Posts by Defendant

Great news!

I just got the Jube and CAE packs and was lamenting no direct/merged option for cab use.

I've got the Fish and Matchy as well. All fantastic stuff. Keep going!

Hi everyone,

I've had my toaster for the better part of six months, and overall I'd been very unimpressed. The issue was a lack of presence to the sounds, made even worse when tracking.

But I resisted selling it mainly because so many good, experienced players get great results on records, tours, youtube etc. Basically I thought: it must be me that's the problem. I've recorded a lot, made records and done session work for TVCs, but I'm pretty inexperienced at working unassisted: always had an engineer to lean on.

I looked all over for solutions and had resorted to weird workarounds like direct profiles and IRs in Logic.

Then I had an unintended breakthrough:

My wife bought me a new imac for my birthday, for the purpose of replacing my four year old Macbook pro in my recording setup. Completely out of the blue.

I set up the imac, loaded up logic and rig manager, set up my UA Apollo and plugged in my Kemper. BAM. Everything is great. No blanket over the sounds.

Basically there must have been some changed setting on my Macbook, logic or UAD console I couldn't find. Someone who knows that stuff backwards would probably have been able to spot it, but I couldn't.

I push the global EQ presence a bit and still find the MBritt stuff a touch warm, but there are loads of profiles that sound awesome.

It's a hell of a relief. Very glad I stuck with it. I love amps, and the Kemper is an amp nerd's dream.

Thanks!
    I spotted purecab last night. I've got it set high as well.

Definition -I find that quite subtle. But I'll definitely experiment with that alongside the main output eq to see what works best.

Thing that's great about the output eq is it lifts all the profiles out of the murkiness.

It's funny -I've persisted with the Kemper because I'm fairly certain it's user inexperience on my part and I know so many other great players get great results.
    But honestly if I heard my Kemper in a shop without tweaking it the way I have I'd be rating it alongside first generation modeling gear.

Hi all,

I'm several months into owning an unpowered toaster, admittedly with not much time to experiment. Main purpose is for direct recording into an Apollo Twin and imac running Logic to Adam F5s.

For the longest time I've been wondering if there's something wrong with my Kemper or it's setup -pretty much every profile I tried (including a bunch from MBritt, TAF and TopJimi) sounded on the dark side of murky, even with a lot of cab swapping. I'd resorted to finding direct profiles and loading an ownhammer ir in logic to get something usable. Workable but I'd have to use cabmaker to get everything in the box.

Finally I experimented with the main output eq (yes I'm slow at all this). I found that pushing the treble a touch and the presence to around 3 o'clock got everything into the realm of being usable. Finally! Breakthrough!

My question:

Is this common for users to do?
    Or could there be another thing somewhere in the Kemper that's bringing the murk prior ro the main output eq?

I think you miss the point. A merged profile is a studio and DI profile put together to separate the cabinet element. To add an IR, I would just use a DI profile and then format the IR for the Kemper

Right, I did read that I can load an IR into the Kemper. I'll definitely look at adding IRs to direct profiles in future,

My main intention right now is getting more direct profiles, or merged ones, if they can be used like a direct profile. Don't mind that my process is a touch convoluted right now as i'm just trying to find something I like in this box.

Hi everyone,

Still battling away with my Kemper. Back with more noob questions.

I've found that I really like the combination of direct profiles and ownhammer profiles loaded in Logic -as good as any real amp I've recorded. Basically this is what I expected out of the Kemper. Breakthrough!

A question: Is a merged profile able to be a direct profile (I know they have a direct component) if the cab is turned off? -BTW I've found regular profiles with the cab off to be disappointing with IRs.

Another question: I've looked around and found some commercial providers of direct profiles. Most focus on metal amps. Are there any suppliers of more vintage amps?

thanks!

I think mbritt's stuff is pretty dark overall (many agree, many disagree). You can also use cabs from other profiles and see if that improves stuff. Go through the factory content maybe :)

Oh, and welcome! :)

I was wondering if that was the case. I've removed most factory content as part of reloading profiles after the reset, so I'll revisit them. Thanks!

You can use the cabmaker software to get the IR into the Kemper.
    Check different profiles and see if you like one, lock the cab and use it on other profiles.

Interesting! will look into it.

See if pure cab in the output section is switched on or off.
    You might want to have it switched off.

Thanks for the reply!

Just turned it down and it's better than having it up, but still not as good as switching a cab off and using an IR.

I just dialed back a slight presence push I had on the output eq and the Kemper is sounding killer with IRs and no cabs on.

Though it would be nice to get the same results all in the box...

Hi everyone,

Recent Kemper purchaser here. Home recording is the main planned usage: Kemper - Apollo Twin - Mac.

I've been struggling with mine to be honest -it's been sounding very wooly and muffled in the top end.

I've loaded up MBritt profiles, done a factory reset, check my connections -still nothing. Then on a hunch I turned off the cab section of a profile and loaded up an ownhammer IR using Two Notes Wall of Sound in Logic.

Suddenly all the presence and top end goodness is there! Perhaps a tad too much but still miles better than with the cab on on the Kemper and overall exactly what I was expecting from the Kemper. All the models sound killer.

So, my question is: Is there some kind of overall setting for cabs that makes them sound dark?

Hi all,

My name is Martin and I'm the proud owner of a dark green toaster.

30 years playing experience covering albums, touring and sessions in most styles. Mostly rock/funk/soul/r&b. these days I do the occasional session, mostly for TV commercials.

Early days but incredibly impressed. I'm an amp nerd and boutique/custom build owner, so I love the sheer variety of what's available for this unit.

If anyone has great tips for beginner tutorials for using this thing please chime in.

thanks!