Posts by Kasper_Fauerby

Early reaction is this will let me sell my Ventris dual reverb. The new reverbs are nailing 95% of what I use the Ventris for, and I can even stack 4 stereo verbs on top of 4 mono verbs. Absolutely bonkers. They sound great!

Ha, I just sold my Ventris yesterday (it sounded great, but was overkill for me and gave me a bit of option paralysis) and had started looking for a simpler pedal to replace it. Then I read this...

Talk about good timing ;) I think I'll put the pedal buying plans on hold until these have been released in final version and I've had a play.

Great work Kemper guys!

The guy has all the gear, but like other has posted before me I believe his core sound is primarily coming from his PT100 signature amp.

I know for a fact that he has used a setup with a Kemper for the amp sound, but running it 4 cable method with a Helix.
    He seems to prefer the Helix for effects and such... and probably he can use the Helix floor model as control unit for the Kemper as well.

With a Marshall 2555x I don't see any other way than using a loadbox, if you want to create DI profiles. Or a DI box that accepts amplifier out signals and can forward to your cabinet (which you then would need to always have hooked up). Something like a Torpedo Captor, Suhr Reactive Load, Rivera RockCrusher or similar... or perhaps the official Kemper DI box, if you don't need the load.

The DI on the amp is frequency compensated, and is 99% certainly taken before the power section anyways.

You could also try a DI profile and add that cab. No mic needed. Once you get a mic try both and see what gives you your preferred results.

+1 to that.. especially if you're already planning on using an already profiled cabinet.

For me, personally, this approach made it so much easier to get into making profiles. I'm not a studio engineer and have no experience mic'ing up cabinets, and I also don't have a good room to profile in anyway.
    Much easier to only concern yourself about dialing in the heads to the tones you like. Grabbing that as a DI profile is extremely easy and satisfying.

All of this assuming your amp has a direct out of course, or perhaps you have a loadbox...

Hi guys,

I have my powered Kemper hooked up to a 2x12 cab for live use.
    Created some DI profiles from one of my amps and afterwards loaded a cabinet into the cab block. Did not merge my profiles.

In the output section I've enabled the "Monitor cab off" option, which - if I understand things correctly - means that I should never hear the cab simulation in the signal going to my external guitar cabinet. But if the "cab" section is enabled, then I'll have that cab sim on the main out.

That's exactly how it works when I'm in "Perform" mode.

But strangely enough, if I copy that same profile into "Browse" mode, then I can hear the cab simulation in my guitar cabinet - unless I disable the "cab" block.
    I've double checked, and yet - the "Monitor cab off" option is enabled, also while in Browse mode.

What am I missing here?!?

Cheers,
    Kasper

Just created my first profiles today, and was also surprised how easy it was.

My setup was a bit simpler though... I profiled my old JMP-1 preamp through the power tube of a Laney L5 Studio amp.
    For this test I just profiled the direct out of the Laney (no cab emulation) and made some DI profiles.

Referencing it all through a 2x12 cab in the room I think the results were incredibly close between the Kemper profile and reference amp setup.
    All in all I'm pretty excited, and really happy I gave it a shot!
    It means I can now take my old live tones (or something really similar at least) on the road for a band project I haven't gigged with since getting the Kemper.

Might get even better results with a reactive load box, but I don't currently have one...

Hi guys,

I've been running the latest public beta (5.5.0.13341b) without problems for a long time, but a few days ago I was forced to update my Rig Manager software.

Now the software cannot connect to my Kemper over USB, and in Windows 10 the Kemper is listed as "Unknown Device" with a driver issue.
    Anyone else had this problem, and knows how to solve it? I tried to download the latest RM software to re-install, but that only gives me another error early in installation (repair) process "The specified account already exists."

I'm getting a bit worried since I was just about to set up some performances for a live gig :(
    Hope I won't have to do that directly on the Kemper hardware....

@Vaughnfats

So, I was lucky enough to come across a "used" Analog Drive for a very reasonable price!
    I don't know what that guy was thinking... he sent along his original receipt with the trade, and the unit is barely 1 month old... and I think he never even plugged it in, the PSU was still unpacked in the box.
    He could probably have returned it to the shop for a full refund, but instead sold it to me for cheap...

Anyway.... LOVE the pedal as well. It seems to work really well in a mono loop on the Kemper (obviously in front of the amp block).

Only tested it with one profile so far, a TAF JMC800 on the edge of breakup... sounds KILLER! This is going to be very, very useful shaping tones going forward..

What Suhr Badger profile was that again? I don't recognize the "AS" prefix for profile vendor?

@Vaughnfats

Interesting!
    I also like to use pedals with the Kemper, and have been thinking of getting this one. Generally love stuff with presets.
    So you're using it in the loop (mono or distortion loop?). May I ask which profiles you generally like with external drive padals?

Love the update! Very cool new features indeed. I actually run a stereo enabled cabinet on stage for monitoring - so far always in mono, but it would be fun to have stereo monitoring live ;)

Question for Mr Kemper though;

What I *really* would love to see on the Kemper is multiple effects loops, so I can run some external stomps in front of the amp block and also external (stereo) stomps after.
    Would that even be physically possible to implement with the connections on the unit?

Here's the solution for this "issue". :) https://www.music-group.com/Ca…nterfaces/SRC2496/p/P0141

If you have the time I would really appreciate you elaborating on this point a bit!
    Assume I know (almost) nothing about clocks and spdif - what exactly does that piece of hardware do, and how does it help with the Kemper.

I ask because of this; I'm currently using spdif to record the direct signal from the Kemper, and for sending back that signal when re-amping.
    My "main" tone I still record analog because I want stereo effects. I'm using a 6i6 Focusrite USB interface.

I am remembering to set the 6i6 clock to spdif, making it a slave to the Kemper. And I am remembering to record in 44.1, 24bit.

The problem is that sometimes I just suffer from crackles and even drop-outs... to the point where I cannot do any work. Other days it just works perfectly.
    It's kind of driving me insane, because it's so random. Can't see that I'm doing anything different on the days where it fails to work properly.

The spdif cables are new, should be of a good enough quality... they are seated well in the Kemper etc etc... I've done a lot of checking ;)

On the product page of the piece of hardware you linked to they claim to be able to "High-precision quartz clock generator removes jitter and corrects off-tune, incorrect sample rates".
    If that's possible, then it would indicate that the crackles and drop-outs I'm seeing are not due to lost data...

Ok, did some more test and I can confirm a few things ;)

First of all - my main problem was that I was recording using the "alternate input" on the back of the Kemper (because I have the rack version). With high-gain tones like these that introduces a lot of noise.
    Secondly, there does seem to be a difference in turning down the rig volume and removing the boost in the EQ.

Check out this little sound clip. Same riff played 6 times:

1. "Beefy Rhythm", as provided in the pack with an EQ volume boost. Rig volume dialed back 5db
    2. "Beefy Rhythm", Boost in EQ removed
    3. "Sassy Drive"
    4. "The Crusher"
    5. "The Whip"
    6. "Tight Rhythm"

https://drive.google.com/file/…dJargQ1pwWi1BNFZnZlU/view

I'm happy with the quality of the tones now! Thanks again for the help Nick!

Ask away, im here to share my experience and help!

Thanks man, you're the best! Really appreciate all your help, and I promise not to abuse it.

I'm mostly a blues/rock kind of guy, mostly working with non-doubled takes, so I'm still trying to learn how to get proper metal tones down.
    I'm not really getting the tones I'm after (yet) and there seems to be quite a bit more to double/quad tracking than simply laying down the additional takes ;)

I'll give it another shot with some of the info you've provided and see how it goes ;)

When i test the profiles for sole listening and presentation purposes i ALWAYS leave guitars unprocessed in the DAW... Not even slight compression, eq, nothing... That would totally be unfair to the customers and listeners, and i know some of the guys selling the profiles do that, and i told myself i would never be that guy lol When i record something with edited profiles i always leave the values on here for everyone to see and try to tweak themselves... And these are all quad tracked, something that can really help the density and overall sound of your guitars, but you should be pretty tight with your playing if u want quad tracks to sound good... I played Music Man JP6 on here, PRS on rock test video and L3 in that short guitar instrumental... You can hear pack playthrough with both PRS and L3..
    In the future im gonna record playthroughs of the pack with as many guitars i can get my hands on lol

Awesome!

How do you pan your quad tracked guitars, if I may ask (sorry for all those questions) ;)

Thanks for posting those sound clips. I was tracking something yesterday using your profiles and had trouble getting them as clear as what you posted here.
    Could be my playing is somewhat sloppier than yours, but still.....

Is this a straight recording of the profiles, or did you apply any sort of processing in the DAW? And what guitar did you play?

I think I'll try to record the exact same riff and then compare, making sure I get a similar tone before moving on with my project. Something could be off in my setup...

Yes thats true, but i suggest turning the rig`s volume downfirst, because the rig just sounds sweeter and fuller with the eq volume on 2.5

Hmm, can you explain how that could be? Since the EQ is post-amp, basically the last thing going on in the rig, shouldn't removing it be the same as turning down the rig volume?
    I did tweak your profiles by removing that EQ boost, and did think they lost something... I just don't understand how that could be...

Just turn down the Kemper main volume, or the volume on the profile itself, and you`re good to go!

Yeah, it's not a big deal at all. Actually most of the inconvenience comes from the current limitations in the Kemper software.

I don't have my master volume connected to my main out, only the cab. Main goes FOH.. and when at home, to my AI.
    I've set my Kemper output settings so main out is 0.0db, with the "-12db" option checked. That just seems to work with most profiles and allows me to have a unity gain on my AI as well.

So I really just need to tweak the profile volume on each of your profiles. Should be a piece of cake - BUT... I store the profiles on my PC in RigManager, and only uploads what I need to the Kemper.
    Unfortunately, as you all know, we can only edit profiles on the Kemper itself. So I would have to upload all your rigs, tweak the volumes, and then drag them back to my PC.

Not complaining to you, I'll just do that, but it would have been a lot simpler if we were allowed to tweak simple properties like rig volume directly on the files store on the PC. Perhaps in the future ;)

Hi Nick,

Bought your Mesa pack a few days ago - and I'm totally loving it!!

In all honesty - I didn't find a single profile in the pack (well, maybe the Dreamy one ;)) that I didn't find useful, and instantly had fun jamming with.
    And what's more - they cover pretty much the entire range of tones I could be looking for. Everything from cleans to solo sounds.. all there!
    If I could own just one profile pack, this would get me a long long way. Stellar!

A few additional points of feedback:

I really love that you named the profiles! That might seem like a silly thing to point out, but with many other packs it's super confusing to remember which ones I liked and how they compare. With these names it's much easier. Cool idea indeed (wish you named the merger and DI ones as well though ;))

A minor downside - I think the profiles are very loud? The way I've set up my Kemper and recording gear they are all overloading my inputs on the AI. Other profiles generally seem at at bit lower output volume.
    I don't know if there are any guidelines, official or unofficial, between profile makes... but a more consistent level would help browsing different packs a lot.

Played them with my MusicMan L3 and a Les Paul so far - both sound good, although I prefer them with the L3.

Cheers,
    Kasper