Posts by RockmanCentralBob

I've been using an RFX MIDI Buddy (later switched to a MIDI Wizard) with my Kemper and it works great for me in performance mode.

Since it has 10 patch buttons, I have immediate access to 2 performances (10 presets) at a time.

I have noticed a very slight lag when going between performance patches, so I try not to do that in the middle of a song.

Otherwise, I have 2 banks, a total of 4 performances, that covers all the sounds I use.

I have one of the switches set up for morphing, and the other one I use for 2 momentary switches.

One switch is set up a lead boost (which I can also do using patches, but usually it's easier to use the momentary).

The other is set up for either a phaser or a flanger, pre distortion, which I only use in a couple of spots in my set.

I did program Sonar, which runs my backing tracks, to also be able to send automation for patch changes in my Kemper, but I never use the automation track. It just kinda felt like cheating a little. No offense to those that use it.... I definitely get the appeal, especially for someone playing metal...... that's a whole other level of concentration there, buddy!!

^^Sorry for the delay . I have so much gear in my home studio that does not get used anymore ...

I think many of us are in the same boat!!

I'm just too lazy to go through the hassle of listing it for sale.

I have racks and racks of those blue Rockman modules, and some very rare Rockman pieces as well.

XP100a, XP212, Rev 20 Sustainor's, Stereo Chorus's, Stereo Echo's, etc, etc.

Most of my rigs are a variation of 2 basic rigs (one clean and the other distortion) and then minor tweaks to the volume and delay settings, with the occasional flanger or phaser added to a stomp. I tore my hair out for days trying to do that for 2 performances.

In the end, the only way I could get it to work was to start with the Kemper disconnected from the computer so Rig Manager couldn't talk to it.

Then, I created a performance from scratch, switched to my local library and copied a stripped down rig (no phaser, flanger in one of the stomps section, and no delays set up in the Effects section) and pasted it to a performance slot. I did this for each slot.

Once I had the base slots set up, I connected my Kemper and copied the Performances to the appropriate performance slots.

Finally, disconnected my Kemper again, got out of Rig Manager and went onto the Kemper itself. There, I manually tweaked the rig volume for the each slot, added phaser or flanger to the appropriate slots, and added delays with that slots specific settings and saved them.

This was so much faster than trying to use Rig Manager in it's current state.

The current process of:

1. Go to your local library
    2. Right Click, Copy Rig
    3. Go back to the performance screen
    4. Select the correct performance again (it doesn't seem to remember the one you were on once you leave the performance view)
    5. Select the desired slot
    6. Right click and paste rig

SUCKS!!

As a suggestion, it would be MUCH easier if you could see the performance you are working on while you are trying to add rigs to it. And a drag and drop interface so you could see what rig you are adding to a specific performance slot would be SOOO much faster.

Or, did I miss this feature somehow and didn't know it?

OK, I admit it, I didn't read the Rig Manager manual, so if there's already a drag and drop and I missed, my apologies.

Apart from adding outboard effects, why would you need to do this? Would you not just copy the rig and load it into the "other" Kemper? I'm I missing something :)

The point would be to use the first profile with the cab off run through a program like Ozone with a tone match filter applied and then use the 2nd Kemper to create a new profile with that filter.

I've tried and tried to duplicate it, but haven't had any luck getting the right stereo width, chorus depth and mix.

No matter what I did it just ended up messing with the direct levels and colored the sound too much.

You need to be able to have the direct signal only on the left side and then delay the right side by 20 ms (or 40 ms for Long Chorus) while adding modulation. I think I got closest with the dual delay.

I finally gave up and just use a Rockman Stereo Chorus in the loop.

I also use a Rockman Stereo Echo that I've modified to be able to switch between a plate reverb-ish type sound and a longer delay sound.

It also has the ability to switch in a lower delay volume in either mode, giving me 4 different Reverb/Echo sounds.

These are the only 2 effects I use post distortion anyway, so I mostly just use the Kemper as a regular Amp.

Yes you can. Only tried it once but it worked fine. I wanted an eq’d version of a profile I did of one of my Marshall’s.
    I added the eq I wanted then exported that rig to one of my Stage units. I then reprofiled it on my Toaster. Worked fine.

Awesome!! I might have to pick up another Kemper then!

My friend..looks like your heart is aching for a second KPA..:)

Hey Nikos,

Do you think you might be willing to do a test for me?

I'm curious to know if it's possible to create a profile of a Kemper Profile....

ie- use one Kemper to profile the profile of another Kemper.

I've asked around and the jury seems to be out on this so I'm looking for someone with 2 Kempers to actually give it a try.

If it's possible, then I'm thinking it would be easy to make merged profiles with different custom tones (cabs) by profiling a profile run through a program like Ozone that has had "tone match" filters set up in it.

I've got to say, I am really not liking this version of Rig Manager.

As a software engineer, I honestly cannot believe Kemper let this go out as a release..... it's total shit!

Where in the hell was quality control?

I was so looking forward to the Editor and went through hell upgrading my system just so I could use it.... it was supposed to save us time.

I've spent literally the entire day trying to set up 2 performances.

I'm having the same issue on the latest OS on an unpowered rack.

I've been pulling my hair out all day trying to set up a single performance because nothing stays where I put it and all the presets and setting keep jumping from rig to rig.

So, after testing out different scenarios, one thing I discovered is that if I have my Rockman MIDI Octopus MIDI Thu connected to the Kemper's MIDI In, it's more likely to lock up. If I also have the USB cable connected to my computer, it's almost guaranteed to happen.

And once it starts happening, it's almost impossible to get it to stop happening unless I simply walk away from the unit for the day. Unplugging it for 30 seconds or so or turning it off for 30 seconds won't get it to fix, even if I use the Rig butting when restarting. I literally have to give up on it till the next day.

Any ideas why this is happening and what it has to do with the MIDI In? BTW, as far as I know, the MIDI Octopus doesn't keep sending signals while it's connected, and all I have connected to it is an RFX MIDI Wizard Pedal.

I've reset it several times using the Set to Browser while hitting Rig button for 30 seconds..... and I tried doing the same with it in Performance mode, comes up, but then Rig Manager says it has issues. Rinse, repeat ad nausium.

It's never able to finish opening Rig Manager while connected to the Kemper because of this.

Any ideas how to figure out which rig(s) may be causing it?

I think it's a fine concept in theory, as long as I can define where that folder is going to be located.

But maybe this is on the Kemper developers deciding to put those files in that location rather than giving the user a way to put them where they want to store them.... ie, someplace away from the OS that is easier to back up.

Hi Chris,

Thanks, your post helped a lot more than the other guys! LOL!!

The info about the location is exactly what I needed..... THANK YOU!!!

I'm on RM 3 now, and the old version was 2.xx, but I copied the files over anyway and they are showing up in Rig Manager now.

So hopefully all still works OK.

I still don't get all the different "Kemper Amps" folders scattered all over the place, especially in the Documents folder...... seems like that is where the Rigs should be stored rather than the AppData folder so the are easier for users to find. Like I said, there should also be an option in Preferences to decide where you want them stored, rather than Kemper hard coding it to the AppData folder, which is normally hidden. I usually want all of my data files stored off of my C: drive in case I have to wipe the drive and do a reinstall, do a restore, etc.

OK, so I finally bit the bullet and spent my whole Easter Sunday reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch onto a new hard drive. Before doing this, I found that in Windows 7, my Rig Manager libraries were stored in the Appdata folder on my C: drive, so I copied them to one of my secondary drives. I'd like to put them back now so I have all those profiles and rigs, but I'm not exactly sure where to put them, since it seems to have changed in Windows 10.

I tried adding a new folder under Local Library in Rig Manager to see if it would show up somewhere as a folder, but if it did, I can't find it. I suspect that they aren't real "folders" in the Windows OS sense, but merely entries in a DB file.

I did find a "Kemper Amps" folder under Documents, with a subfolder for RigManager and another subfolder below that called Autobackup. I've tried copying my old folder called Local Library into the RigManager folder, but they still don't show up in Rig Manager when I reopened it.

I tried taking one of the old DB files repositoryR2.db and replacing the file LocalLibraryR2.db in the AutoBackup folder, but that didn't work either.

I also found the Kemper Amps folder under Program Files too, which also has a Rig Manager folder with subfolders for Preset Packs and Rig Packs. I tried adding my files there too, and Rig Manager still wouldn't recognize them. Looks like maybe this was the original install location and then they were copied to the Documents folder.... IDK.

Any ideas how I can get these files back where they belong so Rig Manager can find them again? And also, any idea why I can't tell Rig Manager where to store these files myself? I'd feel safer having them on one of my secondary drives instead of on my OS drive.

I think this is where merged profiles come in....

I forget the exact process (this might be backwards), but basically you take a profile with the cab/mic/EQ'ing you want and then take another profile of just the raw sound without it. These can then be "merged" together and split apart more accurately.

I did some experimenting with this with one of my Rockman Sustainors.... I took a profile of the raw sound coming out of it and saved it as the base for merged profiles. I then ran the output through Ozone to create some tone match filters and then applied the filters as the cab section for the base profile to create merged profiles of various tones. Simply swapping out the cab section then yields the many different custom tones I want since the base is pretty much the same on those tones, and I can still vary the gain levels if needed.

Once I finish getting my machine switched over to Windows 10 (what a f'ing nightmare that's been!!!!!) and get my system software set back up, I plan on doing some more of this using my Rockmans as well as my Marshall JVM HJS through a 1960 lead stack with G12-T's and a HW stack with Original Heritage 30's. Honestly though, I really don't think it really matters what cabinets, mics or speakers you use though since Ozone is going to re-filter it to a target tone anyway.

I think there's a way to do this with a deconvolver but again, it looked like a real PITA.

This is why I was asking if it was possible to use 2 Kempers to "profile a profile". I'd like to take the raw tone of a Kemper profile (with the Cab off) and do that same process with Ozone to create just the custom tone match cab section for the merged profiles. It would make it a lot easier than having to set up my amp or Rockmans for the whole profiling process.

If you can't tell the difference between sim and a natural acoustic in your mix, you're definitely not a cork sniffer and definitely you shouldn't deal with mixes ;) Cheers!

I didn't say "I" couldn't tell the difference, I said "most people"... I'm talking about the people listening to the final mix, most of which aren't musicians. IE- the masses listening to mp3's these days.

For most of those people, a sim (especially the Kemper version we've heard a demo of) is indistinguishable from a "real acoustic" that's been mic'd up. It sounds close enough that, given their lack of knowledge about sim's, they wouldn't even question whether it was "real" or not. Maybe people some will notice it sounds a bit "off", but I doubt it.

But say that isn't the case, say it's obvious that it's not a real acoustic. Who cares? As long as it's the sound you are looking for or works in the song.

Prime examples: Hall and Oats, Genesis, ZZ-Top, et al used drum machines for certain songs because that's the sound they wanted. And yes, it was very obvious that those were not real drums, but it worked for the song. Phil Collins, a DRUMMER, used one on one of his most popular tracks, "In the Air Tonight", even though he had access to any drum set he could possibly want and some of the best engineers on the planet.

And these days, there are sims for just about everything, and many of them can fool even the most snobbish cork sniffer. I even heard about one company that uses software and hardware combined to make simulations of real amplifiers, and even professional musicians can't tell the difference!!! I'm sure you'll tell the likes of Neal Schon to stay out of any recording studios too....... waiting.....waiting......waiting..... ;)

I really can't imagine anyone thought the sim would be used instead of a real acoustic in the studio.

I see no reason not to do it as long as you are happy with the sound you get.

In a mix, most people might not even be able to tell the difference. You're always going to have the cork sniffers that demand everything be done the old fashioned way, but if we were worried about that, we wouldn't be playing through Kempers, now would we?