Posts by Very Random Man

maybe you didn't understand exactly what profiling is. It is not sampling.

Uh huh. I realise that. I used sampled instruments to help illustrate the concept. ;)

Maybe I've not explained my idea well enough. I'll give it another go. Here's a basic take on it.

Currently if I want have a rig that is mid-gain crunch and want an authentic hi-gain lead variant I need to load a new profile for the variant. I could tweak the profile but the more i do that, the less authentic it becomes. My suggestion in its rawest form is to combine both profiles so that when using a single rig turning the gain knob changes from one profile to the other.

Obviously it gets more complicated when you want to add further gain stages and what do with the intervening gain settings (e.g. artificially de/increasing gain until the next profile is hit, discrete profile changes, or some kind of clever interpolation, etc).

three or four different gain levels wound have been enough IMHO

Yeah, could be. One of those 'suck it and see' things. I'm sure the engineers would figure it out. :)

In the early days of sampling instruments you'd trigger a single sample that was pitch-shifted to the note you played. The next step was multi-sampled instruments where you'd trigger a different sample with different notes, the result being an increase in realism.

How about applying this concept to rigs to make tweaking rigs more akin to tweaking the knobs on the physical amp?

For example a user could create ten profiles of an amp which were identical except with the gain set from 1 to 10 and combine them into a singe multi-profile rig and interpolate (morph?) between them as the user turns the gain knob up and down.

That's a simple use based on gain but if you wanted open-ended possibilities you could make it possible to choose which profiles are varied on different controls. So my simple example would be 10 profiles spread over the gain knob but you could do the same thing for the presence or EQ controls as well. Obviously multi-profiling an amp would have the potential to take a long time as you're looking at hundreds of profiles for a single rig but that rig would feel more authentic to a user playing with the knobs.

To make it accessible to casual profilers as well as professionals you could make it up to the user how many profiles are combined. So I might only want to profile my amp with gain settings ranging from 4 to 8 but a company wanting to recreate the amp as a premium product might do many combinations of gain and EQ. For that last example the profiler could combine 10 gain levels and 3 settings (0 - middle - max) for each EQ knob (Bass, Middle, Treble). It's still a lot of profiles for a single rig -- 10 x 3 x 3 x 3 = 270! -- but i think that's still less work than goes into a lot of sample libraries; just look at something like Superior Drummer with different samples for all drums at different velocities with each hand plus all the different mic placements, etc.

You could also add amp channel profiles into rigs too rather than treating them as separate rigs so you could could end up with a single multi-profile rigs that allowed a user to change channels and play with gain like they would with a physical amp.

Any thoughts? Too complicated to be feasible? Would the interpolation between profiles sound rubbish and defeat the purpose of it? I've got no idea! Just seemed like a good idea when i was playing with profiles. :)

Thanks for the input everyone. I contacted Support and they did some troubleshooting. It appears that the remote is changing pedal values as soon as i plug it in so the Volume pedal goes from 127 (max) to 7. The other pedal values changed a bit too. Bit weird but at least i have a workaround until it's fixed. i.e. manually change the pedal values in the System menu.

My support ticket is ongoing so I'll update this thread if I learn any more but I thought i'd write this in case anyone else is in the same position. I'm assuming it's a beta firmware thing.

Very pleased with my first Kemper Support experience. Excellent response time. :)

UPDATE:
    To fix this problem I needed to navigate to the Remote pedal settings in the System menu and set them to Off. All good now.