Posts by BoshiGuitar

Hey,

Ive been adding some EQs before the AMP, between AMP and Cab, and also after the Cab. (Got the idea from a Kemper video on youtube by Gundy Keller on getting an EVH sound)
    I also changed the Profile to "Orange TH 30 2" and put in Lead Booster like @ckemper said and tried a bit out on the definition control.
    I have to admit that I didnt use some of these settings before, because I wasnt aware of them or I thought it wouldnt be as of a big deal.

This is what worked for me and might work for you:

- Playing around with definition settings ( by holding Amp / Cab button for a sec )
    - Adding several EQs in different points of the signal chain ( Before The Amp, Between Amp and Cab, after the Cab )
    - Using some booster for treble / gain ( before the Amp )
    ---> After doing these things I had to turn down my Gain because of the booster, but the overall quality and "directness" of the sound was much better.

I hope this helps others! ;)
    If you got anything to add, feel free to do so :thumbup:

I just heard that active pickups in particular lose sound quality, maybe its not the same with passive ones and maybe its not even true.

Back to the point:
    I cant afford changing my pickups right now and Im sure I dont have to do it in order to get a better sound.
    I know I am not a professional and I must be doing some mistakes which make my sound quality underwhelming.
    Do you have any tips for getting the best out of my setup? Maybe a short guide or something that might help.
    Im sure a lot of guys right here have a similar setup with EMG pickups and record via SPDIF just like me and get more out of it.

That would be so great,
    Cheers :)

Thanks for answering @Jimi71 , thats pretty cool!
    I should try different pickups then.
    Ill get a friend over here and test with another guitar.. my pickups are about 7 years old.
    I switched the battery right before I recorded this but I read that active pickups lose quality over time.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for joining the discussion so far!
    The DI signal by Jimi would be really amazing..
    Some other profiles (for example the ReampZone Mesa Boogie Recto) sounded better than the Jimi profile with my Setup.
    Also thanks for the Sinmix profiles, they sound pretty good :)

But I want to put the focus on comparing my sound with the Top Jimi profile to Jimis sound with his own profiles.

I still dont see where the big quality difference is coming from:
    Its like yeah pickups matter, but Ive heard better recordings with the same pickups that I use.
    EMG 81/85 are even built into more expensive E-II models, which sound awesome, so I guess its not the major reason in my case.
    Turning cab mode on/off changes the sound a bit, but I have to say I went with Cab on and liked it more than Cab off.

It feels like running in circles...I cant find the reason why Jimis sound example sounds waaaay better and tweaking all those small things doesnt lead to a major change :P

I have plenty of questions:

Do your high gain profiles sound better compared to mine?
    Does anybody get their sound quality close to the top jimi profile sound?
    Or is there a better way to record than via SPDIF? (like micing up a guitar cab for a more real sound?)

Im just curious if this is the sound I should expect when Im using my Kemper.

Hey StratGuru,

I just checked that MB Recto profile out and I pretty much like what I hear! Got it saved in my favorites now. ^^

Soo and I also went from Kemper -(Main Out Left/Right)-> HS8 , but the sound of the Top Jimi profile was pretty much the same.
    There was just one thing I noticed: The Main Out, which I used for the HS8, was a lot louder than the SPDIF Out.
    Could that be the reason for the difference of sound quality?

Good evening,

So Im trying to answer as accurate as possible :) :

MentaL: Distortion Sense is at -2.0 dB right now but it was set to 0 dB initially. I was playing with the settings for the recording and ended up getting my "best" results at -2.0 dB

deadpan: I just checked the profile once more, but dont see any compressor in the effects section

RushFan1976: I guess u mean the standard setting like bass, middle, trebble, presence? I tried a lot of different settings about that already and this is my personal favorite setting

Thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate that.

Could it be that this Top Jimi guy just went into a 2x12" box and miced that up for a more realistic "room sound"?

Hey,

Thanks for answering so fast, I made a short recording to get you an idea of my issue:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I just recorded 1 guitar track and panned it to the middle, no EQ or compression used in my DAW.

Here is the reference from the same profile by Top Jimi, which sounds much better than my recording I think:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hey guys,

As the title says, Im unhappy with my Kemper high gain sounds and desperately try to fix this issue.
    Im reading this forum since a few weeks but couldnt find any solutions that fits to me, so I just decided to make this post.
    So I just tried out a lot of things like changing settings and testing many free profiles.
    I even purchased some Top Jimi High Gain Sounds recently but my results are far away from what Ive heard in that preview.
    To describe my high gain sounds shortly: They are pretty weak, sound far away, kinda lifeless and powerless.

So my signal chain looks like this:
    Guitar (ESP LTD MH401 with EMG81+85) --> Kemper -(SPDIF)-> Audio Interface (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6) -(USB)-> Yamaha HS8 boxes / Computer : DAW : Cubase

Some things to add:
    - There is no huge difference in using headphones in the headphone jack of the kemper or going through the end of the chain
    - Cab Mode is On
    - SPDIF Volume is on 0db (which is maximum)
    - Input / Output dont clip
    - Space -> HeadphOnly checkbox is not actiavted, so I get that space through the other outputs too

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for helping! ;)

Greetings,
    Boshi