Posts by johnnypig

Hi,

I've also had the Kemper lock up reading or formatting a USB stick. A Power cycle does fix it for me. As for Rig Manager issues, I haven't had any but I'm sure it exists.

I don't know your amp tastes but my current favorites are Live Ready https://livereadysound.com/ specifically the '79 2204, and Nick K's https://nickkprofiles.bigcartel.com/ JMP.

It took me awhile to adjust to having to buy 3rd party profiles but that is the nature of the beast . There's incredible amps on the Rig Exchange like Feck's 3Monkeys Orangutan but it has grown so large with no curation that it would take days or weeks to go through. After an hour searching my ears are tired and I don't want to play.

I hope you can find some inspiring sounds like I have, though I understand it's a pretty huge search with Kemper. It is far from plug n' play to really get /that/ sound in your head. Once you do it's entirely worth it!

p.s. the lack of an official editor over USB REALLY sucks! Almost a no go return for me when I first got it but the sounds are so good.

How did you measure? As you can see I recorded parallel 4 destination tracks from one source track (KPA bypassed via Direct Out, Main Out, SPDIF Git & Stack). Imho the type of audio interface makes no difference, because it can never know about the latency an external device adds and automatically compensate for that.

Just using the RTL utility from http://www.oblique-audio.com/free/rtlutility

Since USB itself is a dynamic latency RTL utility should be fine for Focusrite interfaces. I didn't bother adjusting sample offsets in Reaper since I wouldn't likely use software monitoring with the Kemper. It's also handy for figuring out hidden buffers which mess up Reaper's latency calculation.

The Apollo being thunderbolt 3 doesn't have the same problems with dynamic latency since it's basically external PCIe and you can also disable it's default 64 sample hidden buffer. Of course for the cost of this dang thing it better not have all those little annoyances.

Constant latency adds latency like plugin delay compensation does in most DAWs. So for instance the pitch effects add a latency of a few mS. Enabling constant latency makes it so you don't feel that latency hit.

Just disable it. I get roughly 3mS with constant latency disabled measured with both a Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB via spdif and a UA Apollo x6 spdif.

Since the Kemper's spdif update there's no reason not to use spdif if your interface has it. The only minor annoyance is setting your interface to clock from the Kemper. Sound wise with good preamp/line inputs like the Clarett and Apollo there's no audible difference vs. spdif, but you shave a couple mS off the round trip.

Hi, I use a Suhr Classic Pro HSS as my main guitar. The noise cancelling dummy coil SSCII or whatever really works! If you're in an electrically noisy room, the single coils will be quieter than the humbucker. I suspect it's the same thing as Music Man guitars use. Anyway, great guitar, stainless frets, factory plek.

Overall it's basically a Fender Custom Shop guitar for quite a lot less new and stainless frets. The cavity on mine was routed for HSH so I ordered a new pickguard and put in Thornbuckers. They aren't amazing in this guitar though. The neck pickup is quite boomy. The bridge is nice though. I recommend the Thornbucker+ bridge as an upgrade to the SSH stock humbucker which is a little boring.

Right now I have a set of Fluence Devin Townsend pickups in, which have a modern active mode and a more or less Tele mode. It seems to cover most everything with the Kemper. Overall they match very, very well with the alder/maple flavor on the Classic Pro.

What else can I tell you? Oh right, the vintage bent saddles on the Gotoh bridge tend to "ping" with anything hotter than classic rock distortion, so I replaced them with modern saddles. Staggered tuners so no string trees... The nut was cut a bit high for me so I had that taken down. With the compound radius and plek you can get the action ridiculously low but just as clean as higher.

Lastly, Suhr guitars are EXTREMELY resonant. It will take some getting used to with left and right hand muting. I've never played a guitar that wants to be heard as much as this one.

Okay having played with Mattfig's BE100 for an hour or so, here's my honest review:

It rocks. All the growl and bite is there. I'm sure with a loud setup there would be plenty of pants flap but I'm only using 5" Tannoy monitors.

My favorite profiles would be HG HBE FatSat and MG JCM which have a good range of gain for rhythm and lead with my Suhr Classic Pro.

If I had to find a criticism it would be that the higher gain profiles hiss quite a bit and I have no idea how some high gain profiles I've found elsewhere are more quiet. It's not a deal breaker since the noise gate in Kemper is pretty great.

To sum up, this is a very fun amp profile pack and everyone should buy it.

Thanks Mattfig!