Posts by Durwin99

I love this idea, I have an Arduino that I've not got around to using yet but also have multiple Raspberry Pis, and a whole load of electronics parts left over from a book-based course and an amp build. I've never thought of controlling MIDI through something like this but will definitely give it a go now! Where did you get the initial design if I may ask?

I have a Zoom U44 that works well with iOS, has digital in/outs & MIDI as well, battery/USB/mains power options are also very handy. Though looking at today's prices, I paid less than half of what it's going for (bought 2 or 3 years ago)... There are many iOS-compatible interfaces around though, if you're searching the internet, try to find a device roundup that is recent and I'd say avoid devices that use a proprietary/fixed connector (like Lightning) & stick to regular USB because you'll get the best compatibility with iPad/pro and iPhone. If you're solely using it for iOS, try to find one that does not rely on PC software to configure it (eg most of the Focusrite interfaces are configured from PC only)

I have an app called AUM from Kymatica which is an iOS mixer amongst other things, supports IAA (Inter App Audio) which means in GarageBand I would use I think the "External Input - IAA" and use AUM to send the relevant input from my hardware (Focusrite 18i8 or Zoom U44) to a bus output, which then goes to GarageBand. Not sure if there is an easier method...

I have no idea how that sticks works but nice to hear that it actually does work. Might be a good tip for people who want an easy start!

I've had a quick look at the Jamulus website, the "stick" version I believe is just a file you download which you "burn" or write onto a USB stick using some software like Rufus or Etcher. What that gives you is an operating-system-on-a-stick, you boot your computer from that USB stick and it loads a fully functioning Linux environment that is set up for Jamulus already (it's based on Ubuntu Studio and probably features a low-latency Linux kernel). It should mean you get an optimised operating system for Jamulus and can get straight on with connecting & playing, so long as your computer & hardware meet the requirements, and you don't have to do anything in your regular OS to make it work. It's called a "Live Linux" setup, you don't install anything, you don't mess with your existing OS, when you're done you just remove the stick, reboot and your computer is back to normal. It's a common method for trying out Linux before going for a full install.

(note: I have no experience with Jamulus !)

Thanks for the information, I had the same problem today after updating Rig Manager to 3.0.145 (and Profiler to 8.0.5). This and other threads pointed me to the Windows "Device Manager" (found in the old-school Control Panel, I don't know another way to get to it?) and sure enough, the Profiler had a "?" next to it, so I right-clicked it and selected "Update Driver" and when asked where to update from, I selected the C:\Program Files\Kemper Amps\Driver" folder and - thankfully - it installed OK and I could see my Profiler again.

Hope this thread helps others too...

(FWIW, my daily OS is Linux, I only use Win10 for Kemper & 1 or 2 games...)

So, I think you will have the same problem with the gen3 model as with earlier ones - if you set the SPDIF on the interface to work with the Kemper (ie set to external clock) then when the Kemper is not connected or not powered on, the interface will not pass through any sound - so it will only work as a mixer if the Kemper is on. To change the SPDIF setting, you need to connect USB to a computer and open the Focusrite Control software to switch it to internal SPDIF. If that isn't a problem for you, then great. Otherwise, yes, you could connect the Kemper to the line inputs on the back, you will still have 2 other line inputs and the 2 front inputs available. When/if you want to re-amp, then you can use SPDIF & switch the interface to external for that session.

I don't know if all interfaces work like this ... ?

Sorry, I don't know about the 3rd gen models, perhaps Focusrite have changed the internals to fix this. If you haven't bought yet, I'd suggest sending them a question about it from their website (Support->Contact Support), keep the question simple and they should get back to you. It's a holiday weekend here in the UK so I don't think they will answer before Tuesday though...

Yes that's right. I had the earlier iRig HD (simple guitar in, USB out, gain control) and it functioned well, though the gain button was recessed too much & tricky to use. The V2 model looks a lot more useful for connections and iOS devices without headphone jacks. Looks like it's the same as the original in that it is powered by the iPad/iPhone so no power cable needed and it should come with the USB cables you need (but check, I don't see a USB-C cable so you may need a USB or MicroUSB to USB-C cable)

Nice that it also comes with a full version of AmpliTube, a fairly good sounding amp sim on iOS - I only have the free version with a couple of amps. There are other sims out there for iOS - Tonestack, BIAS amp, Bias FX, AmpKit being some. And as you point out, GarageBand has some amps of its own...

Do you need a "modelling interface"? This is a Kemper forum after all... If you have a Kemper, you just need a USB audio interface to get the audio from Kemper to iPad. If your iPad Pro is USB-C you'll likely need a converter for USB-C to USB-A to get the interface connected. So long as you get a "Class compliant" (I think it is, means should work with Apple devices) interface then it'll just work with iPad - I think some line6 devices can be problematic with iPad, not sure why!

I've had great service from a Zoom U-44, there is a 2-port version U-24, try to find it on a deal. Can be powered by USB, battery or mains and has digital ins/outs as well. If you get frustrated with GarageBand on iPad, there are other DAWS you can research, e.g. Auria Pro, Cubasis, Audio Evolution, various "Multitrack" apps...

If you're still set on a modelling interface, sorry I have no idea - I've never come across the UX2 before today!

I watched the Rocksmith video, as I have that on my PC; to be fair to the "game", he jumped into it without understanding anything about how it works (colour of each string, difficulty, how the mini games work etc) so it makes sense he couldn't just jump into it like Guitar Hero. And he kept pointing out the tuning screen - well duh, if you play multiple songs in different tunings, you need to change the tuning on your guitar! It only shows that screen when the tuning changes... Having said all that, the "game" is fairly unforgiving - e.g. if you don't strike all the strings for a chord or if a string (or your fretting pressure) causes notes to be slightly out of tune. Plus you can only use the supplied guitar Jack-USB adapter for input, pretty dumb restriction.

The stock amp/pedal sims aren't very good either; this is where I love using my Kemper - I plug the Rocksmith cable into the monitor out, feed the main outs to an interface, pick a decent rig and mute the game's guitar sound. PC sound goes into interface through SPDIF. It's all good 8)

I think the iPad Pro audio options will be the same as any other modern iPad, you'll just need a USB-C cable and a class-compliant USB interface. Some discussion can be found here: Record SPDIF to iOS

I'm sorry I keep bringing this up but the Scarlett range of interfaces from Focusrite have an issue: if the SPDIF sync source is set to external (needed for SPDIF connection to Kemper toaster & rack I think) then they will not route any analogue audio if that SPDIF master (e.g. Kemper) is not connected and switched on. Maybe they've fixed this now in gen3 models, I don't know. But given you have to find a PC or Mac to change the SPDIF sync source for the interface, it's a pain if your focus is iOS. I'm personally happy to use the analogue connections to my Kemper to get around this, I don't really notice the difference.

Apple's Garageband is free on iPad; if you want to use your interface as a mixer, I recommend AUM from Kymatica for a study on efficient app design! They also do a sound management app called Audioshare that works nicely with AUM. For more heavy duty recording, there are a few DAWs other than GB on iOS, the better known ones being Auria Pro and Cubasis. You will probably find more useful information about these and more on the Audiobus website, though its quite an electronic-music-centred forum... These DAWs all cost up-front (no free demos) so you'll have to research first.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Sorry, I've never tried using an external sound source with video <shrug>

I just want to throw in a potential issue you may have with the Focusrite - apologies if this scenario has changed with updates to firmware/hardware on both Kemper and interface, its a while since I tried it. Anyway, to use SPDIF with the Kemper the interface should be configured for the Sync Source to be "SPDIF" or "external" as the Kemper needs to be the Master. When the Scarlett interfaces are configured like this, they will not route any analogue audio if they cannot see the SPDIF sync source - i.e. your Kemper will need to be on if you want to use the interface as a "standalone simple mixer". You can change the SPDIF sync using the PC/Mac software but you need to remember each time you want to change... This may have changed with the gen3 Scarlett interfaces, but certainly with gen1&2 I ran into this problem, confirmed by Focusrite.

Bear in mind that the headphone out from the Kemper will likely have the "Space" effect/parameter on (I think it is the default) whereas it is disabled by default for all other outputs. It provides some ambience for headphone monitoring and may be what you are noticing. You can apply it to other (main only?) outputs, have a look in the manual or online for "headphone space", there is a soft button to enable it for the main outs and also a soft knob to adjust the amount applied. I believe the headphone output is high quality on the Kemper anyway, but this space effect may be noticeably absent when listening through another interface. (Though you probably don't want it when not listening through headphones!)

+1 For what it's worth on the Linux development. I've been on (and supporting professionally) Windows since Windows 2.1 in the late 80's. Windows 8 (and to a lesser extent 10) has forced me to stay on Win7 until now - but I was just about to get my first Mac a few months ago when I thought I'd give Linux a go... wow, I haven't looked back. And definitely no pricey Apple gear needed now.

Rig Manager (and I hope the upcoming Editor) may work in a Virtual Box but its an inconvenience, huge security/privacy risk and added cost (I'll need to buy a Win10 license...)

I yearn for the day Windows is not seen as the "default" as if nothing else exists...

I think the Apogee Jam (and the IK Multimedia iRig devices) is doing its own amplification in the device (with gain set by the rotary dial), so that's why you're getting an overloaded signal. It would be better to use a basic iOS-compliant interface to get a line-level signal into your portable device. If the Jam is working for you, great - otherwise, you could do a web search for "budget iOS audio interface" to see what's around. I have a Zoom U-44 that works well for this, it was on a half-price deal when I bought a while ago. The U-24 is similar, with less inputs & cheaper.

I'm not really an expert on Rocksmith, but I have had my share of troubles with it ! The latency is mostly due to the output from the console - if you have an analog or optical out, use that (I'm an Xbox user so not sure what outputs you have). HDMI is the worst output, introduces terrible lag. (Xbox One and newer don't feature any analog outs, maybe the PS4 is the same.) The PC version is best regarding latency, plus there are thousands of home-made tracks using the "CDLC" option, but it has other issues around the input volume...

If you want to use your Kemper, you will still need to feed the *unprocessed* guitar signal into the Rocksmith cable. I've done this in the past using a AB/Y-splitter (Radial Big Shot), sending the signal to both the console and an amp, this was before I had my Kemper. I guess what you can do is plug the Rocksmith cable into a Kemper physical output (e.g. Monitor Output) and configure that output to "Git Analog" to get the raw signal. In the Rocksmith app, you'll need to configure the mixer settings to reduce the guitar volume to zero so you won't hear your playing "delayed" - sadly, the songs aren't provided as individual stems, so you will still hear the original guitar parts, you'll just have to turn up the Kemper!

Also make sure you set the ?latency config? (cant remember its exact name) in the settings screen, to compensate for any latency in what you see on the screen - it defaults to 50 (milliseconds?) but you can adjust either way. I never noticed any difference when I did it, so always left at default but you might...).

After that, its up to you to load up an appropriate rig on the Kemper to match the song; some songs will need you to change the sound mid-track if you want to be accurate, I guess Performance mode on the Kemper will help there...

BTW, the Rocksmith cable works as a very basic interface into other devices too - iphone, ipad, PC etc!

If the 2pre is anything like the Scarlett 18i8 then connecting an XLR to the input will force a Mic level input - you really want a line level input so can you connect using TS (unbalanced) 1/4” cables? Or if you have them, XLR (Kemper end) to TRS will get you a balanced connection. Have a look in the Clarett manual to be sure about the XLR input.

But yeah, if you want the SPDIF connection, maybe better to switch to a different interface, I’d rather not involve more converters just for simplicity & troubleshooting. I don’t know the Clarett range at all, would a Scarlett suit if it’s cheaper? The 6i6 I think is the lowest model supporting SPDIF, MIDI etc. You may lose some detail in the pre-amps but are you using them?

From the 18i8 (gen 1) Manual p15 :

“The front panel input sockets are Combo XLR type, which accept either an XLR male connector (you will probably have one on the end of your microphone cable) or a ¼” (6.35 mm) jack plug. Note the Scarlett 18i8 has no “Mic/line” switch – the Focusrite preamplifier stage is automatically configured for a microphone when you plug an XLR into the input, and for a line or instrument when you connect a jack plug. Select INST in Scarlett MixControl (in the Input Settings panel below the Mixer section) if you are connecting a musical instrument (like a guitar) via an ordinary 2-pole guitar jack, or to LINE if you are connecting a line level source such as the balanced output of an external audio mixer via a 3-pole (TRS) jack. Note the Combo connector accepts both types of jack plug.”

So it seems an XLR connection will force the input to Mic level. I think you’d be better using a TS or TRS cable - the latter being balanced, so you could use XLR->TRS cables for Kemper connection. TS should be fine though for short lengths. You can go into the rear inputs 5-8 for this & bypass the gain control. You also have the option of SPDIF if you set the 18i8 to sync from external SPDIF using the Mix Control software, then you avoid some Digital/Analogue conversions...