Posts by Ibot39

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Glenn Hughes still unbelievable good

Have way to many guitars :)

But 8)

... I am working on my metal skills again atm... and getting more and more tired of fretwear, unplug instrument / changing batteries, adjusting floyd rose, uncomfortable arm rest / bridge, grabbing another guitar for only some clean parts.

So needed a new uncompromising Metal workhorse that is still pretty flexible if needed :S

Passive pickups - splittable, comfortable arm contour, comfortable fixed bridge and jumbo stainless steel frets...

... the Schecter PT Apocalypse ticks all the boxes for me right now.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Great songwriting and vocals... epic like best moments of Savatage, King Diamond, but still heavy.

New guitar in the arsenal soon... while making room for the new one, I found a guitar case hidden in the corner with this "cheapo" inside. Originally purchased to play some slide and blues, it never really got much playing time. But it looks so good that I don't have the heart to sell it for small money. So it will stay a littlle bit longer, waiting for the metal head being ready and matured to play some slide guitar one day :)

Kemper spotting: Rack and Stage (... but also a Helix Stomp) :)

You’re the only person I’ve ever heard claim it adds ‘a huge amount’. That’s inaccurate.

No. It does not. Not enough to tell between on/off. The *pedal* you place in it might - but not the loop itself.

Further more if it turns out that you need a buffer, you already have one in the Profiler. If you are ok with loosing one effects slot, you can put an effects loop right to the first slot, and hook your pedals in there.

Using the effects loop adds a huge amount of latency - more than 7ms on top of the basic latency of the unit (plus the latency of digital pedals in the chain).

...Plus the fact that the kemper team listens to what their user base asks for...

I can clearly remember times when Kemper argued with vehemence why there is no need for an editor or a floor unit! And the fanboys defending it to the bone!!

The need for an editor to stay competitive was very very obvious, but it took many years until Kemper finally had an insight. Now we even have a Kemper Player that has no screen on the unit and is heavily depending on the editor.

The success of Kemper is not BECAUSE they are always up-to-date to the demand (or we would have a tuner in Rig Manager yesterday ;)). They have success DESPITE being late to the party with the editor, the Stage and now the Player. But they don't seem to strive for maximum profit or growth. And doing well with that I guess.

ToneX is a real winner regarding the pure authentic amp tone. Also very interesting: The part with new Kemper Liquid profiling against ToneX. This all confirms what I was experiencing lately myself using ToneX vs Kemper.

When capturing chains with drive pedals or using a loadbox, ToneX is even more superior than Kemper and it's a better pedal platform. Kemper still is great and a better "all-in-one" solution for many use-cases, so I am not gonna sell it. But the amp tone and feel of ToneX is just so close to the real deal. I can't deny that.

At least: When making new profiles with Kemper I now use the ToneX DI wav file for Refining and get better results:

I really wish that in a future update Kemper incorporates some easy to use and enhanced automatic refining process that gives more consistent and even better profiles.

So we learned and heard that the Fender TMP modelling is not able to get concvincing authentic amp models of other brands... especially the Marshall models are way off... waaaaay off.

The rumor persists, that they - at least - did a better job with modelling their own amps. They did not... this unit is just a big fail imo and will be redundand soon. Or they revise the whole modelling and quality of amp models. What a pity.

The difference is evident when you think of an amps (high gain) Lead Channel. Even with gain reduced almost all the way down, it may offer still plenty of gain. Also the sound can change dramatically (thin and nasty for example) and you usually have to adjust the EQ.

With a Kemper profile taken from a sweet spot of that Lead channel, generic gain enables the user to bring down the gain to chrunch or even edge of breakup (not possible with the amp at all in this channel) and obtain the initial sound of the profile.

Changing only the gain with Liquid profiles imitates the channel of the real amp. And it may not be possible to get it to the crunch you want at all (or without sacrife) ... it also replicates the tonal change of the channel (maybe sounding shrill, thin and lifeless) without touching the EQ.

Installed a small switch / mod into my my 2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (which already has been upgraded some time ago with locking tuners and a prewired Fender HSS pickguard with Shawbucker and Noiseless pickups).

The switch only affects the Shawbucker and connects the blue 1nF ceramic capacitor (parallel, to ground). The effect is pretty much the same as what the res peak switch of the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster does in setting 1 (820pF cap on the new and 1nF on the older model): Shifting the resonance peak of the pickup down.

I like the Shawbucker for what it does. It is a bright, low output and very dynamic pickup, that goes well with the single coils. But in some cases it can be a bit too much bite and spank and I would like to have a "classic sounding" humbucker. Tested a few caps and 1nF works best for me. It sounds subtle enough, but much more like a well balanced classic humbucker now. In high gain the effect seems subtle first, but it makes a huge difference for me. Without noise gate you can clearly hear how some (disturbing) high frequencies are cut out. I still get a cutting, but more pleasing metal tone without strange piercing highs. With 2nF and higher cap values it gets too much of a cocked wah tone (similar to SD Pickup Booster in setting 2).

I couldn't get the same results with tone control (feels like loosing some attack...) or with EQ (playing around with 5khz, 2.5khz...). And I didn't want to get rid of the unique sounding Shawbucker either. So it was a pretty simple cheap mod that turned out great and made this already versatile guitar even more flexible. Also dropped in an Orange Drop cap on the tone control, simply because I had one lying around unused... :)

BEST interview!

Pickboy picks arrived today! The PEI / Ultem Series is not available in Germany, so I had to order in the USA.

Edge, Pos A Grip and Hi-Modulus design.

The Carbon/Nylon picks can produce static noise on electric guitar (in recording situation), because of its material mix.

So I am glad I have the Ultem alternative now. But I really love the Pos A Grip - both Ultem and Polycarbonate. They say - for what ever reason - 1.00mm, but they are very stiff and noticeable thicker (around 1.40mm when I remember correctly). The Polycarbonate is on the brighter side, but not cheap sounding at all. Very good pick.