Posts by MOCMunkeh

I've owned my Kemper for a little over a year now and my justification for getting one is that i will never need to buy another amp ever again, maybe a handful of profiles but not actual tube amps.

This may sound like a completely insane position for some people who love tubes amps and i fully understand why, but before i bought the Kemper id played less than 10 real tube amps and so i didn't really have a reference point as to how a real tube amp should behave and sound, i spent at least the 10 months prior to me buying my Kemper researching and listening to reviews of various competitors of the Kemper (Helix, Bias, AxeFX etc...) and saw all the comments from people with real experience praising the Kemper and so eventually pulled the trigger on it!

I found a few stock profiles that i liked and a few from TAF bundle that i got with the Kemper as i bought it from Andertons in the UK who work with Andy so i got a bundle chucked in, but i recently bought the EVH pack from TopJimi and they blew me away! for the music i play they absolutely slay!

I have used various picks over the years but only really standard shape and profile ones. I have found recently that i really like the Dunlop Max Grip 1mm, i should really try and use some other picks as i hold my pick sideways and don't use the pointed part of the pick to contact the string as i am not as accurate at picking out individual strings with the pointy end!

Does anyone else hold a pick this way? It's probably poor technique but then again it works for me so who's to say its poor? ?(

If i'm honest I feel like i should have been born in Australia and not the UK, the UK for me has always been synonymous with boredom and the colour grey.......... :D:D

I used to have an educational book as a kid that had a map of the world in the back of it and over each country was an animal that was native to that country, so over Africa you had lions and gazelle and hyena's and Canada had bears and moose and the UK had a Cod.......

You are lucky you don't live here haha

I suggest taking your dad along and auditioning a few speakers. What's good for me may not be good for him. Look at large diaphragm speakers, kick drums go very low and move quite a lot of air. 12" might do, but if he really wants some depth to the kick, go for a 15" one.

Yeah i agree with you on the 15 inch cone, we don't have anywhere we can really go and audition speakers to be honest so its kinda hard! but i do think a 15 inch powered speaker will be more than punchy enough when playing drums through them.

@nightlight

Thanks for the reply buddy!

I know the DXR 15's will give a lot of low end being a 15' cone but do they move a lot of air? He wants that real low punchy sub sound that makes your organs shake! Normally you would have dedicated subs for this but I personally think the DXR's will be more than low and punchy enough to do that but can they achieve that sub kick sound without the need for dedicated sub bins?

Thanks!

Hey @mauritzSA thanks for the advice!

What is the benefit of using the Behringer over something like a focusrite scarlett 18i20?

And what e-drum module does your drummer use? only reason i ask this is you are limited as to how many triggers you can have plugged in to a single drum module, and i know you can slave a secondary module in to a master module to expand the number if trigger inputs you can use but sadly i'm using a td-25 which doesn't have midi in.

I know you can get certain devices that will allow you to connect 2 modules with midi out together but what i want to know is, is there a module out there that has more that the (what seems to be standard) 10 trigger inputs.

Ahh okay i get you, as i said i am not up to scratch on this stuff so i'm learning as much as i can from folks like you!

I hear latency mentioned a lot and i have no idea what has a negative effect on latency so if you have any advice on that too that would be great, is there anything i can do that will lower the latency?

The Macbook I am using is old so i don't imagine that's going to do me any favors.

okay, so at the moment the kit consists of :

-- Bass drum
    -- Snare
    -- 2x rack toms
    -- 2x floor toms
    -- Hi-Hat
    -- 3 crash cymbals
    -- Ride

I am trying to get some of the 80's style drums going, sort of rick allen style processed drum sounds and i would like to trigger some other samples (reverse snares and backing track sections) but they don't have to be done through SD3, they can be done through the DAW.

When you say stacking and bleed, how does that have an effect on how many outputs you have?
    Apologies for my limited knowledge on this, I am only just getting in to music production and SD3 I have had for all of a day! :)

Thanks for the advice @lightbox

Hey All,

I am trying to use e-drums to trigger SD3, so far i get that i will be going from the Roland TD-25 head via USB to the Macbook which will trigger the sounds in SD3 but i need to come back out and go to a desk.

Now ideally id like to have control on the desk over every element of the kit (i.e tom 1, tom 2, snare etc), so do i need to come out of the Macbook via USB into an interface, then split the signal from there to multiple outs assigned to each of the triggers and into the various channels on a desk like you would with a real drum kit's mic's?

TIA

@Gizmo When you started mentioning stuff from the 80's it shows what a wealth of knowledge the two of you posses! I was born in 92'. :D

Have fun on your bike though sounds like fun! I wish i could do the same but i don't have a bike and it doesn't matter what direction you head in the UK it's always raining! :D

@Monkey_Man i knew it would be unlikely that the HDD was completely un-repairable but it was corrupted to the point that the quickest fix was deleting the contents and putting a new os on it, you would really have to screw with a HDD to do physical damage to it!

I am so glad i have it running now as it means i can make the most of the KPA! Believe it or not since owning the KPA i haven't owned a PC or laptop so i have not been able to add new profiles to it or properly make use of it for any recording. I am now going to focus on honing my recording skills as its the one side of music i have never really had the opportunity to play around with as i have always been a gigging musician.

I will inevitably have more questions for you guys in the future! :D

Hey guys!

I love the fact that my "cry for help" thread turned in to you two reminiscing about old hardware/software!

Definitely shows the level of experience you two can offer!

I got it working! It was a long process as i'm learning as i go, like i said before i have never dabbled with Mac and so i had a lot to learn! I ended up installing the new drive and getting a copy of OSX Yosemite on a flash drive to install on it, but when i booted the mac up it couldn't see the drive and flashed up a folder with a question mark which i found out means it cant find the boot disk which makes sense. It turns out the Original drive was not permanently damaged and i managed to get the OS installed on that first and then install the OS on to the second drive through USB after formatting it. I didn't have a hard drive enclosure to put the new drive in but i did have an external drive not currently being used so i popped open the casing and used it like a HDD enclosure and it did the trick.

The Mac is running now but i have a feeling it still needs the RAM upgrading as my dad purchased SD3 yesterday and with only SD3 open it is using 3.48gb of the available 4gb of RAM!

The max this particular model macbook pro can take is 8gb of 1066mhz DDR3 8500 204pin RAM so im in the market for that now but considering how old this ram is it isn't cheap!

I have found some online but for two 4gb sticks from amazon its around £75 so that's the next thing on the shopping list!

Thanks again for all your help guys!

@808illest did you cut power to the PC when it was running? I remember Corsair having lifetime warranty on their Neutron GTX SSD's as apparently that's common problem, either down to a power cut in your house or someone pulling the mains plug from your PC.

You guys have so many fail safes in place and backups you would all fit in doing my job! :D

I agree SSD's are the way to go for booting up programs and the OS but id always run a secondary HDD to store all the other files on.

My only issue is a decent quality 2tb SSD will set me back £300+ and that just ain't happening! :P

SSD's come standard in macs now i believe so i don't know what the expected life span is of them?

My 2tb HDD comes tomorrow i just need to get to the studio to get the other mac on to install the OS to this new drive.

Hey all,

My old man plays e-drums (which I despise, I was a drummer before i started guitar ^^ ) and he currently runs the whole thing through a P.A sitting behind him on stage.

This P.A consists of subs and tops that are extremely dated and weigh a ton, he is 60 and lugging that around isn't going to do him any good! We mainly play small pub gigs and so when stage space is at a premium its not ideal for him to have a full P.A plus a small powered mixer on stage as well as two guitarists, bass player and a singer.

What i'm thinking is maybe a pair of DXR15's or something similar on the stage either side of him would reduce his overall footprint and still give him the sound he want's.

To clarify he uses triggers on a 9 piece acoustic kit with mesh heads on it, so its not like its a small frame Roland drum kit! :|

TIA

The HDD really needed upgrading anyway as it was only 500gb, and there was nothing i wanted to keep on it in the first place! :D

I literally tried everything from startup that you can, I tried the following:

-- Resetting SMC
    -- Restting PRAM/NVRAM
    -- Disk Repair from Utilities
    -- Reinstalling the OS from Utilities
    -- TimeMachine back up from Utilities
    -- Booting in single user mode

I even tried to add a use through terminal using sudo dscl . -create/Users/Admin/username, and that didn't work either as it literally couldn't find the file path for users which only confirmed my suspicion that something in the user build files was corrupted.

Whenever i tried to boot in to a specific mode (i.e safe mode, single user mode) before i got to the login screen a black screen would flash up for less than a second with an error on it, because i couldn't read it quickly enough i took a video of the screen and paused it at the point the error flashed up and it read, BuildUser () :error building a user of type 0x20010008.

When i saw this it confirmed it was the user build files that had been corrupted, meaning if any of the startup options required me to login for them to diagnose and fix any errors. If i had known about TT8 (TT9.6 now apparently) i would probably been able to save the drive, but for the same price i can buy a 2tb HDD and get a fresh install.