Posts by SonicExporer

Ponder this question: There's nothing wrong with duplicating a tone manually from scratch, even from instructions, so why would it be wrong to use a tool like Bias to do it? The only difference being a greater chance the tones would match with a tool

People have been duplicating tones for years, including with tools like EQ matching, and I don't hear anybody complaining about that. So why would it be different to use a tool like Bias to duplicate a tone, regardless of origin (profile or not).

I see no issue at all with using Bias to replicate a profile tone. However, outside of personal use I would recommend some research into any potential legal IP aspects. I suspect it would be a stretch to apply any law, if any even existed, to a second-tier replication effort such as using Bias to replicate an already replicated amp profile. At the end of the day, there has to be standing and ascertainable damages enough to make any such pursuit even viable. And then there's geography aspects as IP is governed in different jurisdictions. The short answer is, IMO, there is nothing to worry about in practical reality. But still, I personally would not sell or distribute Bias matches of commercial profiles.

Sonic

It's what I recently talked about with commercial seller. That is his struggle with profiling as well. How do you tweak eq to minimize the issues you are having, sonic?
    Cheerios

You need to do various types of EQ shelving, notching and/or twisting. It really depends on the profile. I can't give a specific formula other than to say some of the congestion can be addressed in the midrange 1K-ish area (give or take 500hz) and the fizz can sometimes be shelved or notched to reduce, but for difficult profiles sometimes you have to do some twisting (postiive and negative notch very near each other).

All this is a royal pain in the arse that I wish Kemper would fix because we shouldn't have to be doing this. There is definitely something not right going on in the KPA. As soon as I have a chance I think I'm going to get one of my amps out of storage and bring it home just for the purpose of some testing to see if I can figure out more about what the heck is going on. I won't be able to blast anything and won't have access to the miic's & pre's I'm used to, but maybe I can at least glean more about what's going on. And at a minimum I'll be able to establish with certainty if indeed the KPA can replicate an amp or not. Every time I mention these issues it never fails that some folks chime in and say it's because I'm not profiling my own amp. Well, I'm going to put a fork in that excuse pretty soon as I'll be able to see first hand if that actually solves the issues or not. I think we know what the result is likely to be, but I'm going to stay optimistic and keep hoping anyway...

As usual, the differences we talk about.

I agree, even if this video was shot prior to improvements, the core problems some of us have been raising remain. That congested, raspy nature of the tone as compared to the real amp. There's also seems to be some strange hair/fizz on the top end (that may all be part of the rasp effect, who knows)

I can tolerate the congested aspect more than the gain "texture" issue since to me this is what makes the KPA sound less real than it otherwise would. I usually find myself have to play around with post EQ to try and correct these issues to an extent.

Unplug the KPA and plug any other modeler you have to insure that certainly the problem is from the KPA and not from something else in the connections/signal. If the problem persists with the other modeler, then you know the problem is somewhere less in the signal path.

Nothing else external to the DAW is on but the KPA. Right before I left Friday I turned the KPA off and rebooted the system and didn't seem to be getting the noise any more at that point.

I think you guys are likely onto the problem areas, if it isn't in the signal itself then it is probably attributed to either the signal pathing or clock.

Answers to questions so far:

- The KPA is set to Master Stereo for all outputs. And no Space is enabled anywhere.

- Yes, there are both SPDIF and analog connections from KPA to DAW.

- Yes, project is definitely 44.1kHz

I have one theory so far: Maybe someplace in the DAW interface, or within the project, the analog input is open as well, and white noise from whatever rig is enabled is bleeding in, which is somehow causing a phasing effect in the top end gain/white-space once I play back the song. That's about the only thing I can think of short of the problem being actually IN the signal from the KPA itself.

Sonic

Guys, right up front I need to disclose that I haven't yet had time to fully look into the following problem as I was in a rush to get home tonight. But I wanted to try and get some input before I go back to the studio on Monday...

I am hearing some totally weird, subtle phasing-like sound in the very top end of KPA tracks, guitar and bass both. It's not obvious when listening to a track by itself but becomes more apparent in the song. I've heard this before but was never able to quickly figure out what it was. It is ruining the tracks. Do you guys have any idea what may be causing this? Some setting in the KPA or maybe an interaction with something else? Sounds like a drunk mosquito flying around in the song is best way to describe it, and it seems more apparent if there is even the slightest amount of fret buzz going on.

I have no extreme settings dialed on the KPA, nor any effects. Just straight-up medium-gain amp profiles.

Sonic

@ashtweth, yeah, the US Festival Metal Fest. (Roku is a streaming internet device that I think has the US festival buried someplace inside one of the music channels....if not then YouTube has plenty of clips)

Just FYI: A really fun concert to watch is the US Festival from early 80's that had the Scorps. There were lots of great bands at that gig I was lucky enough to see real-time. I think that concert is actually on Roku, as well as YouTube. Halen, Scorps, Crue, Priest, QRiot, lots of bands were there. And an incredible showing by Triumph, just amazing how talented those 3 guys were, back when bands still had actual musicians with raw talent. LoL

What is the deal with the KPA on this fret buzz / phasing thing? I'm tying this anomaly to fret buzz but it is not the fret buzz itself causing things, rather there's something in the KPA that wants to latch onto certain frequencies or something and the end result is a very weird phasey kind of result. Like a pissed off mosquito is flying around drunk in the room.

I've read some other's making reference to this before but never really saw any discussion come of it. Anybody know what is going on with this quirk? What aspect of the KPA is doing this? Gain, compressor, sampling oddity, something else??? Could be any number of things but it renders the track useless and you can't always detect it until you are done recording and listening back in a mix. Then you have the drunk mosquito in your song.

Sonic

Very cool. How many guitar tracks did you lay down, and what kind of post was done or was that mostly just direct KPA ?

Sonic

Well, I tried the Amp Pig Dirt profile just for fun and wow did that ever turn out strange. The KPA is super sensitive to fret buzz, I noticed that before even with guitars. And when I listen back to the bass track in the mix it has a "phasey" sound going on, which appears to be created by the fret buzz accentuation. Really strange. So I recorded another track using a SansAmp to could A/B against and no such issues at all with the SansAmp. I even hear the "phasey" issue from the KPA when playing guitar at times but it really comes out noticeable with the bass track.

Anyway, not planning to delve too deeply into the bass track quirk just yet. Soon though...

Sonic

@metalhorse442 , thanks for the link.

I was also just looking in the latest Kemper Bass Rig pack (contains both v1 & v2) and there are a bunch of profiles called "Brass Driver". Is that the SansAmp Bass Driver ? If so, any idea which version? There isn't any documentation with the pack that tells what the pseudo-names map to....

Thanks,

Sonic

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I actually get quite a good sound using a Sansamp. But the first few KPA profiles I tried weren't in the same solar system of sound quality. I just need to spend a bit of time running through profiles.

Guys, I'm under a time crunch at the moment and have spent so much unanticipated effort screwing around with guitar tones in the KPA over the last few months that I wasn't able to put much effort toward investigating bass tones. If any bass players out there can recommend a few really good sounding hard rock bass profiles for recording purposes, or something in the tone realm of Geezer Butler (Sabbath, in particular Dio-Era Sabbath) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sonic