Posts by piotrmaj

The only way to stop it would be to start embedding digital signatures for each buyer, similar to SSL/TLS certificates operate (where Kemper would be root Certificate Authority, and sellers would be intermediate CA, trusted by Kemper) - if signature could not be verified Profiler would fail to use it. This would not prevent profiles from being copied but at least would allow to quickly find source of "leak" and such user could be banned from RE. I doubt Kemper is interested in managing such project - and to be honest I don't blame them. There will always be cheaters - but also there will always be more honest people than cheaters.

What Kemper could do, with a very minimal effort, is to create an API endpoint which would allow profile creators to check if their profile was uploaded to RE or not by checking metadata or even better by checking signature based on just profile data (excluding editable metadata, which could be altered by cheater). In this case it would be up to the seller to set up automated checks and initiate removal process (this process could be automated to large extent).

This happened to me once! I was puzzled because just like you I didn't touch any settings. In my case I unplugged power cable, waited a few seconds, plugged cable back and after "cold reboot" I got my sound back. This was on Stage (never ever experienced things like this on Toaster).

I love these profiles! C seems to be a bit darker than A or B and I prefer it. I had to tame A and B with high cut filter in output section slightly below 7K otherwise there is a bit too much high frequency buildup to my taste. They all sound beefy and organic. Excellent job, sir!

Yes, straight out of the box this pack sounds horrible on studio monitors / headphones (mostly due to cab "shift" settings), but it is quite simple to "fix" them (fix cab shifts, play with amps presence and definition + a touch of EQ to taste). I'm very happy with some V40 and Kraken sounds. I don't regret purchasing this pack.

In general, I find commercial profiles to be hit and miss - it is virtually impossible to make everyone happy - some level of tweaking will always be necessary.

This might be related to how floating point values are represented in computers. Most CPUs have 2 "zero" floating point values +0 and -0 (one of the bits representing number is called "sign-bit" and can be zero (+) or one (-)). For calculations it doesn't matter.

It also might be related to the fact the the real value is +/-0.00001 and it just didn't fit on a display.

Profile files are to some extent based on MIDI format (it is quite possible that they are just MIDI files but instead of standard MThd and MTrk section names Kemper uses KThd and KTrk). This format is not encrypted (at least metadata part) and it is quite possible that Kemper might be ignoring sections which it doesn't recognize (I didn't check that). If that is the case it would be possible to sneak in some kind of digital signature. The other possibility is to find a field in this file which Profiler understands but is not using ("reserved for future use" field, or one that is not displayed anywhere in the UI, and doesn't do anything, or is no longer used) - Kemper is very old product - I'm pretty sure that if you'd poke around long enough you would be able to find such field.

But who would bother doing that if profiles are usually cheap? I join "BS detected" camp on this one.

... is to buy their amp.

not interested in big, loud, heavy, single purpose device which requires even bigger cabinet box, or some other devices, like load boxes. Wouldn't have space and oppotunity to use them to their full potential. Should I buy it and make usable for me (that is: profile...) and keep in storage? Makes no sense. Real amps played its role in history but new technology is taking the game to another level. You can't stop it - digital is just much more convenient, compact, flexible, bla, bla.

Don't get me wrong: they will still be around as boutique items, for people who just like real amps. There will still be people who will buy them. My point is that the world is going digital and if amp manufacturers want a piece of this cake maybe they should augment their products with digital goods (profiles, maybe license deals, like some do with AmpliTube).

I had no success with this converter (with RME Baby Face pro interface) either - same symptoms as you described. However SPDiF worked for me without issues when connected directly using coax cables into Komplete Audio interface. I declared this converter total garbage and moved on with analog setup (less cables, less power supplies).

In my opinion clock is ticking for "analog" and quite soon "digital" will be the only viable option for most musician (the gap in quality is almost bridged, and prices of digital will be only going down). Analog amps will join other technologies, like vinyl plates, which are reserved for collectors or just someone who would like to add some "vintage vibe" the their lives. This evolution can't be stopped, and happens very often in the world. DRM won't save it. Of course it is sad for vendors of technologies which are in decline but that's how things are progressing.

Kemper started this evolution by offering first true "tone replicating" machine, but it is clear that in a few year all major vendors will have something similar or modeling technology which will be perfectly capable of simulating or even synthesizing arbitrary circuit (Fractal is leading here, but in context of this discussion I don't see major difference between modeling and profiling). If not Kemper - someone else would do it sooner of later. I think the only sane way of rewarding amp manufacturers for their effort is to buy profiles directly from them (or maybe some merchandise). Sadly very few of them opt into this and sell profiles (Victory Amps is one good example - I bought their packs and enjoy them every day - Kraken, V40). Most people in this world are good and I'm sure wouldn't mind spending a few bucks to support their favorite amp builders, if they had opportunity. Why most amp makers don't sell their profiles?

Congrats! For me, too, Kemper was the best gear I've ever purchased. Saved me a ton of money, too. Didn't spend much on any guitar gear since 4 years. The search was over once I got Kemper.
    Actually, that's not 100% true - I bought Stage recently :)

Hope you'll like it. Have fun!

From my conversation with Christoph, he did all of the programming in assembly language.

This is probably true only for DSP part. If you look at crash logs / stack traces and diagnostics files many files are C/C++ headers, many functions are in Access:: namespace (maybe still remembering Virus times?), internally KPA uses sqlite as a storage for presets, profiles (embedded db, written in pure C). And KPA runs on top of some operating system (on ARM-based CPU), with sys calls, which would indicate that there is kernel / user space separation.

My tactic is to never use RM when profiler is in performance mode. I create rigs in RM but I manage performances on device itsef. Sucks a bit but works reliably. I lost a lot of time trying to find a viable solution, all in vain. Filed tickets to support about this RM issue months ago - no solution in sight.

I'd pay $666 for Kemper-Mini which would only have performance mode (a few mini switches to choose slots, + tuner LEDs, small screen to see the name of slot/bank), could only be edited from RM and had MIDI support + expression pedal input - just a small device for gigging. Size of Amplifire 3.