Posts by vjau75

It loads any Rigs from the big brother. I'm presuming that whatever effects you have in slots A, B, Del, and Rev would, and the relevant Rig settings would be dialed up on this Player. While anything you have in C, D X, and Mod from the big boys would be missing, and of course any effects the Player doesn't have.

It loads any "profile" from the big brother. For the rigs, it will depends on the effects used. You will probably have to rework your rigs one by one.
    Also it can't load performances !

I don't know if it's a game changer, but there is already 7 pages of discussion about this product when the usual topic in the "other gear" part of the forum don't usually go very far.
    For me it's the first vst which i think is a good substitute for the Kemper (with perhaps TH-U). The stock profiles are meh but there are great finds on ToneNet and good profiles are coming to the platform. However, effects in the Kemper are better (but you can add your own trough other vst).
    Whatever you write, it will probably make a dent in Kemper sales.

I find it strange that no more people are talking about these profiles.
    For me, those are the best Princeton Reverb profiles available, period.

YTZ Prince-ton 3 has been the only profile dialed on my Kemper for some months.
    It has that grit that i sincerely thougth the Kemper couldn't reproduce.

Extremely touch sensitive, with or without a tube screamer added.
    Nice double reverb settings included, one legacy reverb and one spring reverb in a row, with the spring in second place (i would have done the opposite intuitively), which are a big part of the result, i guess.
    I have no link to this guy, never ever communicated with him, i don't even think he is on the forum.
    The Fender PR is my favourite amp, so this makes it my favorite Kemper profile.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I have tried it. Funnily enough I used the Kemper as a source, with all effects and profiles off, going SPDIF into my audio interface and it sounded great. I do wonder if something like ToneX, which is dependent on a good analog source for input, gives the user a coloured opinion of the sound and feel depending on what they have? I wonder if the sound and feel wouldn't be drastically affected if I just used my audio interface? Still it's a good VST for sure.

I do the same. Hovewer, yesterday i tried to plug my guitar straight into the interface (Sonicrite), and it worked equally well.
    In theory, the latency could be higher with the kemper since i plug mine through spdif.
    I like ToneX, but the Kemper effects are better.
    Kemper is a all in one solution. With tonex you need to add your own effects, to run multiple instances if you want to add an overdrive....

For my use, which is low level in my bedroom, i was not convinced by the power kabinet..
    Using FRFR mode, it doesn't bring any benefit over my studio monitors, and i'm loosing the stereao.

Using Imprints, the sound is not better (again, for me), it's like i was switching cab on the profiler, or using a different IR. I found it different, not better. And you are using what you like in the profile.
    So i sent it back (thank you Kemper) and went back to my studio monitors and headphones. Next step is to try a guitar cab.

It seems they are actually cleaning/refactoring code, as new bugs are introduced without any new real feature.

Some bug introduced related to profiling feature makes me hope something is coming around that.

For me it is not clear what kind of profiles we get?! The free rigs seem to be studio profiles that just got another cab copied to them (Tone Junkies Two Rock 2x12). There is only one profile with the original 1x12 speaker. None of them seem to be actually profiled with the 2x12 cab and they seem also not real merged profiles.

Or perhaps, as with 99% of profilers, they didn't care with proper taggin, which is a shame.

As for Profiling not being ‘at the top’ - we’ll vehemently disagree. The rest of the industry has had over a decade to get better.

Many comparisons have been done online recently about between the profiling habilities of Kemper, QC and ToneX. The Kemper hasn't come victorious in any of those comparisons. I repeat i'm writing about comparing profiling abilities only.

I honestly don’t think Kemper2 is forthcoming.

Not unless CK comes up with something related to Profiling to help improve it. Something he’s said he doesn’t see happening.

Product life is not only drived by technical progress but also by sales.
    If for some reason the Kemper 1 sales are declining, they will have to develop (it's probably already in the work) a new model.
    As users, we all know that the unit is still enjoyable, but the profiling part is not at the top of the game anymore, and the ui feels a bit dated, so i'm quite sure there will be a new unit in the forthcoming years.
    I don't know if we will get the "mod update" before that, thought.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It seems that for a year, JHS have been using a Kemper for all their demos, while displaying a Milkman amp.

They released it https://www.strymon.net/product/bigsky-plugin/

It is a bit expensive though (200$ excluding VAT, 239€ at Thomann !)

I have always wanted to get a big sky, but comparing the actual plugin to the reverbs in the Kemper, i think the only interesting reverb you can't really match with our units is the Cloud Reverb. Other feels a bit cheesy (i think i prefer the Hall in the Kemper to the big sky's Hall), average, or considerably inferiors (spring reverb).
    I guess CKemper considers the reverbs in the Kemper to be final but i would like to have a good aproximation to the cloud reverb which seems unmatched to me.

OneEng1 where in the video is he saying that a Fender BF and a triple rectifier can be made to sound the same with just tweaking ?
    He is wondering where the sound come from in an amplifier. His findings suggest that the tone stack (and not the type of tubes) is making the biggest differences. AFAIK, the tone stack in a BF and in a high gain amp are not the same (even when the first Mesas were modified Princetons).

I'm a big fan of his work, which goes always further.

External Content youtu.be

It's not Kemper related though. Or is it ?

Most of the time i play my Kemper through headphones because my playing sucks and i don't want to annoy my neighbours.
    It sits on my desk, hooked to my audio interface with the headphones on the interface, so no problem playing it with a backing track or online lessons.

I have also studio monitors (Focal) that i really like to play music, but who doesn't really transpose what i hear in my headphones with the Kemper.
    However, i recently went to my parent's house in the countryside where i have left my "old" THR10C, and i was really impressed by the sensations it provides. I like it better than my Kemper through my monitors. It feels really amp-like.
    I also tried the Powered Kabinet, which didn't bring anything for me over my monitors at bedroom volume.

Those using it in a live show might be a bit nervous about the idea a metronome could appear on the outputs.

It has probably been mentioned that most people have a phone and metronomes are free.

Those using it in a live show might be a bit nervous about the idea of the sound disappearing when engaging the tuner by mistake.

It has probably been mentioned that most people have a phone and tuners are free.