Posts by plexi50

When I startup the Kemper, it takes over from my audio interface, and I have to switch them back on the computer. I do not need to use the Kemper audio interface. How do I disable it from starting up at all?

I see others have requested this on the cabinet section, which would be excellent. The master out Hi/Lo cut works well for me. I would love to see the implemented on the monitor out, since that most often feeds a different source that may require a slightly different shelf. This would also allow us to use stereo master out and monitor out with individual cuts as needed.

I think the current selection sounds pretty good and I am able to get really close to my own pedals, with a couple of exceptions.
    #1: The TS9 model needs to be able to go cleaner/lower on the gain knob. Even at 0, you cannot do the classic 0 gain/volume 10 setting.
    #2: A better fuzz model, I love Tonebenders, so that would be great, but at least being able to lower the gain on the current fuzz model would be more useful.

I know you can clean up with you guitar knob, but the gain structure on these, and perhaps some of the other pedals needs to be more flexible to match real world pedal settings.

HP and LP filters in the CAB setting would make it easy to tailor profiles for live/FRFR use. This is the most useful thing that could be added to make profiles feel more amp like. Granted, it can be done now, but requires using an EFX slot to do so, and it would be so effective in the CAB settings, much better than the current HIGH and LOW filters, which are not very precise.

If you want a warmer sound, go with Alnico II. If you would like a brighter tone, Alnico V. You may also want to try this dead easy mod, 50's wiring.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/b…-and-tricks/lespaulwiring

I use it on my Standard with Alnico II pickups and it sounds glorious. You can work the volume and tone without creating mud. It's a new world that I wish I had known about years ago.

I have 4 Les Pauls, all with different pickups. BB, 57 classic (very good), but I will go out on a limb and recommend trying these.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GF…e-Neck-Pickup_p_4152.html

Good price and they have replaced the pickups on 2 of my Gibsons. I also have a unpotted set, which sounds great at low volume, but if you get anything cranking, will squeal. The unpotted set are my go to clean sound. Honestly, I like the GFS pickups better than the Seymour and Dimarzio's I have tried (mostly their mid priced lines).

Just out of interest: Why do you think would that be?

Users of the DXR8 for example haven't reported about difficulties with higher gain sounds IIRC.
    Of course an 8" speaker wouldn't be bass exaggerated and more lean in the bass territory for sure.

Agreed. To my ears, and granted I have never used those types of sounds with real amps or the Kemper, I think both the missing low end and volume (Laney claims 200 watts) would be unsatisfactory. I am talking about full on metal-agro style profiles. Most likely, the rest of the band would be a higher volume as well. If a player needed a loud cab on stage, the Laney would not keep up. Personally, if I was playing in a situation that was louder, I would use the house monitors, keep the stage volume to a minimum, then use my Laney for just a little boost to round out my personal comfort zone. I do use some crunchy Marshall and Hi Watt type profiles, and those work really well for me.

I have the Laney, and for my use, it is perfect. Mind you, I do not use any high gain sounds, and I think (but not sure) it would not be suited for high gain use. It is an 8" speaker and would be very stressed with those types of sounds IMHO. I use it in conjunction with my studio monitors, or with the stage monitors. I can boost my guitar volume and get a very comfortable mix, either recording or playing live. It has a bit of a mid bump compared to studio monitors. It shines with the types of amps I normally use, single speaker designs like Champs, Princetons, Deluxe, VOX and other brands of similar ilk. I play Tele 75% of the time (various designs, single coil, P90, and humbuckers) and Les Pauls or 335 type guitars the other 25%. I like that is has bass and treble EQ for on the fly adjustments to the room. It does controlled feed back very well (very handy when tracking with studio monitors) and feels good to play. It hangs fine with a controlled volume band. If you play with a slamming drummer, maybe not. The size is perfect, very light and easy to move.
    Also ( I have not used this yet), it you can run and tube amp into to, and turn a small Champ into a louder stage amp, with an effects loop and DI to front of house. I suppose you could also use the DI to make direct profiles (has a defeat able cab emulation). I will have to try it sometime, just busy with other projects right now.
    I am sure the higher priced options sound even better, but this was priced and sized right for me. If you can try one out, I highly recommend it as a more affordable, smaller solution.

I use a EHX Soul Food, in buffered mode, but almost always as a clean, EQ boost or maybe just a hint of breakup. Never into high gain as described. These types of pedals, and I assume a real Klon would be the same, seem to work best as clean or very low gain boosts that add a warmth and clarity to the tone. I leave mine on all the time with Gibsons, and with my Tele's, I will just cut the tone to taste. Never had a problem. To my ears, no pedal will make a significant difference into a dimed amp, save for perhaps a germanium fuzz.