Posts by piotrmaj

I was concerned at first saving all these backups, presets and rigs would take up a bunch of space then I saw how small they were. Very impressive and well thought out. I heard it was done using MIDI language but I would still think it would have to be a bigger file to hold all the parameters and such. I love that about the Kemper.

One rig is about 6KiB, let's assume that 2KiB is wasted on framing metadata (MIDI headers), profile name, amp name, etc. This gives you 4KiB of data - this allows to encode 1000 parameters with float32 resolution (and I suspect many if not majority parameters don't require float32 but will be just fine with smaller numbers). They may be also applying compression. You can pack a lot information into 4KiB (see demo scene: http://awards.scene.org/archiv…ar=2011&cat=best-4k-intro) :)

yeah, hi pass at ~60 - 75 Hz, low pass ~7-8kHz and a narrow dip ~4.6 - 4.8kHz to remove annoying fizz - are my typical goto settings for recording. Learned this from Tone Wars youtube channel and it really improved the tone I'm getting.

In my opinion, one of the biggest reasons people have a problem with a Kemper 2 comes down to money. They either don't have, or want to spend, the money to upgrade. If a Kemper II were free, very few would object.

are you sure? We are talking about luxury item, without which everyone could live just fine. People who buy Kemper don't have financial worries. They might have money management problems but this is different thing and not specific to Kemper.

Yeah, 100% true - it is not a rocket science - yet happens due to human error (what can you do about it?)... And since there is audio equipment (Yamaha keyboards, for instance) which solved this problem it would be a welcome addition to Profiler, IMHO. I realize that this might be happening on hardware level and might not be fixable in software for current units.

hmm, to be honest, I'm not waiting for it, so it is: all minus one... Appearance of new product on the market did not make my Profiler sound any worse than before and did not remove any feature from it.

The main problem with these comparison videos is that they all apply the same process to both units. They assume that because QC capturing is single step process, it should be the same on Kemper. This is flawed logic: these units are not the same and Kemper offers way more knobs to tweak the sound if profile turned out to be slightly off (which can happen - this is solving for non-linear equation in complex space, some errors may happen). However given that we're living in dumbed down world where everything needs to be single touch, single click and happen magically Kemper's approach doesn't look very appealing, when profile needs some more work. And I guess video showing someone tweaking a profile for 10 minutes would not generate a lot of views... It is easier to show "magic" and contrast it with half baked profile claiming that "it's not quite there".

That being said - QC captures are spot on to my ears and their approach looks magical - which is something refreshing and new. And to be honest I'm a bit surprised that so many people are surprised that NeuralDSP pulled this off :) - Todays CPUs are ultra powerful and code optimized for a specific CPU that exploits all pipelining, out of order execution, caches, NUMA etc. can run extremely fast when put in hands of clever and knowledgable people. Of course you get untweakable capture in the end, but how this is different from people who don't tweak profiles on Kemper but just try another one from the pack until they find what they like?

I love my Profiler every single day and it is quite unlikely that I'll ever switch to anything else - but I can see how QC can look appealing to many - it is on the path to become the most popular unit, IMHO. Not among pro-musician with this version due to some annoying issues - button spacing, wall wart, big touch screen, rotary encoders in buttons you step on with dirty shoes (but pro-musicians might be smaller market than you think, when compared to bedroom and amateur crowd).

So look into code then.

It is encrypted - you'd have to dump flash of already installed firmware. And even this only would give you access to machine code... Too expensive (we'd probably fry a few units before we'd get to the right pins :) ), too time consuming.

There is one aspect of QC which bothers me: combining rotary encoders with foot switches poses some hygienic challenges... I'm not a germaphobe by any means but I do typically turn knobs using my right hand, use pick with my right hand and I tent to hold pick in my mouth when I play with fingers and need a temporary storage for it (as I believe many of you do, too). Now imagine you play in a dive bar and stepped onto something you can only hope was a beer and then you engaged heavenly chorus. Given how long cultivated habits are hard to change I'm afraid I'd have to either wipe the knobs all the time or have shoe covers dedicated to QC... I am genuinely interested how people will solve this aspect in practice.

Just to be clear - I think QC is innovative and great piece of gear and will stir the market for sure. At current level of technology it is less about the sound (there isn't much margin for improvements here, IMHO and numerous blind tests seem to confirm this) and more about workflow, form factor and customer service.

Given your young age

You should go with Stage!

It's like Toaster + remote

Let me finish, on that note.