Posts by Atlantic

All I can say is that that was not my best post on this forum. Will not delete it but probably I should. Too many mistakes and misunderstood bits.

In my defense it was late and I probably wasn't in the best mood. Should have gone to sleep and try to help you in the morning.

Hi Mabo1988 ,

I'm afraid that you have mistaken the SPDIF connection for an RCA audio connection. SPDIF is a digital connection and what you have there is not a digital (coaxial) cable but an audio cable with RCA connectors. RCA connectors are physically the same as what you need for the SPDIF cable, but the cable itself is not the same. On a sense it's like if you where trying to connect your computer to a router with a power electrical cable instead of the ethernet cable and then wonder why you don't get internet in your PC.

Once you have a coaxial audio SPDIF cable, then you have to turn up SPDIF volume. In your picture you have it at 0.

SPDIF Out Link means that you can link that output (you have this option for all outputs of the Kemper) to the physical pot called Master Volume. Any output that is linked (you can link as many as you want) will change it's volume turning that knob. The outputs that aren't linked will remain unchanged when you turn it.

Let me give you an advice, because you are asking very basic questions about the Kemper. Do yourself a favor and read the manual. It is very well written and the amount of things the Kemper can do you will not be able to learn them "just by using it and trial error". It will take some time but it is completely worth it.

I didn't realize they changed the tuners on the 2020 models. I have a double cut 595 one off. I changed the pickups in mine to 57/08s. I love those pickups. The LTs that were in it were just a little too weak for me. There was a drastic difference in volume between those and my pickups in my other guitars so it wasn't working out well at gigs.

One reason I asked about the guitar is that I have an SC-59 that is that same color, which is a one off color for the SC-58. Yours looks really close to mine.

Yes, the pickups are low output for a humbucker. But I tend to like lower output PAF style passive pickups even if I play with high gain profiles.

The color on mine is just the old Trampas Green that PRS has been doing for years. Not traditional but also not on the very flashy side of PRS colors.

I noticed the tuners. McCarty?

All the 594s are McCartys . McCarty is kind of a name for "Gibson inspired" guitars in the PRS line.

Mine has vintage tuners because it is a 2020 model SC594. In 2020 they went for the vintage tuners instead of the Phase 3 locking tuners. It's one of the changes to make it more authentic to a vintage Burst Les Paul. It's also nitro finish and newly tuned pickups.

That looks really good.

What model is your PRS? Is that a 594?

Yes. It is a SC 594 Ten Top. Very nice guitar. I like to say it is an "elf" version of the "human" Gibson Les Paul. It's a more sleek design that gets rid of the inherent problems of the Les Paul but keeps the good things on it.

Of course Gibson could never do something like it because they must keep the traditional design. They live on it but are also hijacked by it.

PRS doesn't have those limitations and can do things right without suffering the rage from their fans.

I love both of them. I have a Les Paul R8 and it's as good a guitar as the 594 but just different. Wouldn't recommend one more than the other.

if it floats your boat that is all that matters.

personally, I think the original toaster is a design classic and wouldn’t mess with mine but if others want to customise; go for it and have fun.

I agree that the original Toaster (the original is the white one, but even the black one) is a classic by now. But I have had my red Marshall Cabinet for 20 years, and I´ve been using Kemper the last 5. Once you use them at the same time... looking at them they just don't fit together. Hence my decision to customize the Kemper Powered Rack and make the couple more esthetically pleasing. I would not modify what is an original and "rare" piece like the red Marshall cabinet. So it was the Kemper what had to be modified. And it is a non permanent customization. So, everything is good. And now, maybe, I can just start playing more 8o.

I like original. But I do like the matching tolex.

the good thing is that is completely reversible. If I ever get tired I swap out the skin and done.

The original has a lot of personality, but once I decided I wanted a matching rack case for my red cabinet I wanted to go all the way and see how it turned out. In the end I am happy with the result and that's why I'm sharing it. But I get that this might not appeal to everyone.

After some work and some wait I have been able to get my Kemper rack to match my Marshall Cabinet.

Used a front skin from Happy Kemper Skins and a rack shell made by Zilla Cabs. Added some Marshall knobs in the bottom row and also some black ones for the blacked out part.

What do the Kemperites think about this? Would you do something similar or maybe you like the Kemper original look and want to stick with it?

just in case somebody missed this in the manual:

Assignments without Remote

If your PROFILER Remote is not connected, or if your stage is so huge that your PROFILER is miles away from the Remote, you will not be able to reach both at the same time. In this case, enter the Remote Effect Buttons page in Rig Settings, hold one of the four soft buttons, and press one or more effect module buttons to complete the assignment.

This is useful of course. But we are talking Rig Manager here. In case you missed.

This is what I don‘t understand.

I cannot see a way how you would vary the volume of a (significantly) distorted amp by swapping the OD, or changing the volume of the OD.

The distortion of the amp would compress (sic!) the volume differences, but response with a different level of distortion.

My setup at home is made to use the Aux Input with my PC and be able to listen back to tracks and youtube lessons on the same headphones as I play thru the Kemper. This makes impossible to use the effects loop. For my initial test I went and disconnected everything and enabled the effects loop. I did the testing and found that for the clean (gain at 0 in the amp) and until a significant amount of gain in the amp, the Maxon had clearly a lot more volume than the Kemper Drive. I´m not talking here in super high gain where there is no room for more volume and any amp would just change the tone, compress and change the quality of the distortion, but in the low range of distorted amps where many people use their overdrives to get a boost for a lead part for example. Now based on your recommendation I went back to my usual setting with the effects loop disabled. So I am not able to try it again to report back with the exact gain figures until I have some spare time to do a new test on the effects loop.

If someone can do a similar test with a similar Tube Screamer pedal I would rather keep my testing on the suggested setting of connecting the Maxon Overdrive in front of the Kemper.

Last night I tried again in this setting with the pedal in front of the amp. Right now I can't report any conclusions. This way it all depends completely on the Clean Sense setting that you have.

Using the +6dB setting that you ckemper suggested the volume difference at maximum settings for a Profile that has gain at 4.4 value between the Maxon and the Kemper Drive is huge.

Are you sure you didn't mean -6 dB?

I think I still have a lot to learn about Clean Sense and the way to take complete advantage of it.

My way of thinking would be that Clean Sense is made to adapt to different guitars, but as soon as I put a pedal in front and rise the volume then I get a different response like I would with a higher output guitar. And that was what led me to think that probably the way of making things even was to use the overdrive pedal in an "intended for this use" Distortion Loop. With the results I already told.

Right now I would not know what settings use to try and make a list of presets for the community to use and get similar results with their setups.

Please explain „volume still too low“.

Are you driving a distorting amp?

Please use your Maxon in front of the Profiler (Input) and set „Clean Sens“ to +6 dB for the duration of the A/B comparison, to match the situation.

"Volume still too low": the Maxon gets a noticeable higher volume at max setting than the Kemper Drive at max setting.

This is something I am finding when attempting te create a set of presets of my overdrive pedal to then share here. I always thought the Kemper Drive was a good idea but would be even better with the community making presets tone matching their real pedals.

"Are you driving a distorting amp?": I get higher volume with the Maxon on the loop, both with clean and distorted amps.

I will test your recommendation of settings when I can and se how it goes.

Thanks for your work and for keeping your word on sorting out this issue ckemper

The improvement over the previous situation is clear IMO.

I myself have been doing my testing and I till now I came to the conclusion that if we want a real behaviour, similar to real pedal, we still need more volume range in the upper section.

I have been trying my Maxon OD9 using the intended Loop Distortion module. With the real pedal the volume range I get is a lot wider than with the Kemper Drive or Green Scream. Maybe for the Green Scream it is not a good idea to change anything as it has been in the KPA for so long that many past made Rigs might be affected. But for the Kemper Drive I do think that we could benefit from a better and more true range of volume from -5 to +5.

What I am getting is a more natural behaviour from -5 to 0. My Maxon can get lower in volume to the point of even cutting completely the signal. But that is not really usable. So I guess the lowest setting in the Kemper Drive now is OK.

In the range over 0 to +5 the volume still is too low compared to the real pedal. I guess there where no changes here, as the change log only mentions values below 0.

Pardon me if I'm not understanding something, but can't you just dial it it to a minimum setting and save your own preset??? Aren't all presets just a user modifiable subset of the default preset?

Well, he was talking about the factory presets that Kemper made with the new Kemper Drive stomp. You could only "tone match" a minimun setting for a TS 808 if you had a real one. But the point was to be able to sound like one just trusting the work from Kemper on their presets. Also in the 8.0 Addendum there are some graphics to understand where the pots would be in the real pedal for all the presets made by them.

Is this "feature" a toggle? It's the dumbest thing I've heard, if it's not.

What feature are you talking about?

Anyways I think that calling it "dumb" is not the most constructive way to suggest a change on anything.

I do think that for any of the features we are talking about it could be useful a toggle to let users decide, but your post is very disrespectful.

I'm guessing people didn't want that normalization to govern over the distortion/overdrive pre amplifier pedals?

That is exactly it. At least some people. It worked in a way that was not as a pedal in front of an amp. Of course the volume compensation has many advantages so let's see if this new beta makes things good in every possible way.

Still didn't test it.

It seems obvious to me that modern tuners dedicated to electric guitarists strongly lean towards the „b“ choice.

I have a hard time to find „#“ tuners in this domain. And it totally makes sense to me. That‘s why we have changed it.

Well, not only the tuners but also because of the "nomenclature" we use to refer to tunings. For example we all refer to Hendrix or SRV tuning their strats in Eb not in D#.

It always seemed strange to me that Kemper tuner was in # but nothing that one could not get used to. There probably was a reason behind that (and I know now that other tuners work that way)...but I never knew it.

They made some changes to the volume compensation when using distortion effects. Let's see if it works better.

Would love to read users opinions.

Aaaaaaand....

It´s fixed.

Went back to an old system backup made before the 8.0 update and now volumes work as they should.

Before restoring that backup I already had tried to downgrade to 7.5, and also did a Factory Reset in 7.5 and also in 8.0. Didn`t work. Only fix has been going to an old backup.

I was going crazy trying to change all the volumes in my performances and it was a real issue of the KPA all the time.

Moral here: kids, backup your systems frequently.