Posts by BardurJoensen

Hi i think that you said you have changed pickups lately? Are you sure that theese are wired correctly and are not set too close to your strings? I dont know if you have tried the guitar on something else than the kemper to rule out the guitar? Sorry if this has been mentioned already:)

Yeah I've recorded a comparison using the metal guitar gods plugin without kemper

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ayyy I finally learned how to properly respond to specific questions.

Holy crap dude!

That does sound bad. Besides what the guys have suggested, I'm not sure what could cause this. Have you contacted tech support? Hope you get this sorted out soon. But the Kemper can sound WAY better than that, for sure!

No I haven't contacted them yet. But I've contacted the shop I bought it from. I should probably contact Kemper I suppose.

Those examples sound like preamp or D/A clipping to me. What is the signal-chain for recording?

Note that the balanced main outputs (XLR) from the KPA are line-level and need attenuation if you connect them to mic-preamps in a mixing console or recording interface. The easiest solution is to de-couple the main outs from the master volume (use master volume only to adjust monitor/headphone level) and lock the main outputs to -25dB or therabouts in the profilers output section. You will of course have to raise the main level back up if you use the line-level TS (1/4") outputs or use XLR->TRS balanced converters.

Guitar is plugged into Kemper, Kemper is plugged into soundcard and soundcard is plugged into the computer.

I'm not tech savvy when it comes to sound equipment, so I'm guessing that's what you're asking.
    But it really shouldn't matter. When I plug my guitar and headset directly into the Kemper I get a pretty awful tone as well. Pretty sure it's the exact same tone I'm getting when I'm recording.

Ok I've tried to factory reset it now several times by pressing system when turning on the Kemper. Doesn't change the sound in any way.

Here's two recordings on soundcloud. It can't possibly sound this bad? or does Kemper take a mixing genius to make it sound good?

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

"Try some different headphones? With the latest OS and some good profiles, I highly doubt the Kemper is to blame."
    I don't have any other headphones. But they should be good, it's a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm.

"I wouldn't rule out a factory reset. My Kemper sounded great until one day when I switched it on and it seemed to have turned to crap in the night. I spent a long time fannying about with settings (which I hadn't previously had cause to alter) and got nowhere. Came on to these forums to discover how to do a reset and Bingo!! Back to sonic heaven in an instant. If all else fails then it's certainly worth a shot, if only to eliminate it from your enquiries, so to speak."
    Yes this sounds like the best option to try out. How do I do it? I've tried searching how to do it, but nothing really comes up.

"I did not see his reply that he was using headphones. I have never enjoyed playing my Kemper with headphones, so that could be part of his issue as well. He might need to try different headphones or better yet a frfr speaker or studio monitors.
    Make sure head space is on."
    Not really keen on spending more money on this. Already spent 18.000 on a Kemper and new pickups. But it sounds terrible when I record it and play it on my PC speakers as well, so I doubt it's the headphones who are at fault. Unless I'm really fucking up the recording.

I've tried out quite a lot of profiles now. I doubt it has anything to do with them.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do. I've set the sens so that clean and distortion are somewhat equally loud. That's what I got from the manual. It doesn't affect the distortion sound in any way though.
    But the clean is still kind of much louder, because of the popping when I play on my drop A string 7 string.

No I didn't disable cabinet. AMP EQ and CAB are all on.

How do I do an OS-reinstallation? Kemper was already updated to the latest version when I got it. So updating it won't do anything.

"Have you set the clean sens at an appropriate value for your guitar?"
    I don't know what would be an appropriate value. Both Clean Sens and Distortion Sens are set at 0.0 dB
    I just woke up, so I'll try to get a soundcloud recording up later if I have the time.

Thanks for the quick replies, I appreciate it.

I haven't been using any profiles much, just been searching for a good one since I got it, and I haven't found a good distortion tone yet. Been through the entire factory rigs and 100+ more that I've downloaded.
    Just tried out all of Sinmix's profiles, none of them sound good when I try them out.

I don't know if my outputs are configured correctly. I put my guitar jack into the "input" on the right and I plug my headphones into the "headphone" slot on the left. So I don't see where I could be going wrong. And I've tried tweaking the EQ, AMPLIFIER and CABINET it doesn't really improve much, just a tiny bit.

How do I do a factory reset? I saw another forum talking about it, but then it just sounded like a factory reset meant deleting the rigs and importing them again. Which wouldn't solve any of my issues. But I could be wrong about this, hopefully I am.

It doesn't really make any sense. I've watched videos on youtube and plenty of people get it to sound amazing.
    But after several days I can't get mine to sound better than what you hear in this video

External Content www.youtube.com

I've been playing around with settings and for several days and I just can't get it to sound half-decent.
    What could be wrong? could I be missing something here?

Guitar: Ibanez RG7321 with Nazgul and Pegasus Seymour Duncans
    DAW: Pro Tools 10, with an Mbox Mini sound card