Posts by SpinnerDeluxe

Boring and funny at the same time. Maybe answer is very simple? But wait its Kemper forum...

Allowed: Spot on, the same, better than Amp, amazing outstanding, fantastic, sick,
    Forbidden: sounds close but not the same, amp part is almost always the same, the key is profiled cab part...

Wot?!?

I am not the greatest fan-boy of the moderation here, but your *forbidden* section is way off.

To me, the tones sort of remind me of an old J-Station spliced with a POD but with a lot more flexibility and cool "stuff" to tweak.

Did you read that, Sinmix? The OP thinks that each and every profile he ever checked on the Kemper sounds like modeller and not at all like tube amp. In fact I never heared that statement before. So this is not repeating to me, and still funny. :D

And to repeat again, the " modeler vibe" this unit is generating exists on all profiles I've tried. Which casts doubt that a setting on the real amp is where the issue lies....

Thats why I would suggest the easy road:

Just make a recording of some factory profile (one we can all access). Upload the DI signal and the final tone. Then we will instantly know. If your Kemper is faulty - or not.

Kann es an der Stromversorgung der evtl. zu klein dimensionierten USB Buchse des Netbooks liegen? Gibt es da überhaupt Unterschiede?

Ich denke nicht, dass der Kemper von der USB-Stromversorgung abhängt. Der hat ja eine eigene.

Hast Du schon mal im Gerätemanager geschaut, ob der Kemper sich bei USB einträgt? Und wenn ja, dann hoffentlich mit dem Hinweis, dass etwas mit dem Treiber nicht stimmt. Dann wäre es ein reines SOftwareproblem und es gäbe Hoffnung...

Any chance the KPA I have just sounds bad, something in the converter cicuits, analog I/O buffering or something else in the hardware? Recent design changes? Component tolerances in the way some tube amps can differ? Anything at all along these lines?

I wouldnt exclude this.

Given the fact that you claimed none of the readily available profiles did sound good to you its not a pure profiling problem anyway. ;)

Ola is well known for making all amps sound the same. So the test is not easy. :D I took it kindof serious, but not on my mastering monitors, but just on my surround system (JBL + Samson Sub) and got it 100% correct! 8) With one restriction, though: I could not hear a difference between Kemper and Mesa, so I wrote both in those 2 cases. Its really important to have the test *blind*. So our eyes cant betray our ears.

What I actually did was listening to the "warmth". A strange term, I know, but it worked. My order from cold to warm is:

Helix -> Axe -> Bias -> Kemper/Mesa

Having said that: When dialed in correctly I would not hesitate to use those candidates within a mix. Especially the Helix got much better than before, most probably due to excellent cabinet IRs. And in a mix I cant imagine to be able to hear which is which.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Do not destroy your chance for the blind test by clicking the results too early! :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

From the Kemper announcment:

"Why don’t we profile those smooth, silky and creamy overdrives that all the guitarists love? To do that, we needed an amp sounding as clean and transparent as possible to catch the pure tone of these great OD pedals. And this is where our story begins..."

...and my questions. How to use this?

Did I get that correctly: the actual distortion pedal resides in the amp profile. So all stomps are free for different purposes. One could also change the cab. But not the "amp", of course.

Hi Guys,

I been playing tube amps for over 30 years, and after a week or so of downloading rigs, reading, tweaking, testing I was getting closer - but all I had to do was go back and reference a real amp track and the difference was obvious (to me anyway). To me, the tones sort of remind me of an old J-Station spliced with a POD but with a lot more flexibility and cool "stuff" to tweak.

If really none of the existing profiles came at least very close to the real tube amp for you, then there is no need for you to continue profiling. We can exclude bad speakers too, because you claimed that A/B the real thing with the profile through the same mic / speaker has been performed.

Congratulations. You've got the very, very rare diamond ears - even better then the golden ones.

I would not blame Reaper for the instability. Reaper as such is rock solid. And its VST interface is proven.

Seems like in the DAW and plugin domain things turned upside down: you dont get what you pay for. My main reason for the cheapo Reaper is stability. Had Logic Platinum (the last version on PC/Win) and Cubase. Both crashed way too often. Reaper simply doesnt.

Back to Revoice: our human hearing is ultra-sensitive when it comes to human voices. So its not an easy task to pitch shift. If you want to use more than just pitch correction or micro-detuning you really need to *camouflage* your artificial harmonies with mix tricks. There are good YT tutorials out there.

BTW: did you test and compare ReaVoice - which comes with Reaper?

I've often wondered if I was just hearing things or if the delays were really having phase issues when I run master mono out. I just thought I was hearing things. Maybe there are some issues. Not really enough to complain about, but it is something.

What is a "phase issue"?

DIfferent phases of one and the same audio source comes from, well, a *delay* between both. Its just the nature of the beast. I.e. two microphones, with one standing further away.

Depending on the length (and modulation) of the delay it will - and *must* - change phases. Thats what it is all about. You decide (by tweaking it) how it will sound.

Very small delay times, say below 50 ms will change the combined sound, i.e. by combfiltering. That means our ears still hear one guitar, but altered in sound. Slightly above 50 or 70 ms our ears will tend to hear still one sound, but with a kindof room reflaction (which comes from the delayd sound). When the delay times get longer our ears will "suddenly" hear 2 distinct guitars, with one just playing "later".

If you want to reduce those "issues" with smaller delay times you might want to reduce the high frequency content of delayed part. If you still dont like the outcome: switch it off.