Posts by Ibot39

I like Triangle Picks.

First row: Techpicks Italy with different materials. I like them how they are, but also mod them with different bevels, slightly smaller, less round...

Row 2: BlueChip TP60 and STP60 (which is slightly smaller than small Primetone), Wegen CF140 (I polished the surface and slightly optimized bevel),

Dunlop Primetone Tri smooth 1.4, then small Tri 1.5 and small Tri 1.4

Row 3: Dunlop Primetone Tri Grip small in 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, Akira Takasaki Primetone in 1.4 and with grip polished off, Gravity Striker Standard 1.5 RH speed bevel

Row 4: Three custom Ultem picks, Ernie Ball Prodigy small 2.0 and 1.5, Dunlop Petrucci Trinity Pick

Row 5: Dunlop Gator Grip 1.0, Dunlop Flex Triangle 1.14 and a modded smaller version, Ibanez Hard Elastomer 2.2 and smaller mod

Row 6: Classic Celluloid Triangle Pick (346 style), next ChickenPicks Bermuda III pointy and regular in 2.7 and 2.1mm

thanks to the recommendations here, I still play Prime Tones, but usually not live since they have a tendency to disappear and our singer who plays acoustic in a few songs loooves to come over and ask for a pick.
    The black Jazz III XL is my default go to, but currently I'm giving the Jazz III Tortex 1.35mm a try and after a few shows I'm quite happy with them.

Dunlop Tortex Jazz III... Andy Timmons manages to get some great tones out of them :)

I think he plays 1.14.

Fun fact: I practiced for months not to always touch the strings with pick AND finger. Then I heard Andy Timmons explain, he likes the small Jazz III because his finger is simultaneously touching the strings for articulate tone. So I am back holding the pick that way 8)

This is how the Gravity Gold Series Standard picks look in original. Unaltered they sound much warmer / rounder. A bit like the Dunlop Delrin 500 many will know. With other bevels and sharper tip they produce brighter tones.

I have tons of new picks to test here. Very interesting ones like TECHPICKS ITALY or Presicion Pick from "Dan's Guitar Store", Ibanez Elastomer, different Pickboy Ultem picks, Dunlop Jason Richardson Signature, Big Stubby Nylon... Techpicks Italy are cool, but some materials contain something like graphite or carbon and can make static noise on electric guitar (similar to Adamas Picks). But one is called TP4 and the material seems to be molded Torlon/PAI (I guess). This is very nice (but I make my own version out of them - less round with slightly different bevel).

I will once in a while post new findings here, but it's hard for me to try out all that stuff and play guitar at the moment, because of chemotherapy side effects and fighting for life

I really like the GRAVITY Gold Series. It's the cheaper line compared to the older Gold Classic picks, but made out of the same durable material (PEEK).

Because it is only available in one (molded) standard form, I use them as basis to make my own picks / shapes - see above.

Soundwise PEEK is in the middle between Vespel (BlueChip Picks) and Ultem - a tiny bit crisper than Vespel, but not as much highs as Ultem.

I have to correct my statement from above. It does not seem to be a "pretty o.k." sounding unit, it's instead a big disappointment (for me)! From all the many demo videos available yet and all the influencers trying very, very hard: None of the tones sound good. It sounds sooo cheap, like a modeller from 10 years ago. WTF?!

I wanted to like it. I wanted this thing to be great. But this thing is no Quad Cortex killer, not even a Helix killer. Let's see if updates bring some improvements in tone, but I don't believe in a big step up. Soundwise this thing is on the level of Hotone, NUX and other cheapos... at best.

I guess people with no modeller experience or newcomer may like the whole package and don't be aware of how mediocre (or dare I say "bad") this thing sounds.

What a pity...

In addition to my post above:

Tested... there is NO difference in sound and feel when using unaltered, untweaked profiles (when adding different tonestacks).

Also made myself some liquid profiles where I know the settings (set gain pot reference and EQ then burn and save); after that it still sounds absolutely the same as the original profile. But now can be tweaked with the original amps EQ in mind.

I think there are 3 main points that make some think liquid sounds or feels better:

1. People using it "wrong" / did not understand it completely yet: They flip tonestacks to random, already tweaked profiles and of course in this case there is a difference. No problem using it this way if it sounds good. But making wrong conclusion is misleading...

2. They now have the courage to finally tweak the knobs and use Kemper EQ (and it's maybe easier now). Adding some treble... makes it instantly feel better...yeah

3. Just imagination...even if the creator itself says there is no difference

:*

Everyone says including kemper there no change, but if you flip through the tonestacks i find there is. Its slight but when you turn a knob just a little its then you realize that the profile now feels better an clearer than the stock. But you cant hear it when you flip through?

What profiles are you using? Completely unaltered, untweaked profiles? If there has been any small changes in the gain setting and tone controls after profiling (made by the author / seller / user), that profile will sound slightly different when flipping through tonestacks, because the "tweaks" now translate different.

I’ve been using 2mm mandolin picks for years but you’ve convinced me to give the dunlops a whirl don’t let me down 😎

Depends on what sound you are after. Dunlop Ultex picks are brighter sounding picks (but in a good way, not cheap).

Some people don't like Ultex and favour something like the Dunlop Flex picks that are pretty warm sounding, but not very dynamic imo (some people call this consistent and great for shredding). All have their operation area.

The Dunlop Primetone Small Tri picks are very versatile and dynamic - with some practice you can achieve cutting bright or balanced smooth tones with the contoured bevels. And you can naturally control the loudness and character of the attack with the angle and amount of force you put into it.

For example this works better with Primetone picks than with the praised BlueChips. BlueChip picks sound pretty similar to the Flex picks (but feel different): clear and warm attack with lack of some dynamic (and character), but nice consistent tone for mandolin, bluegrass...

The Dunlop Flow picks are great universal picks that get fuller and warmer sounding with increasing thickness, but you also get more and more chirp and clicking sound (1,5mm sounds best and very balanced imo).

Dunlop Flow Gloss are great picks too and feature a different bevel - it's an almost tactical weapon, vey precise, but still plays very "flowish".

My love for Primetone Small Triangle picks is unbroken, but I also use the Hetfields's White Fang Custom Flow Pick from Dunlop in 1.14mm when I need some more snappy character in a still fully controllabe pick. It is not the same as the standard Flow pick in 1.14. It has a very different blended bevel (more like the Flow Gloss bevel) that makes it a tad brighter and with more snap.

Because I also use them very often for "not metal stuff", I sometimes find the printing on the pick a bit goofy. So I made some picks with the printing removed (ultrasonic cleaner). Now they look very serious 8)

I also like the "custom" Ultex picks I make myself using the Dunlop Ultex Sharp 2.0 as base material. In the end I have a pick very close to the Flow Gloss 2mm with a similar contoured tapered edge, but without the finger indentations.

The very early profiles from Mattfig were all profiled with settings on noon. Maybe they get a revival soon...

Not the gain...;)

Now the manual says

For [Liquid ] PROFILING, it is preferable to set the gain control of your reference amp to the maximum position

Now I really should try out the very first Mattfig rigs, because on paper they seem perfect for adding LP / Tonestacks?!

Mattfig

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yes, Axe-Fx III

I don't get how the "new gain" control will work and bring realistic gain structure? And also when the profile stays the same it will still react like we are used to. For example when I profile a Supro amp at edge of break up. Then when I boost the profile with a pedal it sounds very different than the real amp boosted. The real amp brings in more fuzz tone for example and the Kemper does not. So I learned to profile with way more gain and other tricks, then bring the gain down when using with drive pedals. I can't see how the new features will solve this?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.