason I should be using them.

Also, after I made my profile, my profile seemed to have a lot of white noise coming out of my CLR speaker, but when I switch over to the reference amp there is no white noise. Can anyone explain this?

Also, I use my amps standby switch to mute the reference amp in order to hear the Profile coming out of my CLR by itself. Is this appropriate to do?

Can you tell me if I am connecting everything right in order to make a profile of an amp...

I plugged my SM57 XLR cable to the Return

I plugged my CLR Atomic Wedge using an instrument cable to the Main left jack.

Then I turned the chicken head knob on kemper to the profile option and began to profile the amp. Step 1 told me check the volumes of both the kemper and reference amp, so using my ear I just turned the volume up on my CLR Atomic Wedge until the volume was approximately the same as the reference amps. I did not touch the Return Level volume knob at all (I am not sure what this knob does because when I do turn it one way or the other I don't hear any audible volume changes in the reference amp or the CLR.

Also, after I made my profile, my profile seemed to have a lot of white noise coming out of my CLR speaker, but when I switch over to the reference amp there is no white noise. Can anyone explain this?

As of now, both my reference amp and my kemper amp sounds come out of my reference amp speakers when I switch back and forth between the kemper and reference amp.

What does it mean that I can "monitor" my kemper through different speakers or mixer or headphones in order to compare it to the reference amp. I am assuming this means I can compare the sound coming out of my amp and its speaker to the profile I am making with the kemper and a different speaker and get them as close as possible. I have a NEO Atomic Wedge, could I use this as my "Monitor" and if so where would I connect it to and with what type of cable?

I just connected my profiler to my Dr. z z-28 to profile it (my first profile). I connect my SM57 mic to the proper Return jack. Then, I plugged my amp to the Direct Output/Send jack. I plugged my guitar into the kemper input on the front.

I DO NOT have a mixer. Do I need one?

The first couple times I tried to begin profiling, I got the error message about amp not being connected or volume too low. When I flip back and forth between the reference amp and kemper the volumes coming out of the Z-28 cab seem to be the same level of volume. The error message came up a couple more times, so I just twisted the Return Level knob to the right (just to some random position) and it appeared to work and the kemper profiled the Z-28.

I have no idea why the error came up and what I did to solve it. Can you please explain it to me and go easy on me...

I just bought an SM57 and I would like to profile all my amps. However, I don't have a studio with sound proof rooms and isolation boxs to put my amps in. I figured I would just profile my amps in my basement, however when I crank my amps up to profile them my walls rattle....

Where do you guys do your profiling? Any suggestions for me considering I don't have a studio or ISO box, nor do I want to pay for a studio time.

Do you guys crank your amps up (like a jcm800) in your house in order to capture the loud power tube break up? I have headphones, is there a way to capture loud amps yet keep the volume low?

What kind of cab do you use?

I have an avatar 2x12 but it's in the vintage Marshall type cabinet, so it's big and heavy...I'm looking for something that's more convenient to carry and transport...

Do you think the Atomic CLR cabinets are the same thing as the wedges, same thing in a different box?

if you show up to a band practice with a kemper power head and a Atomic NEO CLR, and you play with :P other guitarists who use regular amps and pedals, if there a noticeable difference in the sound between them?

If there were two guitarists in the band and both used a kemper, I would assume the sound would meld together better, but playing next to regular amps, does the kemper and CLR sound weak or "different" or digital.... or does it blend in perfectly

I am an at home bedroom player, but I will occasionally play with my uncles band (they play mostly popular rock n roll from the 1950s and 1960s cover songs). The lead guitarist/singer is phenomenal on the guitar and when we trade solos between himself, me, and the other acoustic guitarist, he just rocks out and has an awesome tone coming out of his amp and I think the sound also gets picked up from the microphones/pa system in the room making it just sound really fat (some songs are clean tones just boosted a bit to have more sustain and volume, some songs he kicks in some overdrive/distortion/dirt), then when he points to me to take a solo, my amp sounds weak and thin always even though I used several good amps (victoria 45410, deluxe reverb reissue, and dr. z z-28....I haven't yet used my vox ac30hw2x)...however, I am never able to turn the volume up past 2 or 3 on these amps, which gives me a clean tone, but then I have to throw overdrive pedals in front of my amps such as the OCD or Paisley, and then I like to bring a delay pedal as well...However, its a pain in the ass to bring these things and still sound pretty shitty. My overdrive always sounds harsh and awkward for the music we are playing. He plays out of a $250 Crate Amp and a Korg Ax150g pedal with a Peavy Wolfgang guitar, and sounds so much better than my rigs that cost so much more money (I have brought American Made Strats, Telecasters, Les Paul, and a handmade Strat). Its always slightly embarrasing carrying all this stuff into the basement, hooking up all the cables, and not having a good tone (we don't really spend time trying to find me a good tone either, its really just plug everything and start playing).

I am looking for something more easy to transport, hook up, and have a variety of tones immediately that sound good. I bought a KEMPER POWERHEAD and one ATOMIC CLR NEO Active Wedge, and I have only been playing them at home at low volumes. I haven't worked up the nerve to bring the kemper and neo wedge to play with them, because I am not so sure how easy it would be to find good tones at a good volume, and if it will sound good, so I just keep bringing my regular amps.

What are you thoughts on this situation?...And do you have any profiles I could download and know that they would sound good for that kind of music at a volume high enough for a light drummer in a large finished basement type environment....I don't want to be tweaking knobs during songs....

I am playing my kemper powered head through my beyer dynamic dt880 250ohm headphones, and it sounds like the guitar tone is slightly pushed back in the "mix" of the headphone. Like even when I hit some notes (especially in a chord), they just don't all ring out with enough volume or the notes decay and die off really fast, to where it doesn't seem natural. I don't think the noise gate is the culprit either. I feel like there should be a knob allowing me to push the guitar tone closer to the front of the "Mix" so to speak. Anyone have this issue?

Why di you think kemper put in a 33ohm headphone jack, and not something more compatiable with a higher quality 600ohm headphone considering that a kemper is a studio grade/quality product.