Posts by Job Posthuma

I tried the 2x12 kantana against several other more expensive solid states, also frfr systems, in the shop, and it came out as the winner. Open, transparant, responsive and punchy....very very good to my ears at least.

I got me a second hand fender mustang stereo for now, also pretty good, havent A/B that one against the kantana, but i surely will....and im afraid the kantana is gonna beat the stereo mustang also :)

Btw..kantana is supposed to have a very good acoustic mode, that should handle acoustic guitars well.
    No clue how they do that...kantana does not have frfr speakers...so they must have an algoritme that compensates that.
    Could you try to "direct profile" the kantanas acoustic mode?....could that work?

I use the morph function, which triggers at every second click on the preset button of my behringer fcb1010.

For every 5 presets in performance mode, i programmed a "solo" version behind every morph click of the selected sounds.

For cleans that is usually adding a little gain, boosting the pre amp out, and Add some delay.
    For gainy sounds, only volume boost, and adding delay.

To do this, i have delay on, on all my sounds, but in many cases with mix on 0%, this allows me to morph it.

To me this gives a very practical setup, and solo levels/sounds always one click away.

Im using the smallest powered genelecs available, (pack of milk size). Since my room is not balanced acousticly , i didnt go for full reference speakers, but they do a pretty good job imo, affordable, and sound pretty comfortable.

The power chorus i went for not ok, so proceded my search.
    I got me a second hand mustang 4, and stumbled on a small and very light 90"s ART stereo amp with 2 10" speakers.

Havent gigged with them yet, so only tested at home.
    The mustang sounds very convincing, handles volume well, sounds open, maybe compresses a little more then i would prefer, i guess giging with it will be the final test. More then confident to take it with me!

The ART set me back 50,-...and its a keeper. Very very light(Carbon cab), you can tilt it to a monitor position, and sounds pretty ok. So perfect as a rehearsel amp, i would even be comfortable trying it on a gig.

Im not all that familiar with programming controlers and switches...so im on a learning curve here :)

I got me a behringer fcb1010 with the kpa chip and trying to set it up.

- is it possible to trigger the morph function with a button on the fcb with the kpa chip? I could not find in the fcb chip manual how to set it up.
    - as an alternative to trigger morph, i plugged a Boston on/off switch into the KPA pedal B, strange thing is i have to hit the button twice to morph/unmorph. Wrong switch?..wrong parameter somewhere?
    - i want one of the pedals on the fbc to control wah...untill the wah stomp is turned off, then i want it to control delay volume...is that possible?

Cheers

Im still deciding on what to use to power my KPA live.

I definitely am not going for an frfr solution, i tried most of the recommended ones on this forum, and a couple of others, didnt give me the "amp in the room feel" im looking for, so frfr is just not for me.

I got amazing results with 2 cheap ass st amps: Boss kantana and fender champion 100.
    I also tried number of high end valve amps, some how solide state amps seem to do better with the KPA..at least in my ears.
    Next i wanna try is a stereo st amp....stereo effects on stage would be great.
    I tried a jc 120, that was pretty good, but somehow sounded compressed to me.

Now im looking into other stereo amps that have stereo return loops.
    Some older, like fender chorus amps, but maybe even line 6 combo's that have a stereo return.

Did anyone try anything like this and wants to share the results?

Regards,

J

I would like a post pre amp (pre effects) boost option, controlable by midi (and switch).
    Ideal would be to toggle between 3 stages, normal , + x Db, + y Db.

Reason is i want to go from comping volume to solo volume for all my presets with one click.

Current alternatives is see

- 1 Add an other volume padel...I already have 2 for wah and delay levels, my controler has only 2, and i really dont need full range of a pedal, just louder..and more louder :) . Also, with a volume pedal, when the stage moves a bit, the volume pedal moves a bit, resulting in the volume changing to the pedal setting of the last used preset, instead of the pre defined one in the preset
    2- probably is possible to put a pedal in the post preamp "x slot", but that would sacrifice all dynamic/eq post pre amp...only one slot there.
    3- use 2 switches on controller to modify pre amp out...that would require 2 switches instead of one, also volume will be defined in the controller instead of the kemper, taking away the fast editing options that the Kemper gives.

Any other options i missed?

as a rule of thumb:

_Avoid digital leveling in your recording chain if you can. Start with everything at zero (doing nothing, so not all the way down) on your digital devices. (No clue where zero is with the kempers volume knob, would be interesting to know)
    _Utilise all the bits of your daw...record as loud as you can.
    _if you have to boost, do it analog if you can, before going in the digital domain.

Reason for this is, as an example with 16 bit devices:

If you cut the level of a 0db sound to half, only 8 of the 16 bits are used, if you boost it again in a second device, those 8 bits will be devided over 16 again, if you cut it in a 3rd application in, those 8 bits will be degraded to a 4 bit soundquality ..in a 16 bit system.

Most systems are 24 bits and up nowdays...so the effects of leveling are much less..but still there

I love this profiles.
    Made a sample with a blade r4 i just got me with the soldano amp in pack 1

https://drive.google.com/open?…Jp-QcMccW8b0NTTzNhSmZRcFU

Rythem parts:
    On Eb part: neck pick-up with guitar pre amp boosting high and low
    On Ab part, neck and middle pick up

Solo parts:

Clean: neck with guit preamp boosting mids
    Gain on Eb part: neck in passive mode
    Gain on Ab: bridge with guitar pre amp boosting mids

(The hum is my monitor getting the single coils)

Still payed too much, 1000, but had to have that guitar.
    I made a sound sample using Bert meulendijks profile of soldano amp.

Rhythm parts:
    on Eb its neck pick up with pre amp boosting low and mid
    On Ab part its neck en mid pick up

Solo parts:

Clean is neck pick up with guitar preamp boosting mids
    Gain solo is dist 2 with neck pick up in passive mode on the Eb part
    On Ab its bridge with preamp of guitar boosting mids.
    https://drive.google.com/open?…Jp-QcMccW8b0NTTzNhSmZRcFU

Personally i didnt like the Kemper though frfr monitors. Maybe u suffer from the same defect as me...and the Kemper is fine.

I love it on my studio monitors (cab sim on), and through almost any return of regular guitar cabine/amp.(cab sim off)
    Did you try one of these options? Guit cab may require a little eq to compensate, but should sound natural to start with.

The Kemper maybe be the best thing to hook up to an frfr, but possibly described as artificial compared to an amp in the room...just as any miced cab backstage (and routed to frfr) would.