Posts by justinburrow

And I turned up the gain on the low profile of the TJ Deluxe 64 Reverb, added a pure boost.

I took a quick listen to all the clips you've posted.

This sounds pretty close to my ears, though it's not quite right - it would absolutely fly for a gig.

I think you're goosing the gain a bit too much though - and while the amp feel/body sounds pretty similar, I think the difference between this and the live clip is probably more related to the cab/mic being used in this profile. Try using this profile, pull the gain back a bit, lock the amp settings, and try scrolling through different cabs to see if anything else gets you closer.

Try a compressor before the amp, and then try it after the amp stack, and see if either of those locations help out. Don't squash it too much - low intensity and squash, high attack, mix maybe somewhere between 60-80% wet. If you have the attack too fast, it's going to strangle that "thwack" you're trying to emphasize.

And... with all the good intentions and love in my heart, please make use of the great tuner that is available on the Kemper. You've got some nasty tuning skronk going on.

When I turn the EQ knobs on the front of my Kemper, I'm expecting the changes to be reflected in what's going to the S/PDIF out, because that's how I'm dialing in the tone I want (in all outputs). Especially when turning EQ knobs for Liquid Profiles.

What you're referring to is changing the EQ settings at the Amplifier section level. That is absolutely reflected in the SPDIF out, as well as any other output (unless it's set to DI in the Output settings). Nothing to be concerned about.

The comment above was talking about Master EQ settings in the Output section, which were removed in an earlier OS.

i wish there was a list of modern amps like mesa mark series,diezel,bogner,prs extc. with what tone stacks that are already exists in the current LP models can be use with what amp that are similar or identical.

I assume that might get sticky in terms of trademarked brand names and IP. You can sometimes find out where to start with a search for info about the amp - the D13 references I pulled came from their own description of the amp on the website, and there's generally some forum discussing how the amp is built somewhere that might have info to use.

Posing this as an honest question - to my understanding, Liquid Profiles provide models of the tone stack and gain structure of different amp archetypes. I know a bit about audio circuit design, and it seems to me that what Kemper has provided already is a pretty comprehensive list of LP models, considering that not every amp model is existence has a unique tone stack or gain structure.

Many are repurposed - Baxandall, James, FMV, etc., or the gain structures of Fender amps with tremolo circuits/bright caps/non-trem inputs, Vox top boost and non-top boost, Marshall jumpered/non-jumpered, etc. A lot of modern amps borrow circuitry from designs that have come before, and change a few values to alter the EQ frequencies or use different ways of biasing tubes to present their unique flavor, so for the purposes of what Liquid models offer, it seems like we can already cover a large scope of the profiled amp landscape.

We've got a lot of the Fender, Marshall, Vox, Mesa variants covered, as well as newer concepts like the Friedman amps. Sure, I'd like to see a Dumble variant or two, and there are those oddball one-offs that I used to like which I wouldn't mind having (Tremoverb Blues channel, Magnatone, Gibson LAB series... I digress) - but I see a lot of interest in Kemper producing more Liquid models for very specific amps that often are pretty close enough to something we already have.

For instance, you could take an existing D13 FTR profile and use the Vox top boost or Fender Bassman Liquid models with it and be pretty square in the ballpark for being able to use the gain and EQ predictably as the physical amp would behave.

That being said, is this too general and broad a view? If we had a thorough library of popular amp gain and EQ topologies, would it be as useful as the demand seems to indicate or would it be splitting hairs that could probably be addressed with other changes elsewhere?

I've been pretty content with slapping a Liquid model of whatever we already have that seems to be the best fit, or addresses some existing problem I find with the profile, but I'm wondering if there's more to what Liquid models are doing on a profile level than I'm understanding.

Only my guitar and the monitors are connected to Kemper) there was interference through my pickups clicking and ticking whenever my PC did anything. It became less as i turned away and moved away from my PC tower but thats kind of a pain when recording twisting and turning all the time haha.

Just FYI, that's a problem regardless of the Kemper. Everyone recording in front of a computer has that issue - some pickups are worse than others at picking up the EMI generated by your computer and accessories that are plugged in. That "noise pivot" maneuver is pretty necessary - you can also look into better shielding in your guitar if you're up for trying to reduce it. I've been fully shielding my pickguard and control cavities with copper tape and being strategic with avoiding ground loops in my wiring just to be on the safe side.

Sometimes, the wiring in your house/studio can make things worse. I recently set up a rig in a very old house that hasn't converted to 3 prong outlets (no ground connection for any cords plugged into the wall), and even with an isolated power supply, anything plugged in via USB caused a really irritating clicking that I only found by systematically unplugging everything until it stopped. This helped for that - https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…el-stereo-hum-eliminator/ - you might consider one if it's really bugging you.

The rig volume is low because i have neighbours. Just to clarify turning the RIG down does not in anyway effect the tone right?

The only thing you've mentioned so far that would make the Kemper volume level a possible factor is your interface - if you're plugging into it and having to turn the Kemper way down because it'll clip otherwise, there's probably some configuration issue that is going to invalidate any confidence in whether you're hearing a problem or not.

Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with your Kemper. I've heard a lot of teeth-grindingly bad profiles, so that might be what you're experiencing, but between your clip and Burkhard 's response, I think there's cause for doing some more tests to isolate the problem.

I'll try to offer some context on what I think he was pointing to.

The "r mode" reference I believe was to your Clarett that you mention "...But this problem also happens when using my Focusrite Clarett 4pre." The "Air" mode, perhaps? I don't know about a 12db boost at 4khz, but it would have a high shelf boost somewhere in the upper bands and I could see that not being a good thing for a modeled guitar signal.

He quotes from the UA website: "A microphone is typically connected with an XLR connector, and an instrument or line level signal is connected with a ¼” (6.35 mm) TS or TRS plug. Preamp gain and impedance automatically adjusts for line or mic signals, based on whether the plug is XLR or ¼”, along with the state of the INST button.

Press the INST button to toggle the impedance and gain of the line input to accommodate a Hi-Z instrument, such as an electric guitar or bass."

You mention "Main output on Kemper set to Master Mono. Main volume -20 rig volume at 0.0."

dmatthews suggests this from the Kemper manual: "Whenever the device (e.g. mixing desk or audio interface) connected to the MAIN OUTPUT XLR or TS jacks indicates too much level coming from the PROFILER, or there is the need to set the Main Output Volume to less than -12 dB, then activate the Main Output Pad to reduce the signal level of the Main Output by 12 dB. This increases the range of the Main Output Volume control and preserves the signal-to-noise ratio of the Main Output."

To me, all of this sounds like you've got something going on between the Kemper and your interface where you're getting a hotter signal than you should, seeing as you're dropping it -20db. Using an XLR cable into the UA would activate the mic preamps based on the info above, and apply a boost to your signal that it shouldn't need, which would cause you to go into the Kemper and drop that Main Output signal to stop from clipping. If that's what's happening, you're not getting an ideal version of the signal into your computer and it rules out being able to test anything with any confidence moving forward.

Have you tried the following?

- Activate the Main Output Pad on the Kemper so that you're not having to drop the signal so much at the Main Output - it shouldn't need to go below -12db if the Main Output pad is on and there isn't some other strange boost happening elsewhere.

- Use a 1/4" TS cable into your UA. Check all of your preamp settings on the UA for any boost or volume increase. Turn off any compressors that might be on, vintage preamp mode, anything besides just getting the signal into your computer at a level that seems to be in line with what the documentation expects.

As far as the noise you're reporting, I didn't hear it in your first clip, but I did hear a weird "whistling" on the sustained notes. Not sure what this is, but it sounds like pickups that are too close to the strings... but you just got your guitar back from a setup. If your Solar has those Fluence pickups, would it be related to the battery? Can you replicate with a passive guitar?

Later, you mention noise after turning on your computer and possibly being related to being close to it or what angle you're facing the computer at. This definitely could be related to your interface boosting the signal from the Kemper or adding compression, raising the signal to noise floor. It advertises functions relating to both these things, so I would make sure to rule out anything here too.

It seems like your dry signal recording has been verified by Kemper support, which would make me hesitant to incur any shipping costs for service or replacement - I think the problem is between the Kemper and the computer, OR you have profiles that you don't particularly like.

Hope that was helpful to some degree and that your problems get resolved soon!

I updated to OS 10.13.5 yesterday, and Rig Manager, which was previously working just fine, now refuses to see my Profiler.

Initially I was getting the "You need to allow the Rig Manager extension in Security and Privacy" with no option to do so.

In another thread, someone mentioned deleting all files and reinstalling.

I deleted the .kext out of /Library/Extensions, and now any time I try to reinstall, it doesn't add that extension back.

Help?