Posts by metalgodinwaiting

Hey guys,

I've read the manual and done some searches but wanted to be clear on a few things. I am looking at the Mission EP1-KP and it seems that in order to use the switching function, you have to have a TRS and a TS cable each from the pedal to the remote. Which means you can only have a max of two of these connected to the remote? It seems the options are:

2 switched expression pedals or
    1 switched expression and 2 dedicated expression pedals or
    4 dedicated expression pedals

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Welcome Tim!

Yes, make sure you have the latest firmware and updates. No you do not need a special USP stick, just a fresh formatted one, and keep it strictly for the Kemper if you can. Also, do a search on the main forum for "Tutorial for first use by Gianfranco Di Mare". This should get you where you need to be and hopefully fix your "freeze issue".

Hey man, welcome. Just curious what made it come alive? Was there tweaking of individual profiles involved, or was it more a matter of finding the right ones? The reason I ask is my situation is very similar and I'm having a tough time finding realistic sounds. Plasticky is definitely the word here. Glad to see your making progress. Nice work. :thumbup:

Yes, plasticky is exactly the word I used when I returned the Line 6 Helix. Just after that, I got my unpowered Kemper and was getting similar tones and covering them up with the onboard effects. Unacceptable!! I am glad you replied as I have been wanting to post this for a while....I knew it was going to be a long one, so I sure hope this helps you and others.

Anyway, I have learned quite a bit since then: The "Tutorial for first use by Gianfranco Di Mare" (look it up on the forum), hours of study on this forum, the manual and the web. I can tell you that the tones ARE THERE inside the Kemper, it is just that there are so many variables internally and externally that contribute to it including your ear. While this can be cumbersome, at least you have the options to get where you want to be. My first word of advice is to read the manual, believe me, light bulbs will be going off. Then go back and read it again. Most of the answers I see in this forum come with great intentions but are not necessarily complete, so you have to be sure to ask the exact question you are looking for to get the exact answer. Let me explain...

I have spent countless hours between combinations of SS Amps, passive FRFR speakers, tube power amps, traditional guitar cabs, cab sims off/on, and so on. The trick is to find the TYPE OF PROFILE that sounds best with the other gear you are using, what you are willing to compromise and what you are not.

Over the years, I can tell you I have owned 99% of the most advanced processers ever developed for guitar (Yes, I'm keeping my Mesa Stereo 295, GSP 2101 and G-System LOL). I'm a rack guy period, but my point is for me personally, I WILL NOT compromise on my "amp in the room" sound since that is what I have been used to for the past 25 years. However if I can have my cake and eat it too, that goes without saying.

Now, profiles. Your best bet is to sit with the rig exchange, sort the profiles by TYPE such as direct, merged, preamp, etc. (or search for links within the forum for them) that you require based on the amps and speakers you have and start there. One time I was looking through the rig exchange and came across a "preamp profile" of a 68' Plexi. At the time, I was hooked to the Kemper monitor out into one side of my Mesa 295. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Yes, sir it was a 68" Plexi with all of the spank, clarity and balls. Talk about Christmas.

I know the Kemper is intended to be plugged into an powered or passive FRFR or FoH (via main outs) or traditional guitar cab (cab sims off), and I know the whole debacle of "doubling power amps" is redundant. But you know what, I don't give a rats ass. My setup sounds good to me and my listeners, and that my friend is what matters.

My rig now is as simple as this: PRS Custom Floyd > KPA Unpowered Toaster (monitor out cab sims off) > Fryette Power Station v2 > variety of mesa boogies traditional guitar cabs w/ V30's.
    I'm at a 30lb rig instead of 120lbs. As far as profiles go, I try as many as I can get a hold of; and what sounds great stays, what does not gets tossed. This also leaves the stereo main outs for the FoH.

The only flaw I see is that you cannot monitor with this product in stereo with this configuration (but you can with a SS / FRFR solution. That's a whole other thread, hahahaha.

Keep searching, the tones in your head are also in that little green box right in front of you. Enjoy!!!!!

Metalgod

Well.... I went ahead and ordered a used Matrix GT1000FX despite being unbelievably turned off by their staff. I called the USA number to ask some questions and they guy kind of insulted me when I asked if they would be willing to do free shipping if I ordered a new one. The guy was very "British" and arrogant and I got the impression that they don't think very highly of Americans but have no problem taking our money. In fact, he kind of acted like he would be doing me a favor by selling me one in the first place. I was on the fence about going with a Matrix at all after that... A little humility would be nice. :)

How did it go? Did you get your matrix yet? I am curious what you think because I am looking to do the same to power two XiTone Wedges.

Well, there is one thing to be aware of --you'll still need a external Power Amp if you want to go stereo on stage.

The internal power amp only has a mono output. It's one of the few gripes I have with the product.

True, I've actually lost sleep over this flaw, lol. I ended up settling on a non-powered KPA rack version, and I use the monitor out to a Freyette Power Station to a recto 2x12 vertical slant cab with the cab sims off. Then I run the main outs to the FoH. I prefer the sound of the tube amp to a real cab vs. using a solid state stereo amp to my XiTone passive FRFR wedges. But at least I have the option to do whatever the situation calls for. The best setup I have heard was my mesa boogie 295 stereo power amp from the main out (cabs offs) to 2 - 1x12 recto cabs. But it kind of defeats the whole purpose, hahaha

Looks realy nice!! Maby I am replacing my DXR :)

I think that is a great idea from Mission, however its not possible to be less than 20" square. It has a 12' driver so 12x12 = you guessed it. And that's the speaker alone without the cabinet. I would like to see the real dimensions of this product.

Hi All,

just a simple Q: The master output appears to be the only stereo output. Can these be used with/plugged into a stereo (guitar) power amp (obviously with speaker sim off) or is this not recommended.
    If not why not?

Thx in advance!
    M.

Absolutely. Just as Chu said, you have multiple options. When I'm at home, I use the stereo outs into a Mesa Boogie 295 stereo tube power amp with 2-1x12 cabinets. Sounds killer! However, it is not possible to run stereo to the FoH in this manner. Therefore when gigging, I use a Freyette Power Station from the monitor out (cab sim off), which frees up my main stereo outs to the FoH. Massive!!!

Nice to see another Power Station user!

So far my favorite power amp with my Kemper!

Hey guys! Yes, I too have found that using the monitor out to a Tube Power Amp sounds FAR SUPERIOR than running my XiTone cabs with an SS Amp from the main outs with the cab sim on. So I'm currently using the main outs going into a mesa boogie 295 stereo tube power amp (70lbs!). Unfortunately I cannot make use of the "Main outs to the FoH with this, so the Freyette Power Station is the ultimate fix: Monitor out / cab off to Freyette PS to Mesa Boogie Cab with V30's - and also main outs / cabs on to the FoH. AWESOME!!!!!!