Posts by grappagreen

Hi,

The sync you refer relates to the clocking of digital data as it moves through connected devices.

Given that you're not recording anything from the KPA you will have no issues as sync is not important as no data is moving.

You will not encounter any issues with time alignment.

I haven't looked at the manual but ideally you should (if possible) set the KPA as a word click slave and have your interface as master. Then you can just leave everything as is. If not you still won't have any issues in your use case.

Regards,

Simon

Basically :)

I've even dug into some of the data on the various sites and even then phrases like 'some merged profiles are included' is what I find..

Think it might be time to bring my FRFR project forward (and hide it from the wife) to get over this issue!

Si

Is it just me but I so wish commercial KPA profilers would list clearly which products contain direct/merged profiles...

I'm looking to buy some and I want direct/merged but trying to clarify this is like pulling my teeth out!

Si

HI all,

Appreciate an bit of insight/experience with the above.

I will predominately be using my KPA with my existing cabs and hence I'd rather be using merged profiles to give me the most flexibility further down the line. I may well move to FRFR cabs on stage however won't push the button on this for a while at least due to cost!

Having done some research on the commercial offerings for the most part these are either Studio profiles or DI and even those that do offer some merged tend to be a subset of the total profiles on offer.

I read that it is possible to combine DI profiles with the cabs from merged profiles should the need arise and I wondered how well this works? I did also see that it's possible to purchase cab/mic IR profiles and use these - this is a bit beyond a philistine like me at the moment but I'd be interested to understand how well this works?

Appreciate any advice.

Regards,

Simon

I'll chime in here as I'm pretty new to the KPA. Bear in mind that I bought the KPA for live use predominately and would seldom print FX when recording anyway.

1. Are the FX in the Kemper any good - imho yes. They vary of course but nothing that can't deliver great results with tweaking and effort (I do think this is a critical point!)

2. Are they as good as my old outboard - no. But then I used a couple of PCM 80's for delay based FX/reverb so I wouldn't expect them to be and built a pedal board up over the years with the best of what was available. A treadmill I could never get off however... I just think it's unrealistic to expect this imho. I do think that they will improve over time and am comfortable if they don't.

3. Will I replace me old rig completely with the KPA - absolutely

Do I feel that the sound I got out of my old rig FX was better? - yes at the moment but I have lots of tweaking to do and spent years with my legacy gear. I owe it to the KPA to do the same. Do I feel that anyone in the audience would notice/give a damn - NO! I actually believe that the sound I present to an audience going forward will certainly be better and way more consistent.

I absolutely respect that my opinions will be different to others and this is just my opinion. Life (for most of us!) is a compromise and as such the benefits to me offered by moving to a one-stop KPA solution offset any disadvantages. I'll take convenience, consistency, integration and simplicity over what I had before and as I say I actually believe that for my requirements I will ultimately end up with a better sound as an end result anyway! The shared EQ on my Bogner Blue/Red channels caused me no end of frustration - I don't have to worry about this any more with the KPA.

Will I sell any of my gear? No - but then I am emotionally attached to it and don't need to! I don't feel I will be wheeling it out any time soon however..

If you're wedded to your outboard then the KPA integrates nicely anyway so you can have it all!

Regards,

Si

I ran these up last night and they sound superb. I've got the merged pack and ran them through a V30 loaded 4 x 12.

Looks like I will be leaving my Ecstacy at home in future :)

I have to say the prices for Guido's profiles is such that I think I'll be purchasing a load more of these...

Si

So I got my KPA last weekend and have been busily reading the manuals and playing around.

Managed to get a couple of spare hours and decided I'd take it down the studio to crank the thing up through the PA to stretch its legs a bit and satisfy my curiosity about using FRFR speakers..

Fired it up and tbh my initial thought was 'mmm this thing's gonna take a bit of tweaking'

Then I recalled some posts extolling the virtues of the MB profiles for live use so I promptly loaded the first one up... then the second... you get the drill..

Word had got around the place and after about 10 minutes there were 5 guitarists in the room and I was doing a Kemper demo! It got to the point of embarrassment..oh it can do this, and this and this... laughable really..

Lets just say that at least two of them will be purchasing one of these and that Mr Britt's profiles are beautiful..respect..

Whilst my heart says I should keep hold of my amp collection I reckon the're going to be gathering a fair bit of dust.

Gig in three weeks so plenty of work to do!

I'm a happy camper so far :)

Si

Agreed but my understanding is that this could only be feasible when using merged profiles as the cabdriver algo (or whatever it is!) is cpu intensive and hence the KPA cannot do this for more than one output.

I'm really hoping that Kemper could implement this for merged profiles as it would be killer.

Regards,

Si

Great stuff.

Looks like you've ticked most of my boxes with your experience. To be honest I'm prepared to trade off a little of the 'real amp' feel for all of the convenience factors and the fact that hopefully the people who matter out front get a decent sound!

Regards,

Simon

Hi,

New to the KPA and just getting my feet wet at the mo.

I have a coupe of quick questions;

1. Is the Merged Rig pack available on the downloads section of the site already included in firmware v 5 or do I need to import in order to access these?
    2. I'm trying to find some merged profiles to purchase - can anyone give me a heads up on the best places to go for these?

Appreciate any help.

Regards,

Simon

Hi Kevin,

If I understand you right you want the cabinet profile ON when you are plugged into the monitor output?

The only factor influencing this is the Output setting 'Montor Cab Off'. If this is set the KPA will use the 'CabDriver' emulation i.e. a simulated removal of the cab/mic element of the sound. This is to allow Studio Profiles i.e. those which do not 'know' the difference between the direct and fully mic'd sound to produce a simulated output without the cab/mic. Note that is a simulation and hence the reason we have Direct and Merged profiles as they are more 'accurate'.

If you are using a merged profile and want the cabinet on at all times for your FRFR speaker plugged into the monitor out then you need to select 'Output' and make sure that 'Monitor Cab Off' is not on. Once you've done this then the whole profile is sent to both Main and Monitor outputs.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Hi,

Just a note to say hello - new KPA user (got it yesterday) and having a hoot so far!

Regards,

Simon

+1 for me on this.

I did read a post of a similar nature that advised this was not possible due to cabdriver processor requirements however as per the original post I want to run merged profiles and hence this eliminates processor overhead issues/limitation of cabdriver.

The ideal change (for me) would be the ability to be able to route to monitor and direct out (L&R) of merged rig with cabinet disabled and main outputs L&R to FOH with the cabinet enabled.

Regards,

Simon