Posts by Ragnarok

Oh ho ho ho, this thing is coming alive now! I have it back through the Mesa 290 now with the cab sims off and it smokes!!!!!!! That Marshall JMP68 rig from Peter W is the shizzle!!! Very nicely done!

Hey man, welcome. Just curious what made it come alive? Was there tweaking of individual profiles involved, or was it more a matter of finding the right ones? The reason I ask is my situation is very similar and I'm having a tough time finding realistic sounds. Plasticky is definitely the word here. Glad to see your making progress. Nice work. :thumbup:

Rag, do you have conversations enabled in your settings? I tried to send one but it says "user doesn't exist" even though I selected it from your profile.

Does anyone know if "conversations" are working right now, or am I missing something.

I believe so but I will double check. Did you get the message I sent to you?

HI, I've been having some issues with my powered toaster. I've started a support ticket and their advice is to try and A/B it with another Kemper. Unfortunately there are no dealers that I'm aware of in this state, so I'm hoping to be able to find some one who wouldn't mind comparing profilers? I would do the traveling. Thanks.

The alto ts 212 arrived tonight. Sounds ok, but to my ears there is a stiff, "plasticky" quality to the sound of profiles with any kind of gain involved. Maybe that's to be expected in that price range? ?( Sounds pretty good playing mp3 songs through it.

Depends on whether or not you have a powered or unpowered kemper. If it's unpowered you could run kemper into return input of effects loop. If it's powered you can plug directly into 1960 cab from the speaker output of KPA, or into effects loop from the Monitor or headphone output.

Thanks for all the replies. I had an alto ts212 ordered as of last week before I saw the post about the XiTone passive cab. May have to buy one of those too. Is anyone aware of a way to run stereo with a powered speaker and a passive speaker, running out of 2 different outputs? Or is it only possible out of the mains with 2 powered speakers?

Being pretty new to a powered toaster, I'm looking for some kind of direction as to a monitor/ cabinet that does an accurate job of reproducing the KPA'S intended sound. I should preface this by saying that I've spent a fair amount of $ already and am not happy with the dozen or so things I've tried. Including traditional guitar cabs and a few flat response speakers. What I'm looking for is something passive that sounds good, has been tried and tested, and has had a lot of good reviews. That way, in the case it doesn't work out for me I'll know it's not the speaker that's causing the problem in the first place. And can rule that end of it out. Thanks in advance.

Issue solved. After opening a support ticket and doing a factory reset directly after installing updated firmware, I am happy to report that my KPA powerhead is sounding great. All of a sudden everything is 3 dimensional, full sounding, and up front. Just like the recordings I've been listening to. I've downloaded some great profiles from the rig exchange and am back to having fun playing guitar, rather than banging my head against a wall. Not sure what was different this time (I've tried resetting 6-7 times before) other than doing the reset again immediately after upgrading. Was starting to lose it a little there thinking I made a mistake buying a faulty unit. Glad to learn I was wrong. Thanks to all of those who gave of their time and wisdom. And thank you to the kemper support team who were quick to respond to my email. Merry Christmas and happy rockin'...

I personally have not had very good luck with 4x12s, but I would love to change that. Are you guys impressed with the KPA over a traditional guitar cabinet? Don't know what I'm doing wrong, cab Sims off, and still sounds muddy.

Have you tried the solution found in this thread?

Updated to 5.0.3. Still same old same old, other than a few new delays and stuff. Really, with my live sound nothing has changed since the day I brought it home. Just wondering if all you guys live sound is pretty close to your recorded sound? I know the room your in plays a part, and the distance you are from your moniter and all that. But are you hearing the same ballpark sound from your moniter playing live as you hear when recording direct and listening to it? I'm going to post a few recordings when I get some time. It will be the same riff, and same profile. 1 will be recorded direct, the 2nd miced in front of my moniter. Hopefully will show you what I'm getting at.

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has had any experience with the Mission Engineering km 212p cabinet, and what your thoughts are about it's capabilities? It's advertised as being made with the KPA powerhead and other modelers in mind. I've spent some time with one lately and do have an opinion myself, but am interested in others findings with as I'm unable to find any reviews out there. Thanks.

Also, as of about 3 weeks or so ago I've pretty well given up on the 4x12s. All of my live monitoring lately has been either a powered line 6 p.a. out of the Monitor Output, or the mission engineering cab out of the main powered output. Same issues with flat response speakers.

Thanks John,
    I really appreciate all your guidance. I have auditioned every cab that I have available that came with KPA. I have not yet loaded any new ones though. While I hear a dramatic difference between them (enough to hear what your talking about as far as how much the cab is responsible for overall tone), there is a characteristic across the board with every cab and every profile that I cannot seem to tweak out. Direct profiles included. With every different cab/monitor solutions I've tried. This new cab that just arrived via FedEx was advertised as being made with KPA powerhead in mind. Same issue...I would expect a tonal difference running through a traditional guitar cabinet, from the reasons you mentioned above. And while I'll be the first to admit I'm a little slower than most in this department and am probably overlooking something, it seems to be almost a spacial thing. Like all my profiles were made with a barrier between recorded amp and mic. While I know that's not the case, that's what my ears are hearing. Some of them do sound better than others, but it's always there to some extent. Unless I'm using headphones with space turned up or recording and playing it back. Thanks again for all the time you've spent helping. I'll keep on tweaking dials.