Posts by Dunconia

I will summarize by saying that the ultimate rig for the average joe tone snob would be the Helix’s routing, Kemper’s profiling of amps, and fractals effects and cabs. Add that to a proper stereo FRFR and all that’s left is left is up to you.

Check out Universal Audio's OX Amp. To my ears, it sounds outstanding.

Right! That looks cool. UA does amazing things. My problem is it’s expensive, looks like I’ll need some sound engineering experience, and not very flexible as far as plug and play. I don’t want to deal with microphone placement and compression and what not. I just want a great sound. The room sound is interesting though.

I would also add that using a amp minus power section for a stomp is amazing. Its what I love about stomps minus that certain something that stomps take away. It’s probably just a preference thing. I find it more plugged straight into amp like. Again, my setup is a modified 4cm.

I’ve owned an Eleven Rack, Line 6 Amplifi 150, Kemper, a Helix, a Mesa Triple Crown plus Suhr Load Box, and a Fractal AX8 now. Tried the Kemper, it’s awesome but couldn’t quite find my tone. I grew tired of trying different profiles and that requires time to get used to brand new tones each time I switch. The Helix has great effects but I liked Kemper approach better for effects. Kemper effects try to keep the core tone intact while Helix tries to mimic stomp boxes completely, coloring the tone. Routing in the Helix is awesome. It’s all there as far as I’m concerned but the the amp feel is artificial out of the box. I haven’t tried tweaking extensively and wouldn’t know what to do if I did. Up to that point, it always sounded better with a short cable into my Mesa TC. I tried 4cm but it is not the same. I went Mesa into Suhr Reactive Load and it was revolutionary. Cab IRs is a great thing in my opinion. I tried miking and profiling in the Kemper but something is always off. I’m not a sound engineer but I am a Aeronautical engineer so I am not inadept at researching and analyzing and trying different methods. I found my favorite sound came from miking the speaker slightly off center cap with a SE VR1 mic. Still, it didn’t hold a candle to putting the Triple Crown through the Suhr and a properly selected professional IR like OwnHammer. That boils down to an amateur recording chain vs a pro recording chain. What are you really capable of? Recently, I found the best solution is guitar to AX8>Mesa amp>Suhr>AX8. I simply use the Fractal AX8 for effects and cab IRs and the sound is amazing. I don’t know if there’s a better sound with the ultra res cabs but It is definitely more roomy to me. Or it can be if you choose.

There are limitations to pedals. Each pedal has its own personality. This is a cool thing but it’s limited. I would like to see ODs go the same direction as the newer delays. It’s more streamlined and versatile. No delay inheritly changes the tone but offers so many possibilities. They could offer ODs with parameters like eq bumps and even vs odd order harmonics, mix controls, mixing clean and dirty signals, higher overtones vs lower overtones, sawtooth vs squarewave or whatever... Possibilities would be limitless. It would open the door for commercial profilers to uniquely color profiles and create brand new tones instead of rehashing old ones. It’s also a unique marketing strategy. Otherwise, buy a helix and run it with the Kemper. Or use a pedal board.

I set the Spdif level to whatever gives me about -12 peak input into my interface to prevent clipping and provide additional headroom to safeguard against digital clipping. I should have clarified that. I don’t set the number to -12 on the Kemper display. I just turned it on and I see that number is -8.1db.

Sorry for the confusion. Also, the parameter to uncheck is called SPDIF Out Link. This keeps the level into my interface from changing when I twist the Master Volume knob. Just a suggestion.

Why don't you read the manual? Everything it's in there :)

Yes. Thank you. That’s good general advice. I was hoping that someone would reply with how they use this feature. I did read the manual but I didn’t understand the practical use of the feature. I’m sure someone a handy way of using it.

I’ve used HS and LS to improve a profile that otherwise sounded small and weak. It’s just one of the many controls that Kemper has that is super powerful for tweaking. That said. I have a profile that I made that has some great low end using a ribbon mike. It sounds a lot more like playing the amp in the room and I really like it for playing by myself but it would just get lost with a bass player. I’m putting a eq in the x slot but would be better if I could cut without taking that slot up.

+1

Make sure your cables are connected correctly. Out from Kemper to In on your Presonus. Set your Presonus to external clock.

I use the SPDif cables as well. I set my Kemper output level for SPDif to a good -12db input level on my Apollo and then made the SPDif level ignore the master volume knob on the Kemper. Otherwise, I would have to set the level again each time I connected it to my interface. Hope this helps.

I uploaded better profiles of the lo and hi channel of the Mesa Triple Crown. I feel that these are much more articulate and cutting. 4 is a slightly lower gain level than 5 is in both cases. This is the first time I've actually captured the sheer rudeness of the lo channel that I felt that the real amp has. Again, the titles start with RD Mesa TC50.

I uploaded better profiles of the lo and hi channel of the Mesa Triple Crown. I feel that these are much more articulate and cutting. 4 is a slightly lower gain level than 5 is in both cases. This is the first time I've actually captured the sheer rudeness of the lo channel that I felt that the real amp has. Again, the titles start with RD Mesa TC50.

Thanks! I definitely find that profiling clean is much easier to me than profiling dirty profiles. You may have hotter pickups than me. I originally profiled the dirty ones at the edge of breakup, but when I went back and listened, they sounded thin to me. I bumped up the gain knob on the Kemper to fix this. You can turn it back down and actually get back closer to the original. I also tweaked the Cab to thicken it. All in all, these were profiles that I took and thought I weren’t usable but the Kemper is extremely flexible in tweaking.

I don’t profile often so I’m planning on taking a few lessons learned from that experience and trying again soon. I’ll post when they are up.