Posts by 7970b444c06f3849da7fdc0912a985ced7b0c7ba

Hi,

I’m selling 2 Yamaha DXR10. One comes with a Yamaha cover.
    Both work perfectly, minimal signs of use. They have not been used very loud.

I’m selling them because I changed system.
    Sold also separately.

I can ship but would prefer pick up in Berlin.

Please make me an offer.

Do you place the KPA delay in the same position as the Timeline (before or after the amp)? That can change the dynamics of the delay a lot. As mentioned, Grid has a similar effect.

I really like the KPA delays. They sound great. At home I can easily dial in the sound I’m looking for. But I end up using my El Capistan instead when I play live.

I tend to adjust settings while I play live to match the room, my mood or the song.

I normally only adjust Time, feedback and mix. Even though those parameters are directly accessible on the KPA I can’t manage to adjust the sound as quick as I can with the El Capistan. I suspect this is because of the range/speed and feel of the encoders and the lack of a clear reference.

Thanks Kemper! the reverbs sound great :) I'm a big fan of spring reverbs and this one is amazing (better than my Big Sky!).

I can't turn reverbs (or other FX) off anymore on the KPA if they are loaded in the reverb slot. Switching on/off from the remote works fine. It's not that I WANT to turn the reverbs off! But I thought it's good to mention this.

As others have mentioned it seems that the knobs are not working:

Reverb Slot: not working on any FX type

Mod slot: not working on reverbs (mix&time), working on other FX typs

Hi!

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

The model is Shure 215. I connected it directly wired to the KPA.

I didn’t consider that isolation is important in order to avoid excessive IEM volumes. But I will definitely keep this concern in mind for the next time.

In my case the gig was with quiet drums and almost acoustic on-stage volume. I think open IEM would have been safe for my ears .

Headphone volume in this “isolated” setup was -15 dB. (Profile (clean-crunch) volume is average or below) I never needed to push in order to hear myself and I played much more relaxed and controlled. That was really great.

With amps or KPA through a monitor I sometimes find it hard to find the balance between “don’t hear myself” & “too loud”. I was surprised that it felt really comfortable through IEM.

Hi!

I have used IEM yesterday for the first gig ever. I had never had as much control over my sound in a concert. I really liked it.

I ran the IEM directly from the headphone out on the Kemper. I used it only to monitor myself. (The band is not using IEM)

I know... I should send everything I want to hear on my IEM.

But for simplicity: are there open IEM or sleeves? I’m using Shure in ears with the rubber sleeves. The isolation was a bit to much. I would love to hear the band, the room and the audience a bit more.

Thanks

This is only relevant if you hear a lot from FOH.

For example if the monitor and FOH speakers point in opposite directions there can be phase cancellations. The mixed sound your hear from the FOH speakers and monitors might feel weird and sound hollow.

If the monitoring system is set up properly it should already be in-phase...but very often it is not.

It really depends on many factors. But if it sounds weird I always ask the engineer to flip the phase of the monitor signal. very often that resolves the issue.

@'Wheresthedug I totally share your opinion.

I have several times tried to suggest what would be in my opinion massive improvements for many users, without affecting in a negative way the other users.
    I really like my Kemper. But it is always the same... the answer is always:
    A) you can already do it, or
    B) nobody needs that.
    Both points, as you also demonstrated, are simply not true. I honestly give up. I keep my Kemper because it is good, but it’s a waste of time to share experience and feedback to help to make it better.

I hope that the lock function will be updated at some point.
    The reason why I use the lock button is not that I don’t want to store the performance with the correct effects in all slots. The lock button allows us to apply changes (during a gig/rehearsal) to effects to all slots (and performances). This makes it much more similar to working with pedals and has less the character of a programmable multi fx unit.
    For some people programming is the way to go, others prefer to be more flexible and spontaneous.

Try doing it at higher volume, even on a lower gain amp. There'll definitely be a pop sound when you pull the jack out. Now imagine that being miced up and fed into a PA. Disaster!

You are missing the point. We can agree that there is always some kind of pop noise when unplugging the cable from the input of a tube amp or other device.
    But let's compare 2 situations:

1) Fender Deluxe Reverb at 10: unplug the cable from the input -> soft pop noise
    2) Kemper with a similar profile into a DXR10 (set to a volume to match the Fender at 10) -> pretty loud pop noise

It is irrelevant if the Fender is miced and played through a hugh PA, or if the Kemper is played through a hugh PA. What counts is the signal to pop-noise ratio which is definitively much worst on the Kemper compared to any well serviced tube amp I had. It is comparable to a tube amp with grounding issues in my opinion.

I love my Kemper, it is ok that it is not perfect. It is still a great tool. Do I unplug the cable form my (miced) tube amp: yes. Do I do that with my Kemper: absolutely no.

Instead of arguing against the observation of @Priami everybody could be curious and test it, compare and measure the results....who knows, maybe the input of the Kemper could be improved and we all could benefit from not blowing up the PA when we (accidentally) unplug the cable.

I have started profiling my deluxe reverb. I made many profiles with the same amp settings and mic (sm57 straight into the KPA) with different mic positions.
    With different positions I mean anything between close to 2 m away and 1 m above the speaker.

The result is really interesting (and useful for recording real amps :) ). The sound changes from bright to dark. Angling the mic resulted in a scooped sound. I recommend putting the mic at your ear position when you play. This was a nice surprise. It gives much more amp in the room feeling.

Welcome!

I had the Line6 M9 but sold it...don't remember for what, but it was long before the kemper.

Since you mentioned the looper:
    The M9 has some really nice features like overdub level (which the Kemper does not have) and it is very easy to control. No need to tripple step to start a new loop. I have always liked line6 loopers for their intuitive design.
    I find the functionality superior to the Kemper looper. If I remember right you could also assign the playback and overdub level to expression pedals.

But: I always felt that general sound quality through the line6 was not great. Especially in combination with other digital devices.

The Kemper looper is great. Hopefully it will receive a little update one day ;)
    - overdub level footswitch/exp assignable
    - playback level (with an increased range 0% - 200%), footswitch/exp assignable
    - delete loop, assignable to footswitch

Sound quality is great, no additional AD/DA conversion.

The effects of the Kemper are all better in my opinion.

I would still keep the M9 if you like the looper because the Kemper might not offer what you are used to.

Cheers,
    Karsten

Hi Chad,

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. Very interesting.
    I have much less technical understanding and found your explanation was very helpful.

Cheers!
    Karsten