Posts by Job Posthuma

Lot of PA guys simply play an audiotrack they know really well, and is “trusted” for a good mix, and set their master eq,s on that by ear.

Analysers are great tools...If you know what to look for..and what you want...else you gonna be looking at results that tell you nothing. Im not sure “flat” is the ultimate for a PA system tbh..

Trimming a PA to match your kpa sounds/headphones....thats kinda the world upside down.

Maybe you end up with a great sounding guitar..but how about the rest?

Reference monitors are what “the world” is using. Audio engineers, mixers, digital instruments designers.

As a rule of thumb PAs are (or should be) dialed towards the point that everything that works on referencemonitors....also works on the PA. Pink noise, or reference audiotracks are commonly used tools for that.

So for you as a guitar player the mission is to dial your sounds on decent reference speakers, studio monitors, or headphones designed for that purpose.

Basically you wanna make sure your sounds work ok on all commonly used audio systems, your hifi, car, pa, stage monitor., etc.

you may need to tweak a little on the board at the gig, or for your stage sound, but If you have done it right, 1 tweak should get all your sounds in the “zone”.

I have the powered rack version and i'm turning cab on/off in the stack section but also have cab off in the outputmenu.

The original rig comes with a cab - so from my understanding, this rig is sent in full to main out, but the cab part is turned of for monitor, if cab sim monitor off is checked. - with that setting, i can toggle the cab button in the stack section and have (sometimes) a very big difference in sounds from the monitor.

that really should not happen!

I noticed this behaviour when the amp is switched of, support gave feedback that in that case it is “as designed”...(though strange from my perspective), but If im correct they also gave feedback that it shouldnt happen when theres an active amp.

What id do...make a video and send it to support.

When i make a profile i make unique names for the amp, and I store them in a unique named rig.

Somehow, when I open an existing rig, press “amp”...and dial to select another amp, the amps I have created dont turn up in the list...seem to be non existant.

Does some condition have to be met for amps being selectable?...maybe some tag thats a requirement?

I have always played kpa through a cab (stage sound). Recently I auditioned some di / merged profiles, and discovered the cabless signal is more open Compared to studioprofiles where kpa calculates the cab.

So I have decided to switch to merged / di profiles exclusively.

1/ Which commercial profilers offer di/merged profiles, and do so by profiling multiple settings of the same amp?

2/ is there an effective way to identify what is a merged profile, and what is a studio? Is there somekind of checkbox anywhere?...or do we have to go on title/descriptions?

3/ Did anyone cover this issue succesfully:

- unlike using studio profiles, when using merged profiles, the difference between uncabsimmed sound (to my amp), and cabsimmed sound (to foh) gets unpredictable. Did anyone cover this in a practical way? I could imagine using 1 IR for all your profiles is gonna work.

(Recommendations to switch to frfr not needed ;))

For home use you are much better off with studiomonitors, sounds much better then frfr units that are designed to produce very high volumes.

Also I would not consider the powered version If you are on a budget and only play at home.

To play the kpa through a guit cab, use the return of a combo, a 100,- poweramp pedal, a cheap 90s tube power amp, whatever works for you.

To me, buying a powered kpa, buys you a convinience factor by having all in one unit, but there are plenty power options as good sounding out there.

I tried an ac15...even moded it with a loop.

Into the front was terrible.

Into the return....doable...but nowhere near enough headroom....broke up by just looking at it.

I wanted it to work cause of the esthetics....it didnt.

I can recommend playing kpa through return of a decent combo though..my best result so far...30w and up

Ok so just to be 100% sure, sorry if I'm annoying you and if I'm too persistent. This is what I'm trying to do with the Kemper:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This video shows exactly what I'd like to do even with the cab sim thing....

You can hook up your cables like in the video.
    You can toggle your amps preamp out of the chain by disabeling the kpa effectloop in a preset...and put a kpa amp on. So it allows you to use both kpa amps, as well as your amps preamp.

So again:
    Check If your preamp signal + cabsim represents your sound (No power amp in chain)

consider the kpa bug:

Kpa amp disabled
    Cabsim global disabled on the monitor out
    Cabsim on on main outs.

In this scenario, switching cabsim off to foh....it does effect the signal to monitor out...its subttle...but it should not. If you are set on 4cm only, this would be a reason for me to consider other options.

So if I use the Kemper as effects unit I'll have to mic the cab on stage, because there's no way to use the Kemper as effects unit and, at the same time, adding a cab sim to go to the FOH...

you can to a degree

When you hook it up as 4cm the signal to foh will be:

Archon pre amp—> kpa effects—>kpa cabsim—> foh
    What is missing is the effect the power section has.
    If your sound is depending on that...its not gonna work.
    If you use the amp in a way that is within the range of the power section headroom...my bet is its gonna work fine.

You can test by recording your amp using the send of the loop into a daw...and apply an ir.

There is no way to feed your speaker out into the kpa, and doing so include the effect your power amp has in the foh signal.

Maybe I'm explain the #1 scenario badly, so let's make an example to make everything absolutily clear. Let's say I've the Archon on stage with the Mesa 2x12, the Kemper is the effects unit so I'm playing with the Archon and the Mesa using the Kemper for example to have a delay and rever effects. This is happeing on stage. Then I would be able to send this sound as it is to the FOH, but becouse I don't want to mic the cab on stage, I'd like to use a cab sim on the Kemper instead of the real cab that I'm using on stage, so the FOH gets the same sound but with a cab sim instead of the real cab. Is it more clear now ?

I think you explained it very clear to begin with, and imho a perfectly good usecase for the kpa....If you plan to make use of the profiled amps in other situations.

If you are not planning to use profiled amps at all...then you may be better of with other/cheaper units.

Thanks for your help. Sorry but I don't understand what do you mean with "as long as you don't relay on power amp overdrive". In my #1 scenario I want to use the Archon as it is, so clean and drive channel of the amp with the Kemper used as effects unit. Then I want to play thru my cab on stange and the FHO gets the same sound but with a cab sim instead of the real cab.
    The #3 scenario is not like the #1. I want to record using only the Archon without the real cab and using the Kemper as cab sim and effects unit. So the hypothetical chain is Archon - Kemper - Audio interface.

Of course I could profile the rig, but here's the point: I've already considered to use only the Kemper in all those situation in which I don't want/can use the real amp, so asking these questions I just want to understand if it's possible to have a hybrid setup in some situation. A hybrid setup that obviously meets my needs...

Of course I could profile the rig, but here's the point: I've already considered to use only the Kemper in all those situation in which I don't want/can use the real amp, so asking these questions I just want to understand if it's possible to have a hybrid setup in some situation. A hybrid setup that obviously meets my needs...

If you are pushing the power amp of the archon past its headroom to get your amp sound, so distorting your power section, the 4 cm rig is not gonna work.
    Idnk the amp..If its 30w or above your probably good.

Scenario 3...unless I dont get it...seems the same as 1 for the foh signal. Pre amp of archon, into kpa, effects, cabsim.

Again, its all possible, only thing to further investigate is the behaviour of the cabsims to monitor out...which is bugged when you switch off kpa amps.

Following the specs of the kpa...this can all work...however...theres a bug in the kpa that impacts your scenario 1

1 as long as you dont rely on power amp overdrive, hook it up as a usual 4cm, put the effectloop in 1 of the 4 effectslots “pre amp”, turn off the amp section, global setting “cab Sims off on monitor output, monitor output to amp return, main outs to foh......but.....
    I noticed a bug in the kpa, that when you disable the amp, toggling the cab Sims on/off has (very minor) effect on the monitor output. Which should not be the case when you have the cabsims disabled for that output. I never investigated further cause i never use the kpa this way. It was confirmed by 1 other forum member.

2 no problem, switch from a preset from scenario 1, to a “regular” preset. Its actually my prefered set up, running the kpa into a return of an amp....foh gets the cabsim.
    3 same as scenario 1 right?

Maybe consider to profile your amp for scenario 1?