Posts by piotrmaj

Hmmm, as you noticed - performance management via RM is a bit unrelible therefore Undo of such operation would be unreliable, too. At some point both Kemper and RM think their state is up to date but unfortunately this state is different on each (I filed a few months a bug report with screenshots of the mess I was able to get into in less than 60 seconds - no response so far). So I think the right course of action would be to just make performance management relible and deterministic. Undo would be a cherry on top.

Kemper has very gracious return policy (at least in the USA) - 45 days - should be enough to check it out and see if it is your thing.

You are right about commercial profiles - they are hit and miss. I have some packs from MBritt which I love (D-Pack for example) and some which are total disappointment to me (like Driftwood) - but it is really matter of individual taste. Fortunately there is also Rig Exchange and this forum where people are sharing their profiles and many of them are on par with commercial ones, IMHO. And don't forget about Factory Presets, which cover all the usual suspects very well.

Yes, there will be tweaking to your liking, but typically EQ / Definition / Presence solve all issues for me (you'd do this on real amp as well).

I also don't have any real amp and I am using just Kemper for over 4 years, and every single day is a joy. It is amazing piece of gear, gets the job done very well. I even told my wife 4 years ago that this is the last piece of gear I bought in my life. It was apparently a lie... I bought Kemper Stage as well recently. ;)

I'd encourage you to check Kemper out for yourself - you'll either fall in love with it or you will return it - not much risk.

Profiling looks familiar because they most likely are using similar technic - fitting generic model to data. And model needs to "see" a veriety of data the learn. However I suspect that Kemper does it in a very smart way on slower hardware (most likely makes many well educated guesses in terms where it is _not_ worth to vary parameters while fitting) and neural probably employes machine learning fully taking advantage of modern, fast, multicore processors. My guess is they use transfer learning - they may be starting from pretrained neural network modelling generic amp and during profiling just train something small on top of it. In simpler words I suspect Kemper knows what it is doing under the hood, and Neural treats amp as a black box, automatically trained. Two different solutions but essentially same idea. I wonder if there will be any legal battle out of it because this method is patented by Kemper.

anyway those are just my theories - may be off by miles :)

Yeah, it is just a matter of time (and it is shorter timeframe, rather than longer) and all modelers will have something similar to Kemper's profiling. And it will boil down to user experience, ergonomics, required features and personal preference (sound / feel won't be a deciding factor very, very soon). For sure Fractal and NeuralDSP are already able to (re)produce tone accurately, just like Kemper. Fractal still can't do this with just passive cooling. NeuralDSP - I'm not sure if it is passively cooled - anyone knows?

Integrating profiling into NeuralDSP makes it a very interesting option - similar price point, way more effects, modeling (i.e. savings on profiles packs - we all know we spent way too much money on profiles we'll never use :-), smaller form factor - all good stuff for many (majority?) users.

So there is QuadCortex with profiling, Fractal's FM3 dirt cheap (both are audio interfaces as well). the question is: what will Kemper do?

(disclaimer: I'm happy Kemper user for many years and I love it, but it can't be unnoticed that it is competition that is furiously driving innovation in field of guitar preamps / processors - true, some people are not interested in more advanced features, but it is always better to have options, especially if the come for cheaper).

I'm really looking forward to seeing what future will bring. Exciting times!

Well done, Kemper Team! Tested today Acoustic Simulation with PRS S2 and I definitely can use it instead of guitar with piezo. It is quite noisy with PRS (passive pickups), but it is probably my guitar picking up all the high frequencies from environment which are boosted by this effect. Overall I'm happy with it.

tubelube This is ths point of beta software: to find bugs so release version is better. Kemper is a very complex software with hundreds of parameters, many modes of opration. In such system it is very hard to test all possible combinations of changes manually, especially when team is small, and people are upgrading from arbitrary versions. And event automatically it is hard to maintain complete suite of tests for big projects, especially embedded. This software is clearly marked as beta, so problems are kind of expected. If someone wants to help that is great. Discouraging people from checking out beta versions will only make release version weaker.

if you need to have predictable workflow - don't install beta versions! Or check it out on different unit first, if you have opportunity.

And if you are curious what's new and want to help squashing some bugs - make backup, install beta and have fun.

You can look at description I left here, some time ago. It shows how to control volume but similarly you could control other parameters as long as you know their CC numbers. You'll need Kemper Manual - from Download section, where you'll find all necessary #CC parameters.

Morphing can be done by automating Expression CC#11. Wah is CC#1.

Victory Amps and Dr. Z are only the two I'm aware of and I'm also waiting for more manufacturers to do so. I'm sure there are plenty of musicians, who like myself, that will never buy real amp + cab for myriad of reasons but who would be willing to pay directly to original creators of amps to show support for their awesome work.

Legit use case. I'm afraid RM wasn't designed to be used like this (and given issues it has with performance management using it live seems to be walking on a thin ice) but you may consider slightly different approach, which would require some tedious setup work at first but might be better / more stable / less error prone in the end. You could give MainStage a try (if you're on a Mac) and manage your show from there, having connected computer to Kemper via MIDI. So whenever you'd be selecting a song in MainStage it would send appropriate MIDI messages to switch to the right performance. Switching via MIDI is instantaneous and you would not have to touch anything during the show. Additional benefit of using MIDI - you could reconfigure the entire show via MIDI (synths, backing tracks, what have you) with a single click.

Just for the record: read my post with a grain of salt. I have no clue how RM / Kemper work internally. I only draw this conclusions by observing the symptoms and also by excluding possibility of a trivial bugs, as generally I highly regard what CK and his team are doing (and I'm Virus TI user as well) and if the diagnosis / fix was simple they would just release the fix already. Maybe the ultimate solution requires a major architecture changes to the codebase which definitely is not a trivial effort.

By "somewhere between" i didn't mean literally USB connection, but rather I was referring to interplay between RM and hardware - something CarloLf better described as state management (which I have no idea where it is implemented). In the past there was only one source or changes - the Profiler itself. Now we have two sources of changes: RM and Profiler. Things can only be kept in sync if both sides observe same events in the same order. This is clearly not happening, RM and profiler are losing sync - and neither is detecting that the synchronization was lost (this is probably the first thing that should be addressed).

Having access to source code of RM would not change much, in my opinion. You could fix small thing in the UI, but majority of serious issues is somewhere between RM and the hardware itself, and to fix them you'd need access to the code running of units itself which for obvious reasons won't ever be published.

Bugs, which are purely in RM are fixed rather quickly, once reported. Performance management is currently a disaster but I really doubt the issue is in RM itself. That would be easy to track down and fix.

I would go even one step further and remove performance managment from RM (or move it only to beta channel) until it is ready for prime time. RM is great to tweak / load / edit profiles / IRs and it vastly improved my workflow. Once sounds are prepared putting a performance together on the unit is not that hard and works reliably. Not ideal solution but better than chasing bug after bug and falling into frustration.