Posts by thrashinbatman

It's sad that Line 6 doesn't listen to customer feedback. I had bought one of the earlier models (G30 I think) about 2 years ago (maybe longer) and the battery door was a problem back then. I had to tape it shut and finally bought a pouch to eliminate the batteries from falling out onto the stage. How can you continue to sell a product with such a basic flaw??????

Their transmitters have been an issue for a while. The belt clips on them are a joke, to be honest. I keep mine in a pouch, seems to be the best solution honestly.

Yeah, the cab section has an immense effect on the tone. Removing that probably removes all that you like about the profile. If you're doing Studio profiles, it'll probably sound weird as it's basically just guessing what the amp is and what the cab is. Try some DI profiles and see where that gets you.

Yeah, no way I'd go back to tube amps. I got an Engl Savage, and that thing weighs at least 50 pounds. In order to get all of the functionality out of the amp I can get out of the Kemper, I'd have to bring either a pedalboard or a giant ass rack to put everything in that would make it weigh even more. I'd much rather use my powered Kemper in a 4u rack that weighs like 30 pounds tops with everything I could ever need inside.

Would there ever be a reason to put a gate in the post Effects section?

My main rhythm tone is pretty high-gain, and without gating it's a noisy disaster. I run a gate in front that does most of the work, but I also run one in the post section to do a little bit more cleaning up, but it's primarily there to make sure that I get absolutely no feedback unless I want it. I find that just the gate in front isn't totally sufficient. I see it like running a physical gate like the G-String or Zuul, where they run both in front and in the loop.

It really just depends. The design of each caters to a particular type of guitarist. You can sort of see how a device that promises to faithfully recreate any specific tone you give it would appeal more to people with a lot of tube heads. That's the reason I use it; I can use my Savage 120 or whatever amp, get a cool tone, and then profile it and use it for further recording or live. The AxeFX models amps, so you get total control over a virtual version of a set of amps, which would appeal more to people without a lot of heads (although there is overlap between each group). That being said, the Kemper is wonderful for studio use as well in it's own right, hell, since it isn't limited by it's amp sims. you in theory have a far larger tonal palette to work with. Tons of bands have tracked with Kempers, probably more than any of us realize. Here's a song by one of my favorite bands, for instance, tracked entirely with a Kemper:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Absolutely! That would be my ideal scenario. I'd love to leave one screwed into the rack on my desk at home, and have another in a case that gets used live. I get tired of unplugging all the stuff for it to take it to practice or shows. I think it'll be a bit easier when I get my power rack and remote. That'll let me size down the rack, but it still isn't as efficient as just having two.

IMO there's little downside to getting the powered Kemper. It's exactly the same as an unpowered Kemper, save for the power amp. So with the same amount of space and resources you could drive two cabs instead of just one, or a powered + unpowered FRFR if that's more your thing.

Got some stuff I'm offloading. I'm switching to a powered Kemper for convenience's sake, and I don't need this stuff now, I suppose.

FS: Unpowered Kemper rack $1450 OBO

For sale is my unpowered Kemper rack. In great condition, maybe a bit of rack rash but nothing serious. Selling because I'm switching to a powered rack. Will come with an assortment of Choptones, SinMix, MBritt, and ReampZone profiles.

ISP Stealth $250

In good condition, perfect working order. Comes with rack ears and screws. Gets plenty loud, and is super clear and punchy. Comes with the rack ears and all necessary screws.

Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp $300 OBO

My old Peavey Classic 50/50 tube power amp. It's got the same EL84's it came with when I bought it last year, but it's in solid condition. Sounds good. I stopped using it just because it's fairly heavy.

Awesome, that makes it a very useful feature.

As far as presets go, I`ve only had the thing for a few days now. I`m positive there is a way to do what I want, I just haven`t come across it yet. What I want is to have my clean tone, rock rhythm tone, heavy rhythm tone, and lead tone (with various stomps), plus my more experimental Buckethead-esque sounds in one place so that I can just tap a footswitch for each. I`m guessing I`d do it in performance mode. I`m sure once I get more familiar with the Kemper it`ll get more intuitive.

Yeah, go to performance mode, and put each rig in a separate slot. My main performance consists of a rhythm tone, lead tone, clean tone, and then two duplicates of the lead rig with different harmonies. They both, as well as the clean tone, rely on Morph to work. One goes between no harmony at all and a 5th harmony, the no harmony part being slightly lower in volume so I can use it for lead lines meant to blend in versus my solos, and the other that I can Morph between an octave up and octave down harmony, which gets used like one or twice in the set. The clean also Morphs to an octave up harmony, which gets used in like one song, but it's still useful.

Get a MIDI controller. The MIDI Mongoose is small and compact, and has 5 patches at a time, which lines up with Kemper performances. Set up your performances the way you like, and then use the controller to switch among the rigs. You shouldn't need to do any programming unless you have specific CC values you want to control, like volume, wah, etc.

It's possible you'll clip the A/D converter, which tube amps don't have. But it's easy to check? Do you get a normal sound if you reduce the signal level that goes to the Kemper?

I'm not sure, and to be honest I'm not positive I'll have a way to check. I didn't save the profile showcased in that clip, and a later profile I made (with the same input settings, mind) didn't have this issue. It is an interesting question I'll try to explore further though. I can't remember what guitar I used for this profiling session, but one never goes past green on the input LED, and the other sometimes dips into yellow or red (on really hard palm-mutes, though I haven't noticed it as much recently). In the coming days I may tinker with this idea,

Have you checked that you're feeding the Kemper the same signal level as the real amp when reamping? To me it sounds like you're clipping the input of the Kemper on your comparison clip.

When I recorded that clip, it was in the comparison stage of the Profiling mode. The transition you hear is me switching the button manually. Unless I'm wrong, I don't see how I could have clipped the input of the Kemper without also having clipped the input of the Savage given that the Kemper was inbetween the amp and the guitar. If it was something to do with an input issue, it should have affected the amp as well, shouldn't it?

I believe the Kemper is the first clip, real amp the second. This was recorded in the pre-refining stage of profiling, so it's the exact same signal chain between the two. If it was the cable then you should be able to hear it in both clips. Also, like I said, one I took the TS9 out of the chain I got one that was at least 95% there, close enough I was satisfied without even tracking a clip to compare them.

It is possible, but I'm doubtful that's the answer.

I took a whole bunch, actually, here's one that demonstrates my point the best:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1m6VYkKRZwE

Upon another listen, a lot of them are closer than I remember, but there's still a noticeable difference. Note that I didn't take any comparison clips of the final profile, because it was so close immediately that I didn't feel the need to record a comparison clip. A common thread across the board of the clips was exaggerated low end and a bit of fartiness in the palm mutes that didn't exist in the raw amp clips.

So I decided to do some profiling today, hooking up my Engl Savage to recreate a tone for an EP I recently tracked. I made a profile during the reamping sessions, but I found upon later playing that it wasn't accurate at all. I did enough note-taking to recreate it, and I ran into similar problems. Even though I know the Kemper has trouble with the Tube Screamer, I plugged my TS9 in anyway just to see if I could sneak it by. Multiple profiling attempts ended in having distinctly different profiles, to my disappointment. Even turning it off seemed to not help. Frustrated, I unplugged the TS9 totally, and got a profile that at the very least was similar enough to satisfy me.

Now, my question is, does the TS9 impact the Kemper even without being on? Does simply having it in the chain throw it off enough to result in bad profiling? I've had the worst luck with profiling for a while now, and this time was the first instance since I first got it that I made profiles that were satisfactory enough. (I was so frustrated I had thoughts of selling it, but I hung on simply because if guys like Sneap, Lasse, or the Exodus guys approve of the Kemper clearly the issue is with me).