Posts by MOCMunkeh

Thanks @musicmad!

i have tried a bunch of stuff but my issue it seems is with the line 6, depending what you have plugged into the various inputs changes what speakers are turned on! the line 6 works in weird ways!

Does anyone else use the line 6 FH 1500 on this forum? i you do please chime in as to what the hell this thing is doing!

Hey All,

I have setup the KPA to work in W/D/W with my line 6 firehawk 1500, at least i believe i have! Il first explain how i have it setup as im not 100% its correct.

I have the direct out on the back of the KPA going in to the guitar in on the FH and have turned off all the processing on the FH, so its not coloring the tone what so ever, I have also turned off the global EQ settings on the FH which i am assuming is how you get it to run FRFR?

I then have the two main outs (L+R) on the KPA going to the monitor in's (L+R) on the F.

In the KPA output menu i have set it up so the direct out is set to "stack" and the main outs are set to Delay/Reverb.

The FH works in some weird ways and dependent on what you have plugged in to the inputs it will turn on different speakers. And through the app for the FH for this config i have to turn the guitar output level all the way down to zero or it sounds really weak like the only output is the FX and not the stack? the problem is i cant tell which speakers are or aren't working as they are in such close proximity to each other, that's not to say it doesn't sound good!

I have not tested many profiles like this as i tried it with one of the TopJimi EVH profiles more specifically the first 1984 profile and it sounds good but i don't know if its running W/D/W as its sounds good regardless! If i switch to any other profile it sounds awful!

i know my explanation isnt the most technical or concise but if any one has any advice whatsoever it would be much appreciated! and if you need any more info just ask!

Hey all!

I have an un-powered KPA rack that i am using with my Line 6 firehawk 1500, and so far i have it connected with a single cable coming out of the kemper main out into the line 6 monitor in (mono) but from what i have read online this will only use the 12" speaker and the horn, and not the 4 coaxial speakers?

I would like to use all 6 and have the option to adjust the settings in the KPA output menu so i can set it up as W/D/W as and when i want!

would anyone be able to advise me where i plug stuff in? Im not all that clued up on this side of things and so any help would be appreciated!

interesting to see what you think of it if you have a proper play with it! I was thinking of picking one up myself as i run my KPA through a Line 6 Firehawk 1500! The idea of not having to buy a 12 string and a decent electro acoustic for the sake of a few songs doesnt seem worth it but, having a second hand one of these for £500+ doesnt seem to bad!

I have only recently bought my KPA (had it 3 months) and the reason i bought it was for all the reasons you specified above its convenient and has everything i will ever need in it! I got the un-powered rack and the remote and as much as it cost me £1700 for all the effects i use you would struggle to have the versatility that the KPA offers in a tube amp!

As soon as you start adding pedals to a set up, as you may well know the price can jump significantly and a lot of guitarists i personally know have spent more on pedals than the amp itself! the other reason i bought a kemper is because i don't just play one specific genre of music, I play everything from death metal to country and blues so i would need a few amps to cater to all my needs and that would be a damn sight more expensive then the kemper! obviously you can get a multitude of tones out of one amp but a a Mesa MKII-c doesn't sound like a VOX AC-30 and therefore the kemper satisfied that need for an abundance of amps.

So depending on the sort of guitarist you are and the style/styles of music you intend to play i think the kemper is the best thing since sliced bread!

Just to add to the FRFR aspect of this question i run my KPA through a line 6 firehawk 1500 which i also use as a back up (if need be) and i feel it gives that amp in the room feel that everyone searches for! bearing in mind the only other thing i have played a KPA through are an orange cab and a Atomic CLR wedge, so my ear isnt as seasoned as some on this forum!

At the moment he doesn't actually need the DXR15's he can carry his damn PA himself!

So i am going to need SD3 and the laptop that's a given but the interface is where i am not sure on...

from what i have read from you guys to send to FOH in groups/individual im going to need a fair few outs on the interface and also i will need outs for monitoring (possibly) so would the Focusrite 18i20 be the right one for me? or is there a similar rack mountable interface that ticks all the boxes that would be cheaper?

i may even buy the laptop myself as in the market for one to record my KPA :)

WOW you guys smashed this one out of the park! thanks for all the advice from everyone its much appreciated and has helped my understanding of how MIDI works greatly!

obviously the MOTU you mentioned @Monkey_Man is all singing and all dancing but my old man isn't looking to spend ££££ on gear (unfortunately) i put a basket together on Thomann for him which included what he would need and with the cost of the laptop it came to a tidy £2500, which is not an amount of money he has right now! But at least the information you have all given me/him has made it clear as to what he needs to get the most versatile and best sounding set up!

is the general consensus that triggering a plugin like SD3 or SSD from e-drums the best way to go?
    I personally hate the Roland drum sounds and would rather spend more money to get the best possible sound!

FYI the basket was as follows not entirely sure if the interface i selected would be adequate!

Yamaha dxr15's x2
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    SD3

plus the laptop which is £500

i suggested the DXR15's as like i said in the post he take a full PA with him where ever he goes and i inevitably have to carry it!

thanks for all your replies! a lot of the terminology you are using is hurting my little brain! doesn't help that i'm at work!

something i forgot to mention but probably should have, is that he isn't flush with cash! he has already shelled out a fair amount for what he already has so ideally i want a relatively cheap means of doing this with usable results! if its straight up not possible then that isn't a problem as i expected it wouldn't be cheap.

EDIT: based on what you said above @lightbox you could send individual signals from the interface to go to multiple channels on the FOH desk like you would a traditional mic setup?

so would using USB straight from the Roland into a laptop using the ASIO4ALL drivers be low enough latency or would it be better to get a midi controller i.e something like the MOTU micro lite?

we don't actually have a laptop yet but a friend of mine bought a laptop about 3 years ago that has a pretty good spec as it was made for gaming it has a 2tb ssd so more than enough to take SD3 and also 32gb of ram with an i7 and he wants to sell it for £500!
    personally i think that's the best option for him laptop wise as to go and get a mac of equivalent spec would cost him significantly more!

thanks for the advice!

Hey all,

Firstly can i say i have looked about and cant find a lot about the following query, more specifically using e-drums in a live environment and so the only reason i ask on a predominantly guitar based forum is i know there are a few guys on here that aren't just guitar guys and have masses of experience in music as a whole, so here goes....

I am in a band with my old man and he insists on using e-drums as he hates acoustic! (makes me sick just typing it!) Now as i am originally a drummer this goes against everything i know to be true!, that's not to say i don't see the value in e-drums as a means to practice but i personally cant feel the instrument like i do with acoustic and the only way to describe it is like playing a guitar hero guitar. but i digress......

the reason i made this thread is because he wants to run his Roland TD-25 in to SD3, this was on my advice as the quality of the sounds on SD3 are far far better than those on the Roland units, even the pricey TD-50KV.

Is there anyone on who can advise as to what he will need to get the lowest latency signal into a DAW on a windows laptop from the Roland TD-25 unit?
    i have read a lot about using a half decent MIDI controller and the ASIO4ALL drivers for windows to get it running smoothly without jitter, and latency low enough that it wont effect playing the kit live, but i am not clued up enough on this subject at all!

and also what should he be playing all this through? he currently takes a full PA system to every rehearsal which consists of both tops and bins and a powered desk!
    would a FRFR system i.e the DXR15's be enough to cope with e-drums!

P.s sorry for the obscenely long post about drums!

i see what you are saying @V8guitar but its an FRFR speaker but with a built in backup encase the kemper goes down, unlikely i know but still something that would be good for piece of mind as i dont have any other option as far as back up rigs go! and as far as the size goes i thought the firehawk was bigger than it is, given the fact it has 6 speakers in it! but as far as form factor goes they are not too far apart!

i dont know anything about warranties for the firehawk il have to look into that but i believe the warranty for the DXR's is like 7 years right? @Zappledan

Im steering toward the fire hawk more than the dxr's but i want everyone's opinion as i know there is a wealth of knowledge on these forums and you guys are far more knowledgeable then me, bearing in mind i was the guy that hit things at the back before i picked up a guitar!

okay guys i really need your advice now!

i contacted andertons yesterday to confirm when i would receive the CLR and again they don't know and haven't herd form atomic as to when they expect to receive the shipment. I dont want to wait any longer as my band are being asked to book gigs and i cant say yes as i dont have a gigable set up!

so,...........

do i swap out the CLR for the line 6 firehawk or 1/2 dxr 10's?

I have weighed up the pros and cons of both based on my own personal opinion and il list below,

Firehawk pros:
    1) Built in FX and amps for backup
    2) 1500w! more than powerful enough to compete with anything.
    3) 6 speakers so can 'apprently' run a wet/dry/wet setup (im not 100% sure on wet/dry/wet setups)
    4) built in bluetooth (may not be a big plus but its good for practicing for me anyway)
    5) its only £749.99
    6)it looks like a guitar cab and i can sit my kemper rack on top of it!

Firehawk Cons:
    1) it weighs around 30kg! (im only 24 so i cant complain really)
    2) i cant find any much in the way of reviews on the thing and have not heard a great deal on these forums about it.

DXR10 Pros:
    1) only 15 kg!
    2) 1100w again more than loud enough
    3) highly reviewed
    4) only £445 so i could get 2 for the price i paid for the CLR

DXR10 Cons:
    1)not the best looking on stage (for me personally anyway)
    2) I would have to get something to sit the Kemper rack on.

As i got my setup on finance with Andertons i have to match the price so with either of these it would leave me with a difference of like £100+, meaning i could add some extras that i could do with!

if Andertons told me i was going to receive the CLR next week guaranteed id would be okay with that but i have they have no idea when i will be getting it and i cant wait forever!

im calling andertons again today to find out whats is going on!

Can i just say this is hands down one of the most informative threads i have ever read regarding FRFR/GRFR and amplification in general!

All participants that have shared their views and knowledge on the subject are clearly well versed in this and i want to say thank you! This thread has filled some of the gaps in my own knowledge of FRFR/GRFR.

This has reassured me that my decision to use my KPA through a Marshall MS-2 was the right decision as it will make the most of the cabinet simulation.......just kidding! :D

I am currently waiting for my Atomic CLR Neo wedge to be delivered which i initially intended to use for backline, but since reading a few posts regarding the CLR i may use it as a wedge in front of me as il be going through FOH and il be able to hear myself a lot clearer if the CLR is in front of me!

That's what i have been doing, 'mouthing' the notes i'm playing without actually singing them and like you said using my vocal cavity to match the notes i'm playing but not actually singing, but my problem is, is its just not loud enough to match the volume of my amp so when i switch it on to use it my level is dropped substantially and the volume is no longer audible within the rest of the band?

Maybe the i could use a better quality vocal mic as im using cheap behringer mics supplied at the studio at present and they are not the most powerful of mics.

do you think its worth me picking up a small clip on mic like the one you are supposed to get with it and see if it makes a difference?

cheers for the advice!