Posts by Atlantic

Atlantic yes, I understand what you are saying. I didn’t mean to suggest that you should want a 4x12 just because I hate them. Each to their own. I was only inferring that the issues which affect multi speaker enclosures could be a problem for using this technology in a 4x12.

I think (but I could be wrong) that making a single speaker behave like other speakers is a much easier job than making multiple speakers in combination behave like multiple speakers of the target version because of the way multiple speakers interact. It seems that the technology will need to take a fairly flat speaker and apply some clever filtering/DSP/etc to make it sound like a different speaker. It is hard to imagine it turning the flat speaker into a complete replica of the target speaker in terms of dispersion etc. though. Therefore, I would imagine that the multi speaker cab would not necessarily behave in the exact same way as a multi speaker cab with the real speakers it is trying to simulate. I believe that is part of the reason most FRFR cabs dont come loaded with multiple drivers (other than the horn but that is often seen as part of the reason guitarists don’t alwaus like FRFR)

As I say, maybe I’m miles off and you will turn out to be right. I don’t know at this stage and am just speculating like everyone else.

Oh I got you now. You might be completely right about that. The interaction between several speakers might throw off the otherwise correct simulation of just one of them acting alone.

You know why we are speculating... because we would be eager to try this NOW but we just can't. Not yet.

As for using the KPA with backing tracks, I just take the headphone out from my mac and use a y splitter to use the aux input of the Kemper. Works like a charm and isn't to complicated to set up.

I do the same from my Focusrite Interface. Out from the interface into the aux input of the Kemper.

My headphones are always connected to the Kemper and I even watch movies or youtube through the headphones connected to the Kemper. The headphones amp of the Kemper is great.

Atlantic I see what you are saying. I sort of agree with your logic although I think there is more too it than just stick four of the new speakers in a 4x12 cab. The cab dimensions will affect the sound to some extent. Maybe clever DSP controls can adjust for that. However, the biggest problem I see with a 4x12 loaded with the new speaker is that it will still suffer from the same phase cancellation anomalies that a regular 4x12 does. I wonder what the DSP will need to do to adjust for those and create a flat response 4x12. It’s way above my level of understanding but I think there would be serious issues with multi speaker cab. 2x12 is just about bearable with a regular cab but 4x12 drives me crazy.

Ok, but let's just keep it simple. We all know that different size cabinets and number of speakers sound different. For each their own. You don't like 4x12s and that is fine. Others think different.

But what I'm saying is, will the Kemper speaker really behave like a V30 (or whatever given speaker) in ANY of those formats? If they have really accomplished that, it would be remarkable. And I believe that's what they claim to have done.

If you need stereo, unpowered.

If you don't need it and want a simpler and cheaper option (cheaper than a Matrix...) powered.

I have both. First I had a non powered Rack with an external power amp. Then I bought a Powered Head.

I prefer the Powered Head if you are going to use it like a real amp.

Kemper is going to sell the Kemper speaker alone. So you can mount it in your actual cab. So you could make it sound like a V30 or a G12...

I'm not talking about making a V30 sound like a G12. Of course that is impossible.

Did I explain myself now?

Therefore running this through a non FRFR type set up with muddy the waters somewhat. I assume that it WILL work through a regular FRFR set up but might not sound as good ( as all FRFR setups are not equal).

A Marshall cab will sound like a Marshall cab. But two Marshall cabs do not sound the same if one has V30s and the other Greenbacks for example. And there is where I think the difference is. The Kemper Cone will make possible to change the sound of your speakers on the fly. I think that is a tall order and doubt they got it 100%. But the idea is genius.

Of course you will not make your Marshall cab sound like a Mesa cab. But neither the FRFR cabs do that.

I REALLY hope this speaker can handle a maximum power of 600 watts but I somehow doubt that. Interesting nevertheless!

Oh, yes because CK didn't think that maybe Kemper users with a powered Kemper of 600watts might want to connect their Kemper Amps to their Kemper Cabinet. For sure it will not handle those 600 watts...

Thanks!! Do you guys know of a wireless headphone that have low latency for this matter? I have a wireless Relay G10 jack in my living room.. Would love to do the same with headphones for practicing also :)

I also have a wireless for my guitars at home. Just a simple one that works perfect.

I have searched the wireless headphones and didn't find anything with low enough latency. If you do let me know.

I think there are some concept mixes here.

People that has FRFR systems and are happy with them don't have the need of the Kemper Kone or Kemper Kabinet.

I think it's a product or system to fill the need of people like me that like to have an actual guitar cab but loose the "complete" experience that the Kemper offers by just having all the time the same speakers, so all profiles sound too similar. This of course has nothing to do with FOH, but the personal experience in front of the amp.

With the Kemper Kone I can have my guitar 4x12 and make it sound with different speaker imprints, getting more of the DSP of the Kemper without having to go the FRFR route.

I do like to have my 4x12. I'm a rock guitar player and I think that rock and roll is 25% music and 75% attitude and looks. I have nothing against combos, 2x12 cabs or whatever. But too many FRFR cabs just look bad.

I have said this before. For me it's not all about it being linear, perfect or just exactly the same as the original amp, speaker and cabinet. For me it's all about sounding GOOD.

And to be honest, we won't know if this sounds good or not until we try it ourselves. So...let's just wait.

Thanks! But why would that be better than through the THR5? I feel that the spatial awareness is crucial to my own playing and self-esteem during play? At least that's why I have learnt up until now.

Well, I have a THR10 and I much prefer to play with headphones than to play through the Yamaha. Maybe it's personal preference but given that your neighbours complain a lot I think that you should try the headphone route.

The Space parameter actually produces a little stereo effect (like being in a small room). This is less tiring to the ears than a pure mono signal. It's not so much an "amp in the room" but rather a "room" feeling ;)

The "amp in the room" parameter would be "pure cabinet". You can find a Kemper video tutorial explaining this parameter.

Yes, true. But for someone that still doesn't have a Kemper it's easier to just explain that way.

Also the recommendation about open headphomes is to make the binaural effect more prominent as you can hear with both ears some of the bleeding from the other side and even some reverb from your room.

This has worked very nice for me at least.

It has happened to some people that automated update fails in RM using Windows. The easy fix is just going to downloads page and install manually.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads

If you want to install the last version that is compatible with the beta it is also there now

(Rig Manager for Windows (version 2.1.71)

So from there, once installed, you have to go to Preferences and click the option to get beta releases. This should prompt a window to update your KPA to the last beta once you turn it on. Just make sure you get a backup of your KPA before as always if you want to be sure you can go back 100% to previous state.

Once you have OS 5.7 installed in your KPA go to System and press Factory Presets and that way you will see all the new Reverb presets using the Browse knob. If you don't do this you will still have the new reverb Types, just not the Factory Presets that Kemper has made for us as a rough guide off what is possible.

In my opinion learning to use Toast Me is not different than learning to use your Kemper. If you know everything about what you can do with the KPA then learning to use Toast Me would take no more than 5-10 minutes.

Chances are that by using it you will learn a lot about what you can do, just by having all the knobs and options at your disposal.

It is very intuitive.

I don't think there will be 5.8 & 5.9.
    But if 6.0 was near the corner, why then release 5.7beta just before Namm ?

It has been mentioned here that 6.0 is around the corner as it gets mentioned in the 5.7 Addendum:

"

Legacy Reverb
    The Legacy Reverb is based on the first reverb algorithm created for the PROFILER. The main purpose of this
    reverb type is to maintain full backward compatibility with Rigs that have been created before the advent of
    PROFILER operating system 6.0.
    If you are going to build a new reverb from scratch, you should select one of the new reverb types instead."

I have just come from band practice and I played with different reverb presets in Performance Mode but didn´t have any issue.

Maybe update to the latest beta (there is one released later than the one you have) and check if the bug is corrected.

You can find it in the download page:

PROFILER Operating System 5.7.0.14099 Public Beta