Posts by motochick

Greetings Ladies and Gents,
    I was curious if anyone knew what effect David Gilmour is using on the Animals track "Pigs(Three Different Ones)", specifically the solo. There's a part where it almost sounds like a Heil Talkbox (around the 5 minute mark), but a bit synthetic for that. Is there any Kemper effect that can give that sort of effect?
    Thanks,
    Jen
    Keep On Rockin In The Free World :thumbup:

I've only done one profile of my AC15H1TV . Though I'm partial because it's mine, It's a great Rock n' Roll amp.

Search for AC15 Heritage author: Jen

It is the EF86 channel and is quite usable from clean to dirty.

Rock On,
    Jen :thumbup:

Sitar Sound
    Often, for me, the remedy is to put a small piece of paper folded once under that string in the nut groove, under the string, on the High E and see if the sitar ringing stops. If so, that means the nut is sized too large for that string. Doesn't look pretty but works. I once saw a pro players guitar that had this done to it and laughed knowing immediately why. I usually have a bone nut made by my luthier and that fixes it, haha. If it's a keeper. Your's doesn't sound like a keeper.

Thanks for the tip!!
    That identified the problem. The nut is cut too wide for the High E.

I suppose I could keep it and only play "Signed Sealed and Delivered" or "It ain't over till it's over"

:thumbup:

Yeah the neck is too much of a mess for me to spend any more time with. I removed the strings, did a setup including polish frets with steel wool, turned the truss rod a bit in each direction to loosen it up and once back together same problem. It just doesn't feel right, the high E string also has a "Sitar" sound when open. I took a look at the nut and made sure it was smooth and lubricated and it didn't help. As far as the relief, I thought if the neck is true, when you Capo the 1st fret and hold the last fret you basically have a straight line down the neck without saddles or nut interference, if the relief is off quite a bit from low string to the high one, something must be weird, either Neck twisted or fret issues.

Every guitar I have from $100 Chinese Les Paul copy to the Fender Tele Elite have similar distances on each side of the neck. I really like the look, the hardware is solid, and Pups sound nice(seems like the same in the USA models) that I'm going to give Musicians Friend another chance. I've never purchased a guitar from them (usually Sweetwater) but they are the only major retailer that carries G&L. X(

You are a VERY patient man! :)

Hi Michael (I changed my Avatar so you can see I'm a "chick" ) :D

So I had the "unboxing". Here's some pics

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70005554/guitars/ASAT/IMAG0394.jpg][Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70005554/guitars/ASAT/IMAG0395.jpg][Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70005554/guitars/ASAT/IMAG0396.jpg]

The guitar looks nice (it's heavy). Just playing around with the controls through a clean amp, sounds nice, like a Tele but a little hotter pups.

Only concern is the neck. It says it's supposed to be a "satin finish" but it feels like it's unfinished. The frets need polishing also.

I need to inspect more because I hope the neck isn't warped. The relief is low on the high side and high on the low side ?(

Cheers,
    Jen

I love the pink paisley one! Harry's Guitar shop here in Raleigh had one sitting around for a year. I would pick it up and play it, but was afraid (as a guy) to buy a pink guitar, haha. Well, once day I though "Life is too short to have stupid hang-ups about gender" especially since Brad plays one, right? so I decided to buy it. I call up and my fav luthier says a woman from Greensboro just came and bought it. I'm like "haha, that's funny, no I'll be there in 10m" and he goes "no, I'm not joking, a woman called and drove from Greensboro to come and get that guitar and just bought it a few minutes ago."

Don't want to get you in trouble :P but I found these on Sweetwater..
    Good price (that's close to what I paid for the 2002) and it doesn't say if they are made in Japan, but the specs are the same as mine Vintage neck and all.

-Jen

You guys hurt my brain.

I'd just buy a damned new one and solder it in for all this theory and wondering, lol. (well, I DO like excuses to solder tho)

Yeah, but all the hard work is done for you :D .

Meter your resistance as you sweep your volume pot. This will tell you if it's log or linear. Use the max resistance to calculate the value in seconds. Done!

Like cenzo said, it usually ISN'T the pot that's the problem (unless it's scratchy).

Good to know it's probably not the Pot that would affect the tone. I've just had so many problems with this project that I need to start from scratch and check every component.

I'm a geek so THANKS for all the schematics and stuff. I have 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone and 3 way switch in this guitar, I was wondering if I put a thin piece of paper in the switch contacts, Would it disable the connection to the pickup and I could check the Pot?

Rock On,

I love the pink paisley one! Harry's Guitar shop here in Raleigh had one sitting around for a year. I would pick it up and play it, but was afraid (as a guy) to buy a pink guitar, haha. Well, once day I though "Life is too short to have stupid hang-ups about gender" especially since Brad plays one, right? so I decided to buy it. I call up and my fav luthier says a woman from Greensboro just came and bought it. I'm like "haha, that's funny, no I'll be there in 10m" and he goes "no, I'm not joking, a woman called and drove from Greensboro to come and get that guitar and just bought it a few minutes ago."
    You snooze, you lose! ;)

I like the natural wood one, good pick. Are you going to branch out to ASAT or even a super-tele like an Anderson one day? I only have a 52 RI form '98 which has Alnico V's in it and it's a beast. (the newer RI's have Alnico III's and are too tame IMO)

Bummer about the Pink Paisley. Sometimes things aren't meant to be, plenty of them on Reverb or Ebay.

I'm not much of a fan of Brad Paisley's music but much respect for his playing. I go further back to Scotty Moore, James Burton, and Vince Gill style "chicken pickin". I think these guitars were put out in the hippie days when CBS wanted to sell more Tele's so they made them flowery (they have a cool looking Blue one also). James Burton played one for a long time. I really like the sound of a Basswood Tele (it's lighter also), stock bridge pickup sounds great, replaced neck pup because it was dead sounding.

I believe the G&L I ordered is called a ASAT vintage, not sure what it stands for but I heard "A Sweet Ass Tele" :P
    I've heard so many good things about the quality of G&L guitars for the price and at $350 I couldn't resist. We'll see how it plays ?(

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…005554/guitars/GLASAT.PNG]link

Bought another Telecaster...I really didn't NEED one but I figure if the worlds gonna end soon I want to die with a lot of guitars.
    Ever since I played my friends Dad's 70's Glossy Natural finish Tele when I was little, I've always wanted that finish.

Here's the rest of the family..
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…5554/guitars/IMAG0135.jpg][Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…5554/guitars/IMAG0275.jpg]

Is there a way to check the value of your Volume Pot with it still in your guitar?

I've had some "tone" issues with a guitar and have swapped pickups and still not happy. I'm not sure if I changed the cheap pots that were in the guitar. I know how to check value out of the guitar (2 outer lugs).

Thanks,
    Jen

Great profile. Love to hear more from this amp, if you find the time.

I have a NEW profile on the RE that is a Jump between EF86 and Top Boost Channel.
    Like the first one, the gain has quite a usable range. Turn it down for a classic clean.

Here is a LINK if you can't find it on the RE.

Rock On

hi, good profile yes. thanks. would you profile more? How is the clean of this amp?

Just turn down the gain. The clean is fairly accurate for this Channel 1 EF86 profile.
    This is not the Top Boost Channel which has a smoother clean.
    I will upload one of them soon.

I finished pulling out the Burstbucker Pro's and putting in the GFS Classic Alnico II's I had laying around. It's amazing how Pickups can sound like crap in one guitar and be the perfect fit with another.

I'll preface this by saying this is by no means an advertisement for GFS pickups, I've purchased some "duds" from them also.
    I'm very happy with the results! The tone is exactly what I was looking for and the "coil-split" is actually usable! The Burstbucker's Single Coil's level was way too low to be usable.

I'm even getting used to the new look with all black pups instead of the Zebra.

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70005554/guitars/GFSAlnicoII.jpg]

Here's a sample of some of the various tones (pardon the sloppy playing)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.