Posts by philbrown

oh haha, just see your second posted message :thumbup: Thanks Phil !!

I'm liking a lot of these, Bert. Excellent job!! We have some similar tastes in sounds and the I'm very aware now of the input sensitivities. I think your package is a great deal! [no double entendre intended]

Wow, Bert's profiles are right up my alley. Coolness. I just had a big realization - the Clean and Distortion Sens parameters are global and not per-rig. That's big. Also I think the Distortion sens is the magic parameter I've been looking for. I backed it off a bit and it makes a HUGE difference in the 'fizziness' department. OTOH I like the Clean Sens set pretty high. The Kemper is deep!

@ db9091

Thanks for the good info! I will dive into the global parameters and also the Distortion sensitivity. All good advice. Much appreciated.

@ Michael_dk - Thanks for your reply. As a long time studio guy I am aware of clocking issues and was a bit surprised when it worked fine set to internal (none of the usual clicks and pops) so I just left it alone. Just now I went back and forth and although it's subtle, I think it does sound slightly better when clocking to SPDIF. Time will tell if that affects anything else negatively.

@ Money Man - I went ahead and bought Bert M's whole package. It was $90 for 200+ profiles - the price of a cheap pedal. Basically got the Acoustic ones free, which is cool because I have both steel string and nylon string Variax guitars. Some variety is nice with acoustic sounds too. Well I'm off to listen to profiles and probably not get any tracking done! Hopefully I'll get inspired though and actually get some tracks done. :)

Really appreciate this board and the nice knowledgable folks here.

Thanks Michael. I'm at 44.1 but the Apollo is set to internal clock. Not sure of the downside of switching the clock to S/PDIF it but it sounds great (with pedals) so my feeling is not that's not the issue, although it could be. I may go back to using analog ins just for comparison.

Thanks Money Man. I just cut some tracks using one of Bert M's profiles. I went on a bit of buying spree when I first got the thing and have some of M Britt's, The Amp factory and a couple from Top Jimi. I think the Bert M one I used was a freebie. I'll check into the ones you mentioned.

This board is set up quite differently than others I'm on so I'm still slowly figuring out where everything is.

I might be overthinking, but I've been using these pedals in front of an amp for so long (I've had those Marshall pedals since they were new) that I really feel the subtleties of the guitar-pedal interaction. Of course that's never going to be exactly duplicated by the Kemper and I don't mean that as a slight. Also this was more of a curiosity question as I am VERY happy with the pedal+Kemper and perfectly fine with using it that way while continuing to learn the K as I have more time and experience with it.

One thing I like to do with my profiles and pedals, is add a bit of the direct guitar signal to the rig. It adds a little more of the guitar character as well as the pedal character. I add an amount from 2 - 4 depending on the profile. You will find this under the amplifier section of your profile.

Give it a go!

I will- thanks for the tip, drog!

No, I think it's fine here. Start a new thread if you don't feel you get enough responses maybe :)
    Hmmm... Do you have the ability to record a sample of the higher gain stuff you're talking about?

I assume you're familiar with the sound of a mic'ed up amp for these kinds of levels of gain, is that correct? (I mean, as opposed to hearing just the speaker cab). If you haven't tried them already, I'd point you toward the profiles of Guido - for example the bogner XTC profiles.

Also: How are you monitoring?

Thanks for the reply, Michael. I'll look into the Guido profiles.

I run through my usual Apollo and monitor through Mackie 824's + sub, same as I've used for years. You know it just now occurred to me that I've used my Carr Viceroy for years mic'd with an AEA R92 ribbon mic which is relatively dark, but a beautiful smooth sound I like and have gotten used to because the Vicroy gets as bright as you want so I can get bright-yet-smooth. I'm going to try some different EQ possibilities placed at different points in the gain chain. Open to suggestion on that. Is there an overall output EQ? I'll look that up.

I'm reluctant to post examples of people's efforts profiling and presenting them in negative light.

EDIT: I'm coming in S/PDIF.

Thanks again!
    Background: I’ve been gigging since the 60’s (yes, I’m old) using tube amps. I mostly use pushed-clean sounds up through mid smooth-distortion sounds. Yes I know “smooth distortion” is an oxymoron. And then for leads pushed further, but nowhere near metal sounds.

So I’ve had a chance to use the Kemper a while now tracking guitar on our album. What I said in my original post I feel even more strongly. I’ve spent a few hundred dollars on profiles and gone through the freebies. I’ve gotten some excellent tracks by pairing up clean or nearly-clean profiles with some of my favorite boost and overdrive pedals, as shown in the picture. When I try to track with the higher gain sounds just using the Kemper I’m hearing a high-end fizzy digital-ness that I really don’t dig and it’s pretty much present across various profiles from various sources, some more than others. EQ doesn’t get rid of it. But as long as I use my favorite pedals in front with the cleaner profiles, all is golden. When I read some of the posts here people seem to say the opposite- where are the good clean profiles? Even with the clean profiles though, I’m generally using a mild clean boost into the front end. I’ve tried to dive in and learn some of the deeper parameters but I admit I don’t really understand all of them yet. Am I missing some parameter settings that would help?

TIA,

Phil

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39621222/Pedals%20kemper.jpg]

Hi, I'm new here, but I love the vibe and plan to stay.
    I've been playing a Carr Viceroy for years - clean
    with various pedals to get tones.
    The more I treat the Kemper similarly (well, sorta)
    the more it suits me.

The plan on this song is to purposely do a long fade-out.
    The song is unmixed and I cut this and posted unedited.

Playing a Suhr Classic Pro on the ending of an original Oversouls track demo-ing the Kemper Amp with a Marshall Shredmaster in front. A bit of Wave's H-Delay in post but that's all. Bert Meulendijk BM Fan Showgirl 62 Clean kemper profile.

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…621222/Kemper%20Shred.jpg]

http://soundcloud.com/the-oversouls/mainstay-21-end-lead

Does any of you 100+ actually use all? =O

I try to keep my number down as much as I can.
    Right now I have about 30 profiles, but soon I will try to cut it down to 10-15 or so.

Many are copies of each other that I have tweaked with different cabs and such.

Hi- I'm new here. Great forum, much appreciated! Hello to Monkeyman if he sees this. We go way back on MOTUnation.

If I was gigging live that's about what I would do like 20-30. But I bought mine for studio use (used) and it came with 900 in it. I dumped everything and started going through what was available and bought a few packages so now I have about 480 of what I call usable sounds. No, I won't use all of them even in the next 10 years but when you're playing 8 or 9 different guitars and trying to get a variety of sounds in the studio, choices are good. I mostly view them as starting points. Some are just odd 'stunt' settings I like but may not ever use. I admit it can get overwhelming though, and I also play keyboards so I'm familiar with the '2000 preset problem'.